Need some help

Edwin Clements

Last weekend I went to a wedding and took my Fuji W3 with me, and got a few fairly good shots with it.  I showed the bride and groom the 3D image on the screen on the W3 and they really liked them.  They weren't very familiar with 3D except for View-Masters, and I told them about free-viewing.  I think they could probably figure out how to do it, but I would have to get the images sized to the right size for free viewing, and lined up next to each other on some kind of file or document.

I have run the images through Stereo Photo Maker and separated the left and right images into separate files, and so all I have to do is find out how to optimally resize them and put them together on some kind of document.  Does anyone have any nice quick and easy way to do this?  I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

                     Edwin Clements

robert mcafee

SPM did have a way to print 3 stereo cards on one sheet (a request I made many years ago now). They would be of a Keytone view size on A4 paper (well I was using A4 which is longer than 8.5x11 so I am not sure that size would fit 3.)

There are some Rokit io 3D phones with glasses free display for around $80. Maybe a wedding gift or they buy one and they could more easily share view with others who cannot free or cross view

George Themelis

For one thing, you do not need to separate R and L images. SPM can work with the stereo pair, resize it, add margins, etc.

George

[...]

Can you tell me where to look in the instructions to find out how to do that?   Thanks!

                 Edwin

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 2:57:35 PM EDT, George Themelis <gathemelis@...> wrote:

[...]

John Clement

The Rokit Pro 3D can be found for under $100 on Ebay, so that is a reasonable way to get 3D viewing.  An alternative is t get a Holmes viewer kit and print the pictures SBS.  If the W3 pictures are cropped a little, they will look really good on that viewer.  There are other viewers for SBS printed images.

John M. Clement

[...]

It is very easy to print a page with 3 stereo card using Stereo Photo Maker

I am not sure why you chose to separate the Fuji W3 images into Left & Right images.   As George wrote it is not necessary.  Perhaps Stereo Photo Maker (SPM) is new to you.  I will assume this.

1) Copy your .mpo files from the Fuji W3 to your computer
2) In SPM select File - Open Stereo Image, navigate to the appropriate directory and select the first image
3) Select Adjust - Auto Alignment (as a starting point) to set the stereo window.  Manual adjustment is also available.
4) Select File - Save MPO File - VERIFY where the image is being saved.  Unless you pick a new directory it will use the same directory as the last time an image was saved (may not be the directory you wanted)
    4a) Set Image Quality by sliding the bar to the right (99% - avoid reduction in image quality
    4b) Check on Save EXIF data
    4c) Select "For Fuji Camera"
    Steps 4a-4c need only be done the first time (if not already set)
5) Move cursor to right edge of the right image of the stereo pair.  An Arrow appears with the word Next, Right mouse click on the right edge of the image to advance to the next image in the directory
6) Repeat steps 3-5 for the rest of the images.
    6a) Suggest adding a suffix when saving the adjusted image so you know it is the adjusted image rather than the original.

Above has nothing to do with making a page with 3 stereo cards.  I apologize if you are already well familiar with SPM.

Now that you have all your images ready with their stereo windows adjusted (auto or manual) and maybe you have also made adjustments to the color, you are ready to make your page of stereo cards

7) Select File - Print Stereo Card
    7a) set paper size and margins accordingly
    7b) Fill in fields for Title, Description and Author as you desire.  You can change these fields with the next image added.
    7c) At bottom left (on my version at least) select the button "Add Image"  This will take you back to the main SPM window.
    7d) Select the next image you want to add
    7e) Select File - Print Stereo Card.  The 2nd selected image will now be added to the stereo card page
    7f) You may change, title, description, border type etc. and it will affect the most recently added card
    7g) You can remove any of the images added to the page by clicking on the image to select and then using the "Remove Image" button     toward the bottom right
    7h) Repeat steps 7b - 7f until you have filled your page
    7i) I just learned you can select any of the images on the page and move them around so you can re-order them on the page
8) You may now save the page using he "Save As" button at the bottom
9) You may now select your printer and pick printer settings
10) You may now Print the stereo card page

I was using an Olympus Dye Sublimation printer which printed with no dots - it was more like an old chemical process print though with a different gamut as it is a CMYK process.  A high quality printer is needed to avoid seeing all the individual dots.  I suppose you could save the stereo card page as an 8x10 and send off to your photo lab to print

Hope this helps you and that the recently married couple enjoy your images.

