Android Phone with Depth Mapping Question

David Starkman

My current Android phone is over 5 years old and I'm ready to update it with a new phone. I'd like to get a new model that has the depth mapping feature (Portrait mode?) as I ordered the Looking Glass Portrait and this will be a helpful combination. ( I got to see a Looking Glass over the weekend that a friend got, and was pretty impressed. However, I ordered mine near the end of the campaign, so it might be a couple of more months or more until I get mine. )

So my question for the group is do any of you have a very new model that has the depth mapping and good specs that is smaller than 6" that you would recommend? I prefer a smaller size phone, and the new models have become way to large for the top of the line models, but there are so many out there to compare I thought maybe some of you would have some suggestions based on your experience.

Thank You!

DDDavid

John Rupkalvis

David ~
I use a couple of 3-D phones that I like very much. They are both
very high resolution and have great 3-D. One is the IQH made by JS
Digitech: https://iqh3d.com/product/iqh3d-qphone/. The contact there
is Loyal Haylett, CEO IQH loyalhaylett@gmail.com
The other is the JS Digitech itself (Jaishun Digitech):
https://www.js3d.cc/ The contact there is the CEO, Zhou Fenghua.
His e-address is: <export@js3d.cc>

--
John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@gmail.com

[image: Picture]

Depthcam

Your best bet is to check out Looking Glass forums for the phones they consider most compatible.  Not all phones produce equal quality depth maps and LG points out that some give very poor results.

So it's best you check with them for the phones they recommend.

Francois

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 01:19 PM, David Starkman wrote:
do any of you have a very new model that has the depth mapping and good specs that is smaller than 6" that you would recommend?
Two months ago I purchased a Huawei P30 Pro New Edition, its 3 cameras are excellent (sometimes better than my Pentax K3-III DSLR body costing 2000 Euros!).
I has Google services installed (as opposed to the P40 pro etc.), Play store etc.
The aperture mode activates the TOF sensor which (also in landscape mode) embeds a depth map into the JPG file.
And SPM recognizes such depth maps and extracts them to create a stereo image with the deviation of your choice.
Also it has a X5 lens OPTICALLY stabilized and very good (135 mm equivalent).
Plus an ultra wide angle lens, and naturally a regular wide angle sensor.
Takes also RAW images, actually in DNG format which can be developed with old software versions.
510 Euros in France.

robert mcafee

I am new to depth maps created in phone or by any other means. I seem to recall the best depth maps resulted from the Apple iPhone 12 Pro which uses Lidar to measure the distances.

Does anyone know of any Android phones with Lidar?

I believe it was Francois who noted there are some new phones or tablets or both coming to the market which will have features of interest to stereo photographers. He was not able to provide any details at this time (NDA agreement I assume).

Economic impact of the pandemic and the world wide chip shortage will probably cause further launch delays.   But maybe one of these will have a 3D display and generate depth maps?  Since you can create depth maps form Caputo’s program and a stereo pair, you may want to wait a few months to see what is coming down the pipeline.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 05:59 AM, robert mcafee wrote:
Does anyone know of any Android phones with Lidar?
The Huawei P30 Pro has a Time Of Flight camera to generate depth maps. I suspect it is similar to Lidar, and this P30 Pro (with 256 GB, a huge battery etc.) costs 500 Euros instead of 1270 Euros for an Apple iPhone 12 Pro.
I do not work for Huawei LOL

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 09:49 PM, John Rupkalvis wrote:
One is the IQH made by JS Digitech
Seems good but out of stock. Am I the only one here that missed the announcement of this phone last year? (according to JS Digitech Facebook page)

robert mcafee

Qoobex website shows the Q phone in stock at $699 US. Moreover they also show a 3D glasses free tablet for $499.

Anybody know anything about this tablet beyond what is on the website?