3D-Con 2021 ‘3D on Social Media’ Special Interest Group #futureOf3D

Gordon Au

Stereo Friends,

At this year's virtual 3D-Con, I'll once again be moderating a Special Interest Group (SIG) on '3D on Social Media.' For those of you who share/view 3D content on Facebook, Instagram, or other platforms (including Stereopix, Phereo?, Flickr, Holopix, Orbix, etc.), I'd be interested in your thoughts! (Although this group isn't traditional social media, I'll be mentioning it as well.) What do you think this SIG should include? Here are some specific questions:

- What information would help to improve your experience of sharing your own 3D work on Instagram, FB, or other social media sites?
- What would you like to see more of in terms of 3D on your favorite social media?
- What do you wish you knew when you first joined whatever social media you use? What advice would you give newcomers?
- Are there specific people you’d like to hear speak and/or ask questions of?
- What did we miss in last year’s SIG?
- Any other thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

The goal is to make this year’s SIG different—to present new info/viewpoints from last year, which was fairly wide-reaching. Last year covered the general benefits/advantages and drawbacks/limitations of social media, and for each platform: the most suitable 3D formats, ease of sharing/viewing 3D, ease of starting, pros/cons, example hashtags/groups, and tutorials; plus we had some speakers discuss specific platforms and formats. If you missed it, you can rewatch it on YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVTRRzH7lo), and see the summary document on the 3D-Con website (http://www.3d-con.com/2020/addl_wk_gordonau.php).

Thanks for any ideas!

- Gordon

robert mcafee

Gordon,
I loved Phereo when it was working properly and new images were being posted at least weekly and often daily.  I like that it easily supports multiple viewing methods just clicking on the selection.

I view on my Freevi 3D tablet, one of 3 different models of 3D phones, in anaglyph, and with NVidia 3D vision on my laptop or attached 27" 3D Nvidia supported monitor.

I also use StereoPix. I like it but for my various viewing methods I find Phereo easier (especially for Nvidia 3D).  Also there are fewer images being posted on StereoPix than was the case for Phereo.

I can see room and a case for both platforms but Phereo appears to be largely abandoned. There was conversation about the last Phereo support person turning the site over to someone so it might continue but I don't think there is any activity in this direction and my programming background would not make me a contributor to that effort.

I would like to see that site continue.  It is a single location where 3D photographers across the world would post there images as opposed to searching and perhaps getting lucky to locate a single 3D photographer's website.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 2:55 PM, Gordon Au
<gordonburi@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your thoughts. In light of those, what would you like to see/hear in the 3D-Con SIG, if you will be attending? Perhaps JackDesBwa might be able to speak about StereoPix.

- Gordon

robert mcafee

I guess I would be interested if others have the same feelings about Phereo and if there is opportunity to rescue it, then perhaps the SIG discuss could help to build interest and some action.

JackDesBwa|3D

Perhaps JackDesBwa might be able to speak about StereoPix.

Let me know in private what you think might be interesting to say about it.

JackDesBwa

Wright Carlton

Hi Gordon,

We at the Sydney Stereo Camera Club were inspired by your session to the extent of opening both Facebook and Instagram sites for the club.  I think some of our experiences may be of interest as we tried various strategies in formating, sourcing images and attracting hits.  I personally had unrealistic expectations, as it turned out, namely to attract new (and younger) members...with little success.  So it is on this later point you may include for the SIG.  Stephen Wong has been our architect and catalyst.  One of his principles was formating, as follows.

" I’m experimenting with the image formatting issue when displaying on mobile devices, specifically with the dynamic formatting when the device is rotated horizontally and vertically."
Some examples:

Best Regards,
Carlton Wright

On Fri, 18 Jun. 2021 at 4:55 am, Gordon Au
<gordonburi@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your thoughts, Carlton. This touches upon two overlapping subjects that I'll try to include in the SIG. That is, not only best practices for sharing/viewing 3D on social media, but also:
- How to build a following / be 'successful' on social media
- How best to share 3D online generally (not only on social media)

Stephen's website works well. That dynamic formatting for mobile/desktop is a must these days.

KenK

Gordon and Carlton,
Are there any social media tips, strategies or lessons learned you can share in advance of this year's 3D-Con?
3D-Con would seem to be an excellent opportunity for promotion of both the event and local/social organizations
KenK

Stephen Wong

Hi KenK,

Late last year, we started our club's Instagram @oz3dclub to promote the club and to interact with a broader audience, both domestically and internationally. This became apparent as we conducted virtual club meetings via Zoom during the COVID lockdowns. Even after we resumed face-to-face club meetings, we continue our Zoom calls, as we have members joining us from outside Sydney and Australia, including New Zealand, the UK, Europe, and Hong Kong. Up until this point, we had not embraced social media.

