Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #macro #cameras-issues

Paul Gillis

Quite a long time ago, I bought a Panasonic stereo lens for doing closeup shots, and I needed a camera to use it on.  For some reason (probably cost) I bought an Olympus E-PL1.  I  was going to modify the lens for macro, but I put the project aside & never got back to it, until now.

The Oly came with a basic 14-42 mm lens, and it works fine with that lens.

But when I try the Panasonic lens (still unmodified) the camera won't do anything, not even show me the view through the lens.  (Well actually it will turn on & go through all the menus & play back images already on the SD card.)

Can anyone suggest what I should try?  I recall something about taping up electrical contacts...

--Paul Gillis

George Themelis

You do not get any message when you turn the camera on, like “No lens attached”?

You can do some research to see if the camera communicates with the lens (it sounds like it does not which would be the case if the camera was introduced before the lens). Check to see if there is a newer firmware and install it.

Go through the menus to see if there is an option to shoot without a lens. With this option selected, the camera should work with the lens (even if it does no recognize it) and give jpg files as if the contacts were taped.

George

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 4:52 PM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

Quite a long time ago, I bought a Panasonic stereo lens for doing closeup shots, and I needed a camera to use it on.  For some reason (probably cost) I bought an Olympus E-PL1.  I  was going to modify the lens for macro, but I put the project aside & never got back to it, until now.

But when I try the Panasonic lens (still unmodified) the camera won't do anything, not even show me the view through the lens.  (Well actually it will turn on & go through all the menus & play back images already on the SD card.)

Can anyone suggest what I should try?  I recall something about taping up electrical contacts...

--Paul Gillis

Pierre MEINDRE

Hi Paul & George,

"Shoot without lens" is a Panasonic option, Olympus will always shoot without a lens or attached to a "dumb" lens.
The camera must then detect the lens but doesn't know what to do with it.

The camera firmware is, as George wrote it, too old and you may try to update it.
It will be easier to first check first if the camera actually shoots without any lens then tape the contacts of the 3d lens with a tiny piece if thin transparent tape.
Check when unmounting the lens that the tape stays in place and is not scratched by the camera's contacts.

Pierre.

-------- Message d'origine --------
De : George Themelis <gathemelis@...>
Date : 13/05/2021 00:43 (GMT+01:00)
À : main@photo-3d.groups.io
Objet : Re: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

You do not get any message when you turn the camera on, like “No lens attached”?

You can do some research to see if the camera communicates with the lens (it sounds like it does not which would be the case if the camera was introduced before the lens). Check to see if there is a newer firmware and install it.

Go through the menus to see if there is an option to shoot without a lens. With this option selected, the camera should work with the lens (even if it does no recognize it) and give jpg files as if the contacts were taped.

George

Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 4:52 PM
Subject: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

--Paul Gillis

Jeff Ewen

That model (Olympus PEN E-PL1), is just outside of the list of compatible models

Jeff

Paul Gillis

Jeff, thank you for the lens/camera compatibility chart.  Pierre & George, thank you for your advice.

I was stymied in attempting to update my camera's firmware, because I could not find a cable which will fit into the camera's stupid USB port.  (It's just a little different from the port in Samsung, Fuji & Nikon cameras, for which I have many cables.)

So I went ahead & tried taping over the contacts on the lens. Now it will take pictures! But the camera is so frustrating to use in manual mode.  (Previously, I had only used it in Auto mode with a 14-42 mm zoom.)  And cropping out two images from the single JPG or raw file is tedious.  From what I've read, I think a "compatible" camera would produce a stereo MPO file.  Am I right?

So, does anyone have any recommendation for a good compatible camera I could get?  I'd like a compact body, and not too expensive--maybe in the $200 range, unless someone thinks I could get significantly better IQ with a more expensive one.  Ease of operation would count for a lot--I hate having to drill down in menus & push a lot of buttons to change basic settings.

