From: ron labbe via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 28 March 2021 1:29 AM
To: main@Photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: [Photo-3d] HTML5 Gallery via SPM

For some reason any gallery I create is not showing anaglyph or interlace (just keeps saying "in progress"). Any thoughts on this? thanks

KenK

Are older galleries working for you? Here's one to test
https://kovarski.github.io/
Are your galleries showing para & cross ok?
Are your files very large?
I always triple check filenames are all consistent & javascript friendly (to simplify this I keep my filenames all lowercase without spaces)

Paul Thoele

The "in progress ..." problem started last year with the new browser versions.
If you start your show with   file:///var/www/html/stereo5/index.html it is stuck when using Interlaced and Anaglyph modes.
I solved this by installing a local webserver and start the show with http://localhost/index.htm.
Hiawatha, lighttpd and nginx are small easy to install webservers.

thvandam

Another thing in web / make html5 stereo viewer
When selected filenames have upper-case letters you are offered a service to convert these to lower-case. Great.
The index_m html file contains the lower-case filenames for pictures and thumbnail pictures.
Unfortunately the thumb files are not created in lower-case. I found out after uploading to a site and the thumb pictures did not show up in the index_m page.
Best convert pictures to lower case before starting the web / viewer menu.
The make html viewer is a very nice part of SPM!

Antonio F.G.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 09:29 AM, ron labbe wrote:
For some reason any gallery I create is not showing anaglyph or interlace (just keeps saying "in progress"). Any thoughts on this? thanks
It happened to me also, when opening the web site as a local file (file://***). Everything went well when opening the same page uploaded to a remote server. Also when running locally using a local http server.

The reason is a very counterintuitive security issue: It is safer to open a remote site than one in your own computer (do not ask me to explain why:-)

Regards
    Antonio

Harold Baize

Are you trying to run it locally, on a lap top or desk top? If so you will find that it works correctly when uploaded to a server.

JackDesBwa|3D

The reason is a very counterintuitive security issue: It is safer to open a remote site than one in your own computer (do not ask me to explain why:-)

Because if it did not block access through the file protocol, it would have to give access to the whole disk, including the files where password are stored.
By having a local server, the perimeter of security is well defined for the browser. It is now the local server that has the responsibility to limit access to the right files, which is one of its core functionalities.

JackDesBwa

jetozour

If you are using Windows, then the answer is to use Internet Explorer. Many things that used to work in other browsers continue to work in IE. HTML5 viewer files on my hard drive opened with IE still work in anaglyph and interlaced though they don't work with Firefox or Chrome.

Jim

ron labbe

Are you trying to run it locally, on a lap top or desk top? If so you will find that it works correctly when uploaded to a server.
BINGO! Thanks, Harold... THAT is the correct answer... uploaded to my remote server and all looks fine. No wonder your Burning Man site still looks great :) https://3dculture.com/bm3d/2019/2019h_m.htm

ron labbe

It happened to me also, when opening the web site as a local file (file://***). Everything went well when opening the same page uploaded to a remote server. Also when running locally using a local http server.

The reason is a very counterintuitive security issue: It is safer to open a remote site than one in your own computer (do not ask me to explain why:-)
Yes, that was it. Also had to change thumbnail .JPG to lowercase, as "thvandam" mentioned. That is an odd glitch! Thanks again to all who chimed in.

Dennis Boersma

I had the same problem when preparing HTML5 content for the online meetings of the NVvS (the Dutch stereo club). I wanted to check it on my interlaced 3D-monitor before uploading it to my server.
When I reported this to Masuji Suto he replied that browsers seem to restrict local execution for security reasons. He also sent me an index_m.bat file (see below) that starts Chrome with disabled security settings. If you put this file in the same directory as the HTML5 files created by SPM then you can start the HTML5 viewer with all features by executing this index_m.bat file.

index_m.bat:
@echo off
START "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" %~dp0index_m.html  --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-file-access-from-files

Warning: GroupsIO does not allow you to send executable files like the above .bat file as attachment to your message. It does allow you to select these files as attachment but when you send your message it will tell you that your message has been rejected. I learned this the hard way and had to retype my message. :-(   (from now on I will keep a local copy of my message until I have seen that it has been posted)