Z-Configuration Rigs for Sony Cameras

Mark Blum

I put together a Z-configuration rig for Sony cameras (or likely any twin camera pair) using stock mounting parts. It's stable, accurate, highly adaptable and BIG. Great in some situations, but too big for casual or inconspicuous photography. Is anyone offering a compact Z-Bar solution for Sony A series cameras at this time?

Mark Blum

Another view.

Bill Costa as just a member

I put together a Z-configuration rig for Sony cameras (or likely any twin camera pair) using stock mounting parts.

Impressive.  You must have liked Tinker Toys and Erector sets as a kid.  I know I did!  Do you have an idea about how all the framing bits cost?

It's stable, accurate, highly adaptable and BIG.

I'll say.  It's not clear if this is something you can hold and shoot, or if it requires a tripod to use.

Is anyone offering a compact Z-Bar solution for Sony A series cameras at this time?

Excellent question.

Another question I have for you is how you are electrically linking the cameras together?  Is that cord plugged into the top of the camera?

--
Bill.Costa@...
No good deed goes unpunished.

Depthcam

> Is anyone offering a compact Z-Bar solution for Sony A series cameras at this time?

There is an extensive discussion about a compact Z-bar being offered by one Ron Anchak on the Sony 3D group.  However, last I heard, David Gadbois was never able to get a clear response from Ron as to whether he was actually willing to make anymore.

https://groups.io/g/Sony3d/topic/z_bracket_for_sony_mirrorless/76358390

Francois

forum@trivision3d.com

JMH/trivision3d : well done, this rig looks very professional, but yes, too big for some situation.

There was a discussion some time ago on a French 3D list of cinema professionals. They use for wide angle lenses, a 4K resolution and a foreground at 4m (for example a car), a center distance of only 20mm between lenses. I replied that amateurs with the "thirtieth" rule which does not take into account the focal length ... meant that amateurs with much larger distances between lenses. The thirtieth rule gives for any focal length for a 1st shot at 4m ... an adjustment of 120 mm center distance. They laughed and answered that the 3D of the amateurs is certainly way too strong (especially way too deep) ... but "magic" for their eyes of clubists become very elastic. One of them privately sent me the image bellow showing cameras with center distance between lenses from amateurs... who amuse them.

Okay, but the pros do not do better than the amateurs on the other hand in projection ... they also regulate them too much on a screen (post production for) the gap between two homologous points of infinity. So for my partners and me, it's the blind who laugh at the deaf!
Anyway... The pros use beamsplitter rigs (mirror like prompter).

From small...beam spliter rig for Go-pro sync + anaglyph control monitor

To very big beam spliter rig

I'm between the two worlds (Amateurs Vs pro 3D cinema)... as I made more than 100.000 stereo photos (slides to digital and conversion 2D/3D), I'm now starting in 3D video... so I'm doing with my little means (build myself my rig beamspliter and find 4K cameras (with a lot of lenses, even zoom, I-R) which are suitable + Sbs sync circuit and micro computer to manage everything. I still have to adapt a trigger button to the microcomputer (because it's a monitor connected to the computer... and you have to indicate the duration of the shot... so for the moment a studio cam). Lithium rechargeable battery to be foreseen, or even a small solar panel to recharge.

My cam now is ready and first shoot Sbs 4K L + 4K R well done. The interest of the circuit that I found with difficulty... as well as the cam... is that there is also possibility to record the colors by one of the two objectives... and a deptmaph by the other. This opens up possibilities for tablets and Light Field monitors (Holo Play, etc.) it takes a large number of perspectives (Holo Play 45)... so it takes dephtmap, because how do you want to have a small interaxis with 45 synchronized cameras. The future of 3D (shoot and 2D/3D conversion) is with Dephmap.

It can be used with appropriate lenses, to scan View Master discs in twin 4K. On the other hand, the stereo circuit of synch Sbs does not allow to change the FPS speed of recording (for example accelerated to have a slow motion in broadcast) 😕

I still have to connect it now to my rig beamspliter bellow which for the moment uses only two Sony V1 RBT synchronized (in photo the resolution goes up to a bit under 2K, but the video is much too weak)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Mark Blum

Replying to Bill’s questions, I think the cost of the rig the way I set it up with Small Rig components was a few hundred dollars. The same components can be used for a side-by-side mount that is twice as long. And of course it can be extended further with longer rods, which can also be joined together. There are more economical set ups one could do. Also, it’s only as big as it is so that it will do hyper‘s. If that’s not needed, it can be more compact. I have used it handheld and on a tripod. With the cameras and batteries, it weighs 5.8 pounds.

The cameras on the rig are the Sony A5100. They are hardwired for shutter sync through the pop up flash opening. The flashes are removed. The bodies are also hardwired for zoom control, but that did not work out well. The zoom function is not synchronous.

timo@guildwood.net

On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Mark Blum <markb@...> wrote:

The cameras on the rig are the Sony A5100. They are hardwired for shutter sync through the pop up flash opening. The flashes are removed. The bodies are also hardwired for zoom control, but that did not work out well. The zoom function is not synchronous.

Do you have details on how you wired these up?

I disassembled an a5100 and found internal points to solder to, but they are so tiny, I decided I was not the guy to do it. Did you find other, easier to solder points?