--Paul Gillis

mrthreed

" ... cropping out two images from the single JPG or raw file is tedious".   Try opening your stereo JPG files with the Open Stereo Image command (press the "W" key) in StereoPhoto Maker. You should get separate L and R images. Swap the L and R images. Proceed editing normally now.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/14/21 11:29 PM (GMT-09:00)
To: main@Photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

Jeff, thank you for the lens/camera compatibility chart.  Pierre & George, thank you for your advice.

I was stymied in attempting to update my camera's firmware, because I could not find a cable which will fit into the camera's stupid USB port.  (It's just a little different from the port in Samsung, Fuji & Nikon cameras, for which I have many cables.)

So I went ahead & tried taping over the contacts on the lens. Now it will take pictures! But the camera is so frustrating to use in manual mode.  (Previously, I had only used it in Auto mode with a 14-42 mm zoom.)  And cropping out two images from the single JPG or raw file is tedious.  From what I've read, I think a "compatible" camera would produce a stereo MPO file.  Am I right?

So, does anyone have any recommendation for a good compatible camera I could get?  I'd like a compact body, and not too expensive--maybe in the $200 range, unless someone thinks I could get significantly better IQ with a more expensive one.  Ease of operation would count for a lot--I hate having to drill down in menus & push a lot of buttons to change basic settings.

--Paul Gillis

Howard Stanbury

Wonders never cease. I Blu-Tacked a Panasonic 3D lens to a Sony ILCE-QX1 a year or so ago to try out close-up stereo photography. Cropping and processing the files was a hassle. It didn't cross my mind that Stereo Photo Maker could make it so easy. I just checked with one of the files and, bingo!, it works.

Jeff Ewen

Paul,

If your budget is around 200 dollars the Olympus OM-D E-M5 is probably your best option (if you prefer Olympus).

I have updated the guide to include ratings for each camera and this one comes in at #15 but has one of the higher image quality ratings.  Just be aware that it will only capture 16:9 format.

Jeff

George Themelis

“It didn't cross my mind that Stereo Photo Maker could make it so easy. I just checked with one of the files and, bingo!, it works.”

It didn’t cross your mind? Of course it works. I don’t understand why this wasn’t your first tool and what you used instead.

Anyway, it works, but nothing beats the convenience of getting MPO files right out of the camera for the super lazy rest of us.

George

Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 8:34 AM
To: main@Photo-3d.groups.io Group Moderators
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

Wonders never cease. I Blu-Tacked a Panasonic 3D lens to a Sony ILCE-QX1 a year or so ago to try out close-up stereo photography. Cropping and processing the files was a hassle. It didn't cross my mind that Stereo Photo Maker could make it so easy. I just checked with one of the files and, bingo!, it works.

George Themelis

“You should get separate L and R images.”

You do not get separate L and R images, you get one image with the R and L reversed. Hit “X” to reverse them and then proceed with cropping and setting the stereo window.

George

Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 3:50 AM

" ... cropping out two images from the single JPG or raw file is tedious".   Try opening your stereo JPG files with the Open Stereo Image command (press the "W" key) in StereoPhoto Maker. You should get separate L and R images. Swap the L and R images. Proceed editing normally now.

_._,_._,_

George Themelis

“So, does anyone have any recommendation for a good compatible camera I could get?  I'd like a compact body, and not too expensive--maybe in the $200 range”

I would stick with the Panasonic cameras. The GX7 is a good choice, and you should be able to find a used body for around $200.

I have had an interesting but disturbing experience with an Olympus camera and the 3D lens. A customer bought a 3D lens from me at an NSA convention, tried it the same day and came back the next day complaining that the images were out of alignment. I verified that the images had noticeable vertical misalignment, checked the lens and it was fine and it worked fine (perfectly aligned images) out of my Panasonic camera. But, for some reason, the Olympus camera was misaligning the stereo pair (introducing vertical misalignment when creating the MPO file). That’s strange. I do not remember the camera model but in my many years of using these lenses with a variety of Panasonic cameras, I have never seen this problem.

