Rokit 3D phones

robert mcafee

I noticed on Rokit's website most models of their phones were sold out. I contacted them to inquire if they were discontinuing the phones or the 3D phones. Below is their response.  Perhaps we will see a new model with a stereo camera or at least one that will save images with embedded depth maps

===============

I'm excited to see you are interested in our devices. We are not discontinuing our ROKiT 3D phones, we are always looking for ways to improve them. We will be coming out with newer models soon. We currently don't have an estimated time of when they will come out however, feel free to follow us on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook for news, promos, and updates.

If you are interested in purchasing one of our 3D devices, click here, we still have ROKiT iO Pro 3D and ROKiT iO 3D devices available.

Depthcam

Edited

I know exactly what's coming next...  But due to NDAs, my lips are sealed.

This was all going to happen early this year, but covid and travel restrictions have seriously delayed new products.

All I can say is:  You will not be disappointed !

There will be announcements on the 3D Tablets & Phones group when they are ready.

Francois

mrthreed

I just found this interesting article comparing 3D photos shot with a Huawei P30 Pro using depth maps and photos shot with a Fuji W1:

https://kbqvist.wixsite.com/photoq/post/huawei-p30-pro-smartphone-vs-the-fuji-real-3d-as-a-stereo-camera

I noticed on Rokit's website most models of their phones were sold out. I contacted them to inquire if they were discontinuing the phones or the 3D phones. Below is their response.  Perhaps we will see a new model with a stereo camera or at least one that will save images with embedded depth maps

===============

I'm excited to see you are interested in our devices. We are not discontinuing our ROKiT 3D phones, we are always looking for ways to improve them. We will be coming out with newer models soon. We currently don't have an estimated time of when they will come out however, feel free to follow us on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook for news, promos, and updates.

If you are interested in purchasing one of our 3D devices, click here, we still have ROKiT iO Pro 3D and ROKiT iO 3D devices available.

John Clement

The article seems to prefer the depth map pictures.  However I find that they all flatten the depth and rather resemble the results from my old Thrill phone which has very close lenses.  The anaglyph images conceal a lot of faults.  I would want to see actual color images as sBS high resolution copies.  The Mickey mouse W3 closeup did not look bad to me.  The statue picture had some depth problems which look like poor 3D conversions. The L arm of the statue is too far back, and some of the trees look like paper cutouts.  The car photo in the depth map had some strange floating pieces on the hood, also very similar to poor 3D conversions.

Overall I would say that the depth map was a very inferior 3D image.  Yes, the cell phone image has better detail, but it is possible to refocus and denoise the W3 images to improve them.  It is doubtful that the depth disparities of the depth map images can be easily fixed.  Once the depth has been determined by the sensors, only hand editing can fix it.

Ghosting is caused by the viewing system, not the photograph.  The author complains of ghosting, but I would submit that viewing an SBS print in a Holmes viewer or in a good VR headset would get rid of the ghosting.  The Mickey photo would pose problems if it were displayed on a large screen, so the solution is to have the horizontal alignment adjusted to prevent wide separation of the background.  Mickey might then pop out.  Ghosting is obvious when you have images with very high contrast between light and dark areas with wide horizontal separation between L&R.  That is why the author saw ghosting in the car and Mickey images.

I have seen some fairly good images created by depth maps, but I am sure that there will be a number of random images that have obvious depth artifacts.  The truth is that the average viewer would not notice them, but experienced 3D photographers would be disappointed.  The only good reason for using the tested 3D phone is convenience.

I found the article discouraging because the author preferred the flattened images with obvious depth artifacts.  I suspect if the depth map photos were adjusted to match the W3 depth, the artifacts would be much more obvious.  Limiting the depth conceals the problems.

John M. Clement

[...]

I found the article very interesting.  I did not at all get the impression that the author prefers the images resulting from the use of depth maps.  He pointed out artifacts as well as some depth errors.  His point is that it is much easier to edit a single picture before applying the depth map than to try and edit left and right images separately.  He is not saying that a single picture + depth map can replace a twin lens approach but that, in situations where you only have your phone with a single lens, if it can produce a depth map, then a fairly acceptable 3D picture can be obtained from it.

This is exactly the same as Looking Glass has been pointing out in the marketing of their Looking Glass Portrait.  They argue that most modern phones can record a depth map and that it can be used to generate multiple views that are then displayed as a hologram using their product.  But even they point out the result is not perfect and suggest the use of a slide bar for serious work.

