Topics

M4/3 cameras that will recognize the Panasonic 3D lens?

I have been unable to find a list of  M4/3 cameras that will "recognize" the Panasonic 3D lens. Do you have one, Francois? The GH2 and GX1,7,8 are the only ones I know of for sure.  And you mention the GH3 and GH4. Possibly the G2, GF2, and G3 , and the Olympus PEN EP-5 and the Olympus OM-D EM-1, based on info in reviews.  I thought I saw somewhere a reference to the Olympus OM-D EM-5 working with it, but I am less certain of that and cannot find the reference now. At this point I am wondering which cameras recognize the lens at all to use "auto mpo mode", even if the GH2 is the only model that gives mpos with 1920 wide images.

The 3D lens should "fit" on any of the M4/3 cameras, and it will likely work OK in "taped contact mode" on all of them. If they are able to shoot  "without a lens", anyway. On my gx7, I was prompted to go into settings and enable "shoot w/o lens", and then the camera would capture the uncropped image pair (in RAW or jpg as selected), or can shoot video.  Linda

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 9:21 PM Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 04:06 PM, Linda N wrote:
I am curious what the "automatic mpos" would show for pixel dimensions in 4:3 and also in 1:1 aspect ratio with your GH5

The problem there is that the 3D (MPO) mode (where the camera body recognizes the 3D lens) no longer exists on the GH5.  The GH3 and GH4 do recognize the 3D lens.  However they loose the multi-aspect ratio sensor so end up producing a file that is the same size as with the GX7.

Francois

Jeff Ewen

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/MicroFourThirds_lens.html

List of compatible Olympus cameras at bottom of page. plus the following reference to incompatible Panasonic cameras

It can not be used for the following Micro Four Thirds camera body (DMC-G1, DMC-G10, DMC-GF1,DMC-GH1). And all of Four Thirds body also.

Hope this is of some help

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.  I had looked at that page earlier but missed the h-f012 lens down near the bottom of the page. And the footnote

The short list of excluded Panasonic cameras suggests that the others (that were released after the introduction of the 3D lens) SHOULD work . At least at the time this the list was compiled. But maybe not all later models such as the GH5??? Linda

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:19 AM Jeff Ewen <jeffewen888@...> wrote:
https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/MicroFourThirds_lens.html

List of compatible Olympus cameras at bottom of page. plus the following reference to incompatible Panasonic cameras

It can not be used for the following Micro Four Thirds camera body (DMC-G1, DMC-G10, DMC-GF1,DMC-GH1). And all of Four Thirds body also.

Hope this is of some help

Jeff

I see that the Panasonic document in the link is dated 8/2020,  so is it true that the GH5 and other more recent models DO have compatibility with and recognize the 3d lens? -Linda

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:35 AM Linda N via groups.io <ljnygren=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Jeff.  I had looked at that page earlier but missed the h-f012 lens down near the bottom of the page. And the footnote

The short list of excluded Panasonic cameras suggests that the others (that were released after the introduction of the 3D lens) SHOULD work . At least at the time this the list was compiled. But maybe not all later models such as the GH5??? Linda

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:19 AM Jeff Ewen <jeffewen888@...> wrote:
https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/MicroFourThirds_lens.html

List of compatible Olympus cameras at bottom of page. plus the following reference to incompatible Panasonic cameras

It can not be used for the following Micro Four Thirds camera body (DMC-G1, DMC-G10, DMC-GF1,DMC-GH1). And all of Four Thirds body also.

Hope this is of some help

Jeff

Depthcam

Essentially, even though the 3D lens will work on a number of bodies, only a few of those bodies have higher resolution sensors.  Therefore, it's best to stay away from the GF series even though many of the publicity pictures for the 3D lens were showing the lens mounted on GF series cameras because it looked "really cool" on them !!!

The G2 also has a much smaller sensor than the GH2 so is not an option either.  And the problem with GH3 and GH4 is that they again provide no bigger an image than the GX1 or GX7 but are far bulkier.

So essentially, it comes down to GH2 as being the only Lumix that offers full HD and GX1, GX7, GH3 and GH4 that offer "next best".

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:43 AM, Linda N wrote:
so is it true that the GH5 and other more recent models DO have compatibility with and recognize the 3d lens?

No.  If you look at the output format list, GH5 only records files as RAW or JPG - not as MPO.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-mirrorless-dslm-cameras/dc-gh5.specs.html

Francois

I suppose that it makes sense that a camera such as the GH5 designed primarily for video shooting would be less likely to "recognize" the lens,  which will inactivate the video function. But only a few photographers/videographers, like John H, are aware that the lens will work on these "non-compatible" m4/3 cameras, and are interested and savvy enough to do the editing needed.