George

Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 3:29 AM

--Paul Gillis

George Themelis

Very interesting table, you put a lot of work into this! Impressive!

How did you get the rating on features and ranking?

One column of interest would be to list if the camera has a built-in flash or not. A lot of macro pictures are taken with flash and the on-camera flash can be a first resort if someone does not have something else, or to trigger slave flashes.

George

Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 11:34 AM

Paul,

If your budget is around 200 dollars the Olympus OM-D E-M5 is probably your best option (if you prefer Olympus).

I have updated the guide to include ratings for each camera and this one comes in at #15 but has one of the higher image quality ratings.  Just be aware that it will only capture 16:9 format.

Jeff

Jeff Ewen

I have added a column for the availability of a hot shoe for flash synchronisation.  Models from GF3 onward in that series have an inbuilt pop-up flash.  The feature ratings come from a website called Camera decision.  The Image Sensor scoring is from the DXOMark website.  These are all constantly changing as newer (better) sensors are released and they try to maintain a 0 to 100 scale.

The measurement/consideration of scores for features needs to be adjusted for the their application to the Panasonic H-FT012 lens.  I have both G7 and G85 cameras.  The later I obtained for the Image Stabilisation feature and it being the last compatible model with a hot shoe.

With wanting to digress from the topic at hand, I am experimenting with various LED Lights.  I have a KuangRen flash unit that has at times aggravated the occasional bee.  I obtained a cheap 48 LED flash/ring light that I attached to an adapter similar to your tube adaptor.  There is a more recent version that I am waiting for next week that used 160 LEDs and approximates daylight (Neewer R-160 160 Pieces 5600K 10W Mini LED Macro Ring Light with 6 Adapter Rings) that will require a similar adaptor.  These are lights as opposed to a flash, but at around $30 each it is worth a try.

Jeff

mrthreed

I suggest the Panasonic Lumix G6 if you want to be able to shoot videos with good audio quality as well as stills. It has a mic input which is rare in the $200 price range and it allows the use of a good quality external microphone. It also has a fully articulated lcd display and a strong built-in flash plus a hot shoe, features that most cameras in this price range do not have. 

Sent on my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S9.

Paul Gillis

I have another question about the Panasonic cameras that are compatible with the 3D lens:  What do you see through the EVF or on the screen?  Does it show half of the .mpo it will take, or the entire sensor image, with all the areas that will be cropped out when it creates the .mpo?  Or does this vary by camera?

--Paul Gillis

George Themelis

The camera saves the left image as JPG and the entire stereo image as MPO and only shows the left image on the screen. The image is cropped, depending on the aspect ratio the user has selected.

George

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 12:16 AM

I have another question about the Panasonic cameras that are compatible with the 3D lens:  What do you see through the EVF or on the screen?  Does it show half of the .mpo it will take, or the entire sensor image, with all the areas that will be cropped out when it creates the .mpo?  Or does this vary by camera?

--Paul Gillis

timo@guildwood.net

For those using the Panasonic 3D lens for macro, seeing the Left image only can be a problem because you can not see if all of your subject is contained in the Right image too. And you can’t check it unless you remove the SD card and load the image into a different device that lets you see the whole MPO file.

Taping the contacts, or using a camera that can’t see the lens solves this problem, and lets you frame it in stereo. It’s crossview in the viewfinder.

Timo

On May 17, 2021, at 6:40 AM, George Themelis <gathemelis@...> wrote:

The camera saves the left image as JPG and the entire stereo image as MPO and only shows the left image on the screen. The image is cropped, depending on the aspect ratio the user has selected.

George

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] Need help using an Olympus camera with a Panasonic stereo lens #cameras-issues #macro

--Paul Gillis 

<B9E31576DA2D404CAB550B8A21BE91C9.png>