Fujifilm W3 not functioning

Oktay

When I turn on my W3 the following message is displayed on the screen:

TURN OFF THE CAMERA
AND TURN ON AGAIN

Turning on and off brings the same message again and again.  A slight and short  bzzzz  sound is also heard during turning on and off.
Did anyone encounter the same problem with the W3?

Oktay

robert mcafee

Someone had posted in past that Fuji has some plastic pins that zoom the lenses and these pins are soft, they wear, and may sometimes stick. This may explain why one of the pair of images is sometimes not well focused.

My guess is the lenses zoom in and out at power up as a functional check and one of yours is not moving. But I have no data to support this.

I will say that if you purchase a replacement then keep or sell the defective one for parts. The autostereoscopic display alone should have value to someone with a failed display and it may not be too difficult to change out.  I remember seeing new original W3 displays on eBay for $50 or less. Last time I saw one it was listed for $300 and did eventually sell.

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 3:36 PM, Oktay via groups.io <akdens2@...> wrote:

When I turn on my W3 the following message is displayed on the screen:

TURN OFF THE CAMERA
AND TURN ON AGAIN

Turning on and off brings the same message again and again.  A slight and short  bzzzz  sound is also heard during turning on and off.
Did anyone encounter the same problem with the W3?

Oktay

Depthcam

> This may explain why one of the pair of images is sometimes not well focused.

The focus problem is a different problem than the zoom problem.  The focus problem is actually due to the fact that each lens on the W3 focuses independently so that, in some cases, one lens will focus on a nearby subject while the other will focus on a subject further away.  The reason for this is because it is required in the advanced 3D mode where each lens must be able to focus independently.  The same occurs with twn camera rigs where again each lens may focus at a different distance.

In respect to Oktay's problem, that "bzzz" sound may indeed suggest a problem with the zoom mechanism.  But that would only be the case if you have been making extensive use of the zoom over the life of the camera.

Recalling the posting where the pin problem was described, the individual replaced the plastic pins with metal (somehow).

Anyone have a service manual for the W3?

Anyone know if Fuji is still servicing the W3?  May guess would be they are not.

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

In case someone needs a W3, I have one to sell new in box never opened.

Martin Schub

On the plastic parts wearing out: The styling and spec similarities of the 2D Fuji Finepix Z-series cameras from about this time has made me wonder whether some of the internal parts might be interchangeable with the W1/W3, so that cheap used 2D cameras might be a source of replacement parts.  For example, the Fuji Finepix Z30 has a 35-105mm zoom and a 1/2.3", 10 megapixel sensor, just like the Fuji W1 and W3, and it was introduced in 2009, like the W1.  The same is true of the Fuji Z20fd (2008), the Z35 (2009), and the Z37 (2009).  I don't have a good feel for the used prices of these, but it might be something to think about.

Oktay

I'll try the Fujifilm Service first.
If they are unable to repair it or the repair cost is more than a used camera , I will buy a second hand W3.

In spite of it's mediocre image quality especially in low light, I use this pocketable camera frequently because its very practical and useful.

Oktay

robert mcafee

Someone in the NY club stated they had a failed W3 they sent back for repair and Fuji just sent the a new (or refurbished) camera.

Recently there was a W3 for sale for parts (not working). I contacted Fuji USA service to see if they work service or had replacements. In USA service or replacement is no longer available (at least according to the service person with whom I spoke)

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 3:51 PM, Oktay via groups.io <akdens2@...> wrote:

I'll try the Fujifilm Service first.
If they are unable to repair it or the repair cost is more than a used camera , I will buy a second hand W3.

In spite of it's mediocre image quality especially in low light, I use this pocketable camera frequently because its very practical and useful.

Oktay

That info fits with what I remember from several years ago. In the past, Fuji would sent a replacement refurbished camera if under warranty ( or extended manufacturer  warranty ) , for the standard repair price. And later they stopped accepting W3s for repair. Panasonic had similar policies for their 3D1 camera, and will no longer repair them. As I recall, both companies thought customers would be happy to get a newer 2D camera as a replacement. 8-(      Linda

On Jun 16, 2021, at 3:38 PM, robert mcafee via groups.io <geargod2@...> wrote:

 Someone in the NY club stated they had a failed W3 they sent back for repair and Fuji just sent the a new (or refurbished) camera.

Recently there was a W3 for sale for parts (not working). I contacted Fuji USA service to see if they work service or had replacements. In USA service or replacement is no longer available (at least according to the service person with whom I spoke)

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 3:51 PM, Oktay via groups.io <akdens2@...> wrote:

I'll try the Fujifilm Service first.
If they are unable to repair it or the repair cost is more than a used camera , I will buy a second hand W3.

In spite of it's mediocre image quality especially in low light, I use this pocketable camera frequently because its very practical and useful.

Oktay

John Clement

Whatever happened to the repair services?  We had a 30 year old Maytag washer that could still be repaired!  Hopefully a newer 3D camera will come out to replace the W3.  Do they really think a 2D camera is a reasonable replacement?

John M. Clement

That info fits with what I remember from several years ago. In the past, Fuji would sent a replacement refurbished camera if under warranty ( or extended manufacturer  warranty ) , for the standard repair price. And later they stopped accepting W3s for repair. Panasonic had similar policies for their 3D1 camera, and will no longer repair them. As I recall, both companies thought customers would be happy to get a newer 2D camera as a replacement. 8-(      Linda

_._,_._,_