With Instagram, through trial and error, I adopted a multiple-image posting strategy, consisting of three images: a 2-D, a side-by-side parallel view and an anaglyph. Importantly, we feature the 2-D image as the first image, allowing the viewer to appreciate the content as a conventional photo. Having many 3-D images is overwhelming and visually daunting if you're not a 3-D enthusiast. (In particular, I find that anaglyphs are visually ugly.) Hopefully, it also means non-3-D viewers might be curious enough to explore the world of 3-D photography and perhaps visit the club's website via the link shown on the profile.

With multiple-image posts, all the images must be formatted to the same dimensions. I format the images using a square layout, but this has drawbacks. In particular, the size of the side-by-side images is tiny. Interestingly, the Instagram app is locked to portrait (vertical) orientation and does not support landscape (horizontal) orientation. Ideally, we would include a hyperlink on the post to reference the corresponding photo on the club's website. Sadly, we don't seem to be able to do this.

This leads us to the topic of presenting content on smartphones and tablets. Unlike desktop computers, mobile devices can switch between portrait and landscape modes. I've been experimenting with CSS to create dynamic layouts to accommodate this.

I have a special interest in this area.  I shoot artistic nude 3-D photos, which gets me into a ton of trouble when I post them on social media (I loathe censorship), so I started a personal gallery to avoid violating community guidelines.

Unfortunately, web browsers and mobile devices do not behave consistently, so the viewing experience is not perfect. If you're interested, here's a link to my gallery:
https://stereo3dinfo.com/gallery/

It's still a work in progress. I'm building it using WordPress and Oxygen Builder.

Regards,
Stephen Wong

Wright Carlton

Thanks Stephen for answering KenK's question.  Only thing to add is that we have also tried Facebook, and tried to use as may images as Facebook3D images.  Not sure whether Facebook 3D (ie depthmapped images) have become as popular as expected.

Carlton

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 09:41:44 AM GMT+10, Stephen Wong <stephen@...> wrote:

[...]

ron labbe

You had a very cooperative model for this great 3D shot. (note that many of your nudes are far from explicit)

gl

On 30/06/2021 23:53, Stephen Wong wrote:
experimenting with CSS to create dynamic layouts to accommodate this.

I have a special interest in this area.  I shoot artistic nude 3-D photos, which gets me into a ton of trouble when I post them on social media (I loathe censorship), so I started a personal gallery to avoid violating community guidelines.

Hi Stephen,

some good pics.  I especially like your headline pic (warning nudity): Image N03 - Stereo 3-D Photography by Stephen Wong (stereo3dinfo.com)  But unfortunately it also has significant alignment issues, easiest to see in anaglyph.  It would look better aligned in SPM.

This one's a cool shot too: Image N02 - Stereo 3-D Photography by Stephen Wong (stereo3dinfo.com).  I think it would benefit from a little more deviation though, to make the play on depth shapes pop more.  At least that's how it looks on my 24" monitor.
--
gl

Gordon Au

Hi KenK,

I'm still in an info-gathering/digesting phase, but I can say a few brief things about social media strategies:

1. Check out the summary and SIG from last year, of course.

2. I would think carefully about what your overall and specific goals are for social media. Is it simply to share your 3D work with as many people as possible? If so, which people: 3D fans, or people interested in 3D, or laypeople? Or is your goal to recruit people for a 3D group or event? If so, is your immediate goal to direct them to your website, to register? Or to sign up on a email list? Or is your goal to bring more people into the 3D fold (convert them to 3D, one might say, haha)? Your answers will determine things like the best platforms and the best 3D formats for you, whether you need a website, etc.

3. Building a presence/following works differently on every social media platform. But regular activity is a must for most of them, as is finding out where and when you can engage with the most people. In some cases, like FB, the answer to the latter might not necessarily be to focus exclusively on creating new pages/groups, but to do that in conjunction with joining and engaging with already established communities.

- Gordon

Stephen Wong

Thanks gl for your feedback! That's very helpful.
I'll see what I can do. You've caught me out. I'm stereoblind, so I rely on using anaglyphs to align my images.

Regards,
Stephen

gl

On 02/07/2021 01:41, Stephen Wong wrote:
Thanks gl for your feedback! That's very helpful.
I'll see what I can do. You've caught me out. I'm stereoblind, so I rely on using anaglyphs to align my images.
Oh really?  you mean you can't actually see stereo?  if so then creating stereo art is quite amazing (in a good way).

I've spent far too many hours aligning stereo manually in anaglyph, mainly with video when the image content broke the auto-alignment. it's amazing how hard it is - I did get better at it, but if you're a perfectionist like me, it can take forever to get a really good match.

Auto-aligners like SPM (Stereo Photo Maker) should be able to do it in one click.  I've  coded one and know how they work, but it still amazes me that it does.
--
gl

Stephen Wong

I think I've fixed the misalignments, and I've added a few more images. Enjoy.