Phorlorn Phereo Phailed

robert mcafee

That is I am forlorned because Phereo has failed again.  Website seems to be down.  I appear to be able to  access through the Phereo app for my 3D phone and PhereoRoll3D.

Phereo has been very unreliable for some time but recently users had been posting images again.  I like and use Stereopix and have donated a small amount to the creator of Stereopix, but there are still features of Phereo I like.

Bob

JackDesBwa|3D

Phereo has failed again.  Website seems to be down.
Apparently, the SSL certificate for the server hosting the images was not renewed (expired about 3-4 days ago).
I changed https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ to ignore this misused security feature too.

but there are still features of Phereo I like.
JFI, which feature in Phereo is missing in Stereopix for you?

JackDesBwa

timo@guildwood.net

I will chime in here, if that’s okay.

I like how Phereo lets you know who “liked” your images. This creates a camaraderie (camera-derie?)that encourages posting more, and better images (at least that is what I find more satisfying). I find that I don’t “like” very many images (as opposed to actually liking the images). I feel as though it is a defeated purpose if the person doesn’t know who “liked”, and thus liked their image. I think other people feel similarly, since there are few “likes” for even the best images. It is a subconscious thing.

Timo

On Apr 15, 2021, at 12:25 PM, Stereopix Net <contact@...> wrote:

Phereo has failed again.  Website seems to be down.
Apparently, the SSL certificate for the server hosting the images was not renewed (expired about 3-4 days ago).
I changed https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ to ignore this misused security feature too.

but there are still features of Phereo I like.
JFI, which feature in Phereo is missing in Stereopix for you?

The thing about Phereo that Stereopix cannot match is its longstanding popularity.  It is known around the world and many Europeans (especially from Eastern countries) use it regularly... or should I say "use to use it".  The problem over the last year has been that most of the pictures uploaded to Phereo were travel pictures and, since the pandemic, there hasn't been much traveling and so the site has gone relatively quiet.

I very much like Stereopix but it is a very different interface and has nowhere the number of posters that Phereo has (or had before the pandemic).  I am glad that there are two 3D picture hosting websites and hope that it remains that way.

Going to http://www.Phereo.com no images are displayed for me  I am running an older ESR version  of Firefox  I did not allow flash player to be uninstalled

I believe the issue I am having with viewing has something to do with flask player. Perhaps my antivirus/firewall blocking?  Is anyone else able to access Phereo and view images on their site?

On Thursday, April 15, 2021, 12:26 PM, Stereopix Net <contact@...> wrote:

Phereo has failed again.  Website seems to be down.
Apparently, the SSL certificate for the server hosting the images was not renewed (expired about 3-4 days ago).
I changed https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ to ignore this misused security feature too.

but there are still features of Phereo I like.
JFI, which feature in Phereo is missing in Stereopix for you?

I believe the issue I am having with viewing has something to do with flask player. Perhaps my antivirus/firewall blocking?

As I said before, it is because their SSL certificate expired ("Valid from January 11, 2021 to April 11, 2021") and was not renewed.
Then the browser assumes that it is risky and refuses to load the images.

Is anyone else able to access Phereo and view images on their site?

If you force your browser to accept the certificate, it would work. Perhaps if you change the date of the computer too (not tested).
Phereo official Android app, PhereoRoll3D, https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ are places where you can see the images despite the certificate error.

The renewal of the SSL is a formality (someone just needs to submit some documentation) or there is a cost involved?

As I recall there was some effort to pass the site over to someone who might maintain it. Perhaps the last person from Phereo who was doing some maintenance might renew. If there are costs involved perhaps this community might help with this.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:50 AM, Stereopix Net
<contact@...> wrote:
I believe the issue I am having with viewing has something to do with flask player. Perhaps my antivirus/firewall blocking?

As I said before, it is because their SSL certificate expired ("Valid from January 11, 2021 to April 11, 2021") and was not renewed.
Then the browser assumes that it is risky and refuses to load the images.

Is anyone else able to access Phereo and view images on their site?

If you force your browser to accept the certificate, it would work. Perhaps if you change the date of the computer too (not tested).
Phereo official Android app, PhereoRoll3D, https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ are places where you can see the images despite the certificate error.

The renewal of the SSL is a formality (someone just needs to submit some documentation) or there is a cost involved?

The certificate was signed by Let's Encrypts, which provides the service for free thanks to automated verifications and large tech company support.
Depending on how it was configured on the server of phereo, it could be as simple as running a command, or something more time consuming (stop the server, run the challenge, copy the new files, restart the server...). Anyhow, it has to be done by the maintainer.

On Stereopix, I configured this to be fully automated and managed by the server itself [it took some efforts to make it work fine autonomously], so that I do not forget to renew it every 2 or 3 months, even if Let's Encrypts sends mails a few days before the expiration date.

Perhaps the last person from Phereo who was doing some maintenance might renew.

I hope so.

I forgot about it, but I launched a script a few weeks ago, so that I can now give some stats about the images on phereo.

There are 248536 public images and 18180 of them returned an error (bypassing the certificate errors), which is 7.3% or 1 over 13.7 in average [at least during this test period]
I did not test all variants available on the site, only the biggest definition.
The images still available weight about 157GB (only one variant) as far as I can tell, and the metadata probably around 100MB.

Repartition of the losses over time is attached.
The intuition that most errors appeared around early 2019 is confirmed, and almost all of the images published after this moment are apparently lost. :-(

JackDesBwa