So the point is not to suggest that 2D cameras with depth maps are just as good as a 3D camera but that - given this tech is available on most modern phones - one might as well take advantage of it when there is no other option.

Francois

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:24 AM, mrthreed wrote:
3D photos shot with a Huawei P30 Pro
Excellent! I just purchased a P30 Pro (not for 3D) and I am pleased to learn that it embeds a depth map in its JPEG files (in aperture priority mode) and that SPM can process such images.
BTW I have taken a few stereo images using 3Dsteroid pro on my P30 Pro and they are excellent.
Remark: the Huawei P30 Pro new edition (256 Gb!, 520 Euros) has Google, Play Store etc. on it, as opposed to the more recent P40 Pro etc. due to Trump restrictions.

Dariush Radpour

"Ghosting is caused by the viewing system, not the photograph.  The author complains of ghosting, but I would submit that viewing an SBS print in a Holmes viewer or in a good VR headset would get rid of the ghosting.  The Mickey photo would pose problems if it were displayed on a large screen, so the solution is to have the horizontal alignment adjusted to prevent wide separation of the background.  Mickey might then pop out.  Ghosting is obvious when you have images with very high contrast between light and dark areas with wide horizontal separation between L&R.  That is why the author saw ghosting in the car and Mickey images."

The ghosting problem is a very complex issue and depends on the endless factors!
It depends on your screen color set-up
it depends if your ana-glasses are matched with your screen set-up
it depends if your printer's set-up is matched with your glasses
it depends on your experience to avoid too much strong light and shade contrast zones in your image close to each other and..
it depends that you kow how to use the de-ghosting method with photoshop.

cheers to all,

Dariush

John Clement

But if you take a 3D picture, turn it into a Holmes card, and then view it is a Holmes viewer there is NO ghosting. I have never seen ghosting when I freeview SBS images.  So yes, all of the items in the list are true, and all are related to the method of viewing.  I pointed out the characteristics of images that are prone to look ghosted.   Some methods of SBS viewers such as Holmes viewers, View-Master, Realist format…. VR viewers have no ghosting, so it is in the presentation method that allows one side to bleed slightly into the other.  Supposedly the Dolby system that splits each color into R/L bands has much less ghosting.  Also the linear polarization method has been claimed to have less ghosting than the circular polarization.  The Shutter methods have ghosting if the screen has some persistence, or if the shutter does not perfectly overlap with the screen.  Even when black the shutter may will let some light through which also causes ghosting.  The diddling with the image just makes ghosting less obvious, but some bleed is still there.  And then there are the 3D presentation devices that are poorly designed such as the Rembrandt that I tried and returned.  Some people are much more sensitive to ghosting, which is also in the viewing and not the original image.

Of course the non-ghosting viewing methods have their problems such as poor lighting, reflections on the prints, or inability to converge free-views.  Digital copies of film never look exactly the same.  Printed SBS 3D viewed using lorgnette viewers will have distortion and color fringing, but no ghosting.

The author of the original article seemed to think the ghosting was in the image, while it really was in the presentation system that allows bleeding between the R/L images.  At present it is not physically possible to have a screen viewing system either with glasses or glasses free without some bleed through, but the pro movie producers have done a fairly good job of flattening the brightness range when it makes the ghosting obvious, or by changing the depth so the object of interest is near to the plane of the screen.  The images always have to be compromised.  A little light in your viewing room can also make ghosting less obvious.

John M. Clement

[...]

There are most likely 3D products in the works that will surprise many.

Francois

DaveJes1979

My Red Hydrogen is starting to get a little long in the tooth.  I hope you're right, I'd be eager to upgrade to a new stereoscopic camera phone within the next few months.

While the Hydrogen has a very large battery, it is still difficult to push a phone past 2 years of service, 3 max. Since there are almost no phones being made with interchangeable batteries anymore, that is the limiting component.

robert mcafee

I believe the Rokit io 3D (not io Pro 3D) has a user replaceable battery. Someone in England on this group reported they had to install the battery in that phone when purchased.  I do not have personal experience with that model to confirm. Also it is lower resolution than the Pro model

Bob Aldridge

Yes. I can confirm this. In addition it has two separate sim sockets and a micro SD card socket, so it can be used as dual sim at the same time as have storage on a micro SD card. That's pretty rare even in 2D phones!

Sadly, the rest of the phone isn't particularly good. I was using one during the Akron NSA convention and all too often couldn't get a phone signal let alone 4G data (it's a US spec phone - the UK spec phone does 4G in Europe but not in the USA and vice versa for the US spec phone)

So it sits in a drawer most of the time...

Bob Aldridge