As another thought, if the couple have a PC and are computer literate, since the SPM program is free, you could help them get the program installed and provide them processed MPO files of your images, then they could select to view in parallel (free view) or cross view (I can do cross but struggle to do parallel), or anaglyph (I am guessing you have a couple pairs of paper anaglyph glasses you could give them) and they could view in a larger size (especially anaglyph)

Boris Starosta

If you are printing for free-viewing then your "stereo card" format should not be more than five inches wide.  Just figure out a way to print the pairs no more than four or 5 inches wide.  Then follow instructions I gave/illustrated on a blog post of mine some time back about how to parallel free view.
That said, I think some inexpensive lorgnettes are easily obtained, and may meet with more success/acceptance in your neophyte audience.
Boris
--
––––
Contemporary work in the Stereoscopic Arts:  www.patreon.com/retroformat

John Clement

The lorgnette viewer is difficult for some people, but a Holmes viewer can be used by all.  The Loreo viewer can be had for about $25 including shippin in Ebay and does not pose difficulties for most people.  The Loreo viewer also folds up for compact storage.  Stereo Photo Maker is very uncomplicated for making 3D cards.  Under File click on print Stereo card.  Another alternative is to save the image as a side by side and just print it using a standard photo program.  Use high quality paper, either presentation paper or photo paper, along with the photo setting when printing.  As I recall the Loreo viewer handles 6 inch wide prints.  Some people cannot freeview comfortably, and may need to put the card so far away that the depth becomes very small.  A good viewer makes the depth palpable.

Holmes viewers are more expensive, but the Loreo viewer is very affordable and some dealers will let you make an offer.

John M. Clement

If you are printing for free-viewing then your "stereo card" format should not be more than five inches wide.  Just figure out a way to print the pairs no more than four or 5 inches wide.  Then follow instructions I gave/illustrated on a blog post of mine some time back about how to parallel free view.
That said, I think some inexpensive lorgnettes are easily obtained, and may meet with more success/acceptance in your neophyte audience.
Boris
--
––––

Contemporary work in the Stereoscopic Arts:  www.patreon.com/retroformat

––––

robert mcafee

Correcting error in my post for making a sheet with multiple stereo cards.

In step 5 I wrote to right click to advance to the next image. It should read left click

William Kiraly

I’m a fan of the London Stereographic viewer. Inexpensive, allows focus and works great for viewing side by side on print or screen if sized reasonably well.

Bill

—————————————————————————
William Kiraly
Writer / Photographer / Programmer
440-655-7971

[...]

wkiraly@...
Personal Site: www.cohenkiraly.com
Writing: www.befuddledmuse.com
3D Gallery: https://stereopix.net/wkiraly/
SmugMug: https://wkiraly.smugmug.com/

John Clement

It is a good viewer and easy to pack, but some people have had difficulty using it, in my experience, while Holmes viewers work wit everyone, especially the kits with big hoods that allow wearing glasses.  The price is certainly right.  Holmes viewer kits can be improved by buying glass lenses in place of the cheap distorted plastic ones.

John M. Clement

[...]

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 08:40 AM, John Clement wrote:
but the Loreo viewer is very affordable
It seems that the Loreo viewer will be discontinued, to be confirmed.

robert mcafee

It seems the Loreo lite viewer is being discontinued. Loreo has other viewers.

Antonio F.G.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 11:00 AM, William Kiraly wrote:
I’m a fan of the London Stereographic viewer. Inexpensive, allows focus and works great for viewing side by side on print or screen if sized reasonably well.

I have one OWL on use and about 4 or 5 of them new. I use them from time to time as gifts, together with a bunch of stereo cards appropriately cut to the OWL size. They provide an excellent stereo experience that can be enjoined by anybody if the cards are well made.
Not that I use it for everyday viewing (I prefer my 3DTV:-), but given the cost and the portability it is surely one of the best options to enjoy stereo.

Because of this I included in the Stmani3 User's manual a procedure to render stereo pairs into OWL cards: https://afgalaz.es/stmani3/en/rendering.html#example-owl-cards
This creates an image that includes an SBS part with cutting guides around. This should be sent to a photo print service, and then cut along the guides. The final size should perfectly fit the OWL frame:

Regards
    Antonio

John Clement

In particular my mother in law had trouble with the Owl viewer, so it is not quite suitable for all.  Yes, it works well, but not quite as well as my Holmes viewer.  All 3D systems have deficits as well as advantages and are a bit more difficult than 2D formats.  Unfortunately with the demise of View-Master there is currently no universally available 3D format to introduce it to children, the next 3D generation.  Sure there are still some 3D movies in theaters, but they are decreasing, just as they did in the 50s.  People who market phones are amazed when I show them a 3D picture on my phone, and say they were not aware such a thing existed, despite having one a few of years back in their showroom.  I just looked at one of my Realist slides and find that it looks so wonderful with brilliant colors and the gold tone watch on a friend sparkles.  My digital transcriptions sometimes capture this, but there is nothing like a good backlit slide.  The digital pictures are more convenient and may be viewed without hunting to find the right box for the views I want.