There would be value in the abilities of somebody who can solder to these points.

Timo

Bill Costa as just a member

I disassembled an a5100 and found internal points to solder to, but they are so tiny,

You can easily see why modern electronics are now assembled by robots.  I considered getting a 3D microscope for doing really fine soldering work, but I doubt my hands are steady enough to do the job.

Bill.Costa@...
No good deed goes unpunished.

George Themelis

A stereo microscope is a very useful tool and not very expensive. I use mine often, for soldering and whenever I want to see something in good detail. Usually at the lowest magnification and with a good strong light.

George

I disassembled an a5100 and found internal points to solder to, but they are so tiny,

You can easily see why modern electronics are now assembled by robots.  I considered getting a 3D microscope for doing really fine soldering work, but I doubt my hands are steady enough to do the job.

Bill.Costa@...

No good deed goes unpunished.

Bill Costa as just a member

I have used it handheld...

Well that's good.  One of the things that can really improve your photography is using a tripod.  But unfortunately even when I am out for the purpose of just shooting photos, I still seldom use one. I need to learn to have more patience.

So I'm picturing myself walking around with a more compact version of this rig.  Certainly not super convenient but doable.  Then for some reason I suddenly envisioned George running through the woods, clutching the rig in front of him with both hands.  Now that would certainly be an act of dedication!  🙂

Bill.Costa@...
No good deed goes unpunished.

DaveJes1979

I last e-mailed Ron on Feb. 3, 2021.  Radio silence.

Mark Blum

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM, forum@... wrote:
I'm now starting in 3D video... so I'm doing with my little means (build myself my rig beamspliter and find 4K cameras (with a lot of lenses, even zoom, I-R) which are suitable + Sbs sync circuit and micro computer to manage everything.
forum@..., can you elaborate on your Sbs sync circuit and micro computer to manage everything? I may build a beamsplitter rig with a pair of Sony S3CA cameras and such a device could be instructive.

Mark Blum

DaveJes1979 wrote: I last e-mailed Ron on Feb. 3, 2021.  Radio silence.

Thank you Dave. I also emailed via his website and will let the group know if he responds.

Mark

forum@trivision3d.com

Le 02/09/2021 à 19:12, Mark Blum a écrit :
On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM, forum@... wrote:
I'm now starting in 3D video... so I'm doing with my little means (build myself my rig beamspliter and find 4K cameras (with a lot of lenses, even zoom, I-R) which are suitable + Sbs sync circuit and micro computer to manage everything.
forum@..., can you elaborate on your Sbs sync circuit and micro computer to manage everything? I may build a beamsplitter rig with a pair of Sony S3CA cameras and such a device could be instructive.
_._,_._,_

When this camera is perfected... I might offer it complete in its beamsplitter rig on my online store www.trivision3d.com

The circuit can't handle Sony S3CA cameras (which use Genlock pro for the sync), this circuit only accepts a very rare model of cameras for industrial use...for example for 3D machine recognition of defective parts passing on a conveyor belt, that's why there is also a very interesting Dephmap mode... can be use for interpolation of multiple stereoscopic perspectives...this is our main interest for new generation of Light Field screen coming.

I especially showed you the interest of a rig beamspliter... because amateurs think wrongly that it is only used for macro... pros don't... it's really two different worlds... but none of them is perfect in terms of stereoscopic geometry (3D without discomfort even for children from 5 years old).

The right stereoscopic geometry to bring unobtrusive use to 95% of the general public (as opposed to the current 75% of stereo clubs and movie pros), the remaining 5% being the blind and the like... is mostly what we want to teach... so that mainstream 3D will stop falling back into lethargy every time. But both stereo clubs and film pros have old blinders on! We, between these two worlds, have been mastering this for 30 years... but you know that it's always wrong to be right first!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Oktay

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM, Mark Blum wrote:
>>I'm now starting in 3D video..<<
Eager to see the results!

Oktay

Mark Blum

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 01:02 PM, timo@... wrote:
Do you have details on how you wired these up?

I disassembled an a5100 and found internal points to solder to, but they are so tiny, I decided I was not the guy to do it. Did you find other, easier to solder points?
Timo,
I'm told they were wired near the shutter release button, not where your photos show. I don't know if they were easier.

Mark Blum

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 01:10 PM, forum@... wrote:
this circuit only accepts a very rare model of cameras for industrial use...
Understood.

The right stereoscopic geometry to bring unobtrusive use to 95% of the general public (as opposed to the current 75% of stereo clubs and movie pros), the remaining 5% being the blind and the like... is mostly what we want to teach... so that mainstream 3D will stop falling back into lethargy every time. But both stereo clubs and film pros have old blinders on! We, between these two worlds, have been mastering this for 30 years... but you know that it's always wrong to be right first!

A very worthy objective!

David Sykes

With care, that could be soldered.
Take two 1cm lengths of very thin single core wire,strip 3mm off the one end of each and bend 90 degrees.
Under a stereo microscope, position bare wire over chip pins and superglue wire to top of chip.
Using a needle, apply a tiny amount of solder paste to the pin/wire and touch with soldering iron fitted with Antex 0.8mm tip.
You should get a very neat joint.
Solder more substantial wires to other ends of the single cores.