Mars in 3D VR experience

Wm Turner

I’ve made a VR experience from stereo pairs taken by the NASA Perseverance rover. There are 30 stereo views along with music (you have to unmute the audio) should work in browser on most major VR headsets. I’m really enjoying finding the stereo pairs from the rover photos and putting them together. I want everyone to be able to enjoy them too. The link is below. William
https://orbix360.com/L3ENPo927

Bob Aldridge

Hmm, well, FirefoxVR on my Quest2 told me to "set my browser to request the mobile version" of the site to get the full, immersive experience - but I haven't found a way to do that... As a result I just get a rather small image in the centre of my field of view...

Bob Aldridge

On 07/06/2021 00:58, Wm Turner wrote:
I’ve made a VR experience from stereo pairs taken by the NASA Perseverance rover. There are 30 stereo views along with music (you have to unmute the audio) should work in browser on most major VR headsets. I’m really enjoying finding the stereo pairs from the rover photos and putting them together. I want everyone to be able to enjoy them too. The link is below. William
https://orbix360.com/L3ENPo927

Wm Turner

Hi Bob, you’ll have to click on the white icon that looks like glasses. If you want the music you’ll have to unmute before you click the glasses icon. I’ve tested in Firefox VR and it works fine, the navigation controls are near the ground and you trigger them by looking at them. Hope this helps
William

Bob Aldridge

OK. I'll give it a go, later :-)

Bob Aldridge

On 07/06/2021 17:00, Wm Turner wrote:
Hi Bob, you’ll have to click on the white icon that looks like glasses. If you want the music you’ll have to unmute before you click the glasses icon. I’ve tested in Firefox VR and it works fine, the navigation controls are near the ground and you trigger them by looking at them. Hope this helps
William

Brian Schott

The images are amazing. Even with my slow internet speed I see incredible detail and can take my time viewing each picture. One picture stood out because it looks like a dry stream bed with rocks on the bottom. The picture is in the second batch of images and once I looked at them this image was in the northeast corner, the next time I looked at them this image was in the south of my viewing. So it is a little difficult to name the picture. But the impression is clear that either water or wind formed the stream.
Brian

Bob Aldridge

OK. Now I get decent sized images presented as if I am in a cube with windows on the four vertical sides, and I see different image through the windows. I can change the views by looking at the "navigation buttons" until, after a circle has been drawn around the wanted arrow, the view will image will change.

A few of the images are a bit difficult to view - often they are fine in the foreground, but unfuseable in the distance... But even so, an impressive resource!

Well done

Bob Aldridge

On 07/06/2021 17:00, Wm Turner wrote:
Hi Bob, you’ll have to click on the white icon that looks like glasses. If you want the music you’ll have to unmute before you click the glasses icon. I’ve tested in Firefox VR and it works fine, the navigation controls are near the ground and you trigger them by looking at them. Hope this helps
William

Wm Turner

Thank you, it is believed that Mars did have water early in its history. But wind erosion is the most likely suspect these days.

Wm Turner

Thank you Bob. Some of the images have pretty extreme positive parallax, unfortunately I have no control over the stereo base. But I’ll keep looking through the raw images and maybe someday there’ll be another Mars in 3D experience.

Borys Wasiuk

Hi,
Great job with those pictures!
Is there a similar service or an application to make video for VR viewers?
Borys