John M. Clement

[...]

I think the difference is that the Owl is "just a little prismatic" , https://www.londonstereo.com/stereophotography.html ,
less so than a standard Holmes type stereoscope. The Loreo Lite also has prismatic plastic lenses. Too bad it has been discontinued, as they used to be pretty inexpensive in bulk from the manufacturer. Good to give a way with 4x6 stereo prints.

I personally format images for 4x6 in SPM (crop first to squarish/slight portrait then File> print stereocard, with various options including "Holmes Card 6x4", set canvas to 6x4 also, then save to jpg). I then have them printed at a photo lab, rather than printing at home.

My favorite Holmes type stereoscope is a Bioptor, (ca 1960s?), which has plastic and metal frame (which can be taken apart for travel or storage) and decent glass lenses, no hood so compatible with eyeglasses. Many people do best with a fixed (but shiftable for focus) platform for the prints rather than holding the viewer and trying to determine the correct distance to the print.

One solution for those who want to use a Holmes type stereoscope but do not want to mount their stereo prints individually to 7" wide cards  would include something like  Robert Thorpe's flipbooks (used with the DSEC print exchanges). There are clear sleeves for 4x6 prints with a spiral binding, and the covers are 7" wide, which fits in a standard Holmes viewer platform.   Linda

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 4:34 PM John Clement <clement@...> wrote:

[...]

Depthcam

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 10:15 AM, Edwin Clements wrote:
I showed the bride and groom the 3D image on the screen on the W3 and they really liked them.

The truth of the matter is that if you just make regular 2D prints for them, they'll be just as happy ! ;-)

That's because they won't have to spend more on viewers or 3D phones just to view a couple of pictures !

Francois

Antonio F.G.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Linda N wrote:
I think the difference is that the Owl is "just a little prismatic" , https://www.londonstereo.com/stereophotography.html ,
Yes, it is prismatic. Not that the lenses are any special (they are just standard round lenses), but they are at a distance of 78mm, while the typical IOD is 65mm. So you do not view through the center of the lenses, but through the inside side of them.
If they had cut a small rectangle out of the inside part of the lenses, they would have had true Holmes prismatic lenses, which would then be placed at IOD distance. It would have worked exactly the same, but of course it would be more expensive.

Regards
    Antonio

Antonio F.G.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 04:34 PM, John Clement wrote:

In particular my mother in law had trouble with the Owl viewer, so it is not quite suitable for all.  Yes, it works well, but not quite as well as my Holmes viewer.

I guess one reason for this: The focal length of the OWL is significantly shorter than the Holmes. Well, I do not have any Holmes but from Internet images it looks like it has about 200mm focal length. The OWL has 140mm:

If the stereo cards have disparity issues, for example force the eyesight to diverge for far points, or have have excessive total disparity, then the longer focal length viewer is more forgiving.
I think the OWL is perfect IFF the cards are properly made.

Regards
     Antonio

Bob Aldridge

Brian May originally designed the OWL ("Over-sized Wonderful Lenses") viewer to be used with early stereoviews from the 1850s. The imake pairs on these are generally up to 5 1/2 inch (140mm) wide for the pair. And the aperture in the card holder was designed to accommodate this... And the viewer works really well for cards built to this specification.

Subsequently, John Dennis asked Brian to enlarge the aperture so that the viewer could also accommodate later stereoviews which often had larger image pairs. John was, of course, particularly interested in being able to use the viewer with the stereoview that were reproduced in books and magazines - especially Stereo World which John has edited for many years.

At first Brian was reluctant, but, eventually he decided to humour John and the current OWLs were created with the aperture now 6 inches (150mm) wide, but the lenses kept the same specification (I just checked the current viewer agains a cardboard prototype viewer). As a result the prismatic effect of the lenses may not be sufficient to accommodate the full range of human eye separations with the stereoviews with the largest images, but the viewer was never designed to be used with those views, of course...

Bob Aldridge