TCL NXTWEAR G glasses

KenK

Just saw this
https://www.reviewgeek.com/90001/tcl-shows-off-nxtwear-g-smart-glasses-multi-screen-collaboration-and-5g-cpes/

This caught my attention
TCL says that its NXTWEAR G glasses support 3D 4K content and have integrated speakers, though you can still use headphones if you like (by connecting your headphones to your video source, not the glasses).
and
NXTWEAR G will make its debut in Australia this July, with availability for other regions planned later this year. The glasses work with “more than 100 smartphones” and any laptop or desktop with USB-C video-out capabilities. TCL says that the glasses come with adjustable nose pads and lens adapters for those who wear glasses.
KenK

Depthcam

Yep !  This is the 3D viewer I have been talking about for months now.  Up till now it was only referred to as "TCL wearable display".  Glad they have a name for it now.  It remains to be seen where it will become available (and when) and how much will it cost ???  And of course, will it deliver as promised ???

Francois

ron labbe

I don't see how a screen so close to the eye can be viewed without a lens... ??

Depthcam

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:20 PM, ron labbe wrote:
I don't see how a screen so close to the eye can be viewed without a lens... ??

To tell you the truth, I have been scratching my head about this ever since I saw the first digital renderings of this device.  But there are clips on YT showing people trying them out and they seem to work.  It's possible the secret is in the mirrors...

See this hands-on review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1kmdKYAgjE

And here is the company's new PR clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_yc0eLSfU

The thing that does bug me here is that all (simulated) images that show the virtual display the wearer is suppose to actually see show a curved screen.  So I am wondering if this is what we will actually see or of this was just a fancy representation by the graphic artist.  I guess we'll have to wait and find out...

Francois

John Clement

The mirrors can be concave which has the same effect as a convex lens.  Some form of “lens” is necessary.

John M. Clement

[...]

Looking at the device it may be that the device projects the image onto the front “glasses” using a small lens.  The glasses being partial mirrors would produce a distant virtual image.  The other possibility is that the back side of the glasses is a concave partially silvered mirror which would act as the lens.  It looks like an interesting device straight out of science fiction.  I read a story about a son who went around wearing virtual reality glasses all the time and lost touch with reality.  He was eventually persuaded to put them up and interact with his family.  Could the airlines be persuaded to provide 3D entertainment that one could plug into.  However 3D on a bumpy flight might necessitate the use of the barf bags.

John M. Clement