Lume Pad now supports MPO and JPS, and automatic SBS detection - #software #formats #android #mpo

Nima

Hi everyone,

We had received some feedback from enthusiasts on this forum and elsewhere about supporting MPO and JPS images, so I wanted to let you know we added support for them on Lume Pad. Now they display automatically in 3D when you open them in the LeiaPlayer app. There are a few other features we've added as well, including automatic detection of SBS (full width and half width) images.

https://forums.leialoft.com/t/leiaplayer-version-2-16-now-available/1146

Bob Aldridge

That's really good!

But how easy is it to over-ride e.g. the half-width detection in the (hopefully rare) occasions when it gets it wrong? (Increasingly, sequential vertical images are taken with phones that can have similar proportions to squeezed pairs when stored as HSBS pairs)

Bob Aldridge

On 07/05/2021 08:44, Nima wrote:

Hi everyone,

We had received some feedback from enthusiasts on this forum and elsewhere about supporting MPO and JPS images, so I wanted to let you know we added support for them on Lume Pad. Now they display automatically in 3D when you open them in the LeiaPlayer app. There are a few other features we've added as well, including automatic detection of SBS (full width and half width) images.

https://forums.leialoft.com/t/leiaplayer-version-2-16-now-available/1146

Depthcam

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 03:22 AM, Bob Aldridge wrote:
But how easy is it to over-ride e.g. the half-width detection

That's always been a problem with SBS auto-detection.  That's why I eventually adopted MPO exclusively.  Too often, narrow SBS is interpreted as HSBS and stretched along the horizontal.

Francois

Nima

Great question Bob. Our data shows that it gets full width SBS right 99.6% of the time or more, and gets half width right about 97% of the time or more.

In those rare cases it gets it wrong, it’s very easy to change the “3D tagging” right from the image. And if it failed to add a 3D tag where there should be one (e.g. an SBS slipped through the cracks) you can easily add the tag yourself with a couple taps. No manual file renaming needed ever again!

Bob Aldridge

Great! It's one of those problems that's easy to fix if it's been thought about - and impossible if it hasn't!

Bob Aldridge

On 07/05/2021 20:29, Nima wrote:
Great question Bob. Our data shows that it gets full width SBS right 99.6% of the time or more, and gets half width right about 97% of the time or more.

In those rare cases it gets it wrong, it’s very easy to change the “3D tagging” right from the image. And if it failed to add a 3D tag where there should be one (e.g. an SBS slipped through the cracks) you can easily add the tag yourself with a couple taps. No manual file renaming needed ever again!

Depthcam

As I pointed out from the onset, adding MPO compatibility opens up a whole new market of owners of the many cameras that record stereo images as MPO files that are looking for a larger 3D display..

To name a few:
Fuji W1
Fuji W3
Lumix 3D1
Lumix 3D lens
HTC Evo 3D
JVC TD1

Also, quite a number of Sony cameras had a "3D sweep panorama" mode that recorded a stereo pair as an MPO file.  Some examples are the NEX-7, NEX-5N, NEX-C3, Alpha SLT-A35, Alpha SLT-A37 (all APS-C cameras) as well as several compact models such as the DSC-WX5, DSC-WX30, DSC-WX50, DSC-WX60 and TX9.

Most of those those cameras mainly relied on people having a 3D TV. Being able to play those files on a Lume Pad without any fuss certainly is a plus and it might be worth advertising that point in your publicity.

Francois