Francois, I am unable to find similar spec sheets for other camera models on the Panasonic site. But the "mpo" image file listing certainly is a great clue that a given camera will accept and recognize the 3D lens. On the B&H site, the GH2 is mentioned to accept the 3D lens on the overview page, and the (16.84/16 mp) G7 and G85 appear to be compatible since they do show mpo as an image file type in the specs. The GH4, GH5, GX85, GX9, G9, G95, and G100 models do NOT include mpo as a file type. 8-(

Has anyone tried the 3D lens with one of the Olympus M4/3 models? Presumably compatible models would give results similar to the Panny  GX1/7/8.  Linda

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 1:17 AM Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:43 AM, Linda N wrote:
so is it true that the GH5 and other more recent models DO have compatibility with and recognize the 3d lens?

No.  If you look at the output format list, GH5 only records files as RAW or JPG - not as MPO.

https://www.panasonic.com/nz/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-mirrorless-dslm-cameras/dc-gh5.specs.html

Francois
,_._,_

Depthcam

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM, Linda N wrote:
The GH4, GH5, GX85, GX9, G9, G95, and G100 models do NOT include mpo as a file type.

As I wrote earlier, the GH4 does output MPO with the 3D lens.  See:

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/support/discontinued/cameras-camcorders/dmc-gh4.specs.html

Francois

Sorry for the error. One reference I saw did not mention the mpo format for the GH4. (I was not able to find all the official specs for the various models on the panasonic site, as I mentioned earlier. I am having better luck now finding the official specs by starting with google searches and scrolling down to the official sites, rather than starting the search on a panasonic site.)

Francois did indeed write:
"> So essentially, it comes down to GH2 as being the only Lumix that offers full HD and GX1, GX7, GH3 and GH4 that offer "next best".
So we can add to your list of "next best" (resolution) the GX8, G7 and G85 for full compatibility with automatic mpo output.

And presumably any of the other non-compatible 16+ mp m4/3 mount cameras are capable of using the lens as John H does, capturing uncropped RL images that can be post-processed in SPM to a bit higher than HD resolution. Or even with compatible cameras, one can cover the contacts to get these unprocessed images, and/or video, if desired. Linda

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM, Linda N wrote:
The GH4, GH5, GX85, GX9, G9, G95, and G100 models do NOT include mpo as a file type.

As I wrote earlier, the GH4 does output MPO with the 3D lens.  See:

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/support/discontinued/cameras-camcorders/dmc-gh4.specs.html

So what is the conclusion for image ratio for best results - 4:3?  If model camera makes a difference I have a Panny GX1

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 14:23, Linda N
<ljnygren@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, 4:3 is best in most cases. George's pixel dimension output numbers apply to your camera's mpos:
• 1824 x 1368 (4:3 - With 3D lens)
• 1824 x 1216 (3:2 - With 3D lens)
• 1824 x 1024 (16:9 - With 3D lens)
• 1712 x 1712 (1:1 - With 3D lens)

So in most cases, 4:3 is best and gives you the largest image. One exception to this rule is if you know you are going to crop to square or portrait aspect, you will get more height from the 1:1 setting. (Or you could tape your contacts and get unprocessed images if you really need maximum height.)  I personally use 1:1 when I know I am going to be making 3x3 print pairs for stereocards. Linda

Depthcam

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 01:23 PM, Linda N wrote:
So we can add to your list of "next best" (resolution) the GX8, G7 and G85 for full compatibility with automatic mpo output.

I left the GX8 out on account of the fact it has a higher resolution but still ends up giving the same resolution as the GX7.  I did miss the G7 and G85 altogether because I did not know about them.  But then again, the MPO resolution is the same as the GX1 and GX7.

Anyway, I think I'd stick with the GX1 or GX7 primarily for their more compact size.

Francois

Barry Aldous

As Linda says, using 1:1 aspect ratio is useful for Stereocard views.  I would also add that it is purposeful for side-by-side viewing on mobile phones and at the Zoom meetings; my own needs are exactly these.

My Sony Xperia 4K phone is used in conjunction with a Cyclopital3D viewer, while The Stereoscopic Society Zoom meetings generally share side by side images.
My Panasonic GX-7 is used constantly with the 3D lens, of which I have two, one shimmed with a split 'O' ring and the other fitted with a Hoya 4+ supplementary lens.  Both these configurations bring the focal distance of the lens down to a near point of around 6".

I should add that my main purpose for the GX-7 is close-up natural history photography, particularly Butterflies, Bees and time-lapse subjects; the lens is also very good for Splash photography.  All of these fit very well into the 1:1 Aspect ratio.

When cropping is required, and often is, I use Topaz 'AI' upscaling and sharpening software to enhance the images.

Barry Aldous