A new Sigma full-frame mirrorless camera #twinrig

Paul Gillis

I just noticed this review of a new full-frame camera (61 megapixels!) that has the lens very close to the left side of the body.  It might be of interest for making a twin rig, although of course there's no info on how well two of them would sync.   And unfortunately, they're pretty expensive ($2.5K w/o the EVF).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-fp-l-initial-review?ref_=pe_1822230_575685790_dpr_nl_471_3

It would be interesting to mount two SBS & run cables to the two EVFs ($500 each) mounted above the cameras at a good eye spacing. Apparently the EVFs connect through USB and HDMI ports (which are, unfortunately, on the left side of the body).

--Paul Gillis

Bill Costa as just a member

Funny -- saw the photo and immediately moved on, I didn't realize that the viewfinder was an attachment so I didn't realize how close the lens was to the side of the camera.  So the good news is the remote release uses the microphone jack so wiring up a dual release would be easy.  The bad news is that the jack, once again, is on the 'wrong' side of the camera.  There are a number of accessories that 'bolt' onto the short side of the body, and the camera is pretty small, so some sort of thin connector shim with integrated plugs might be possible.  Then there is the expense of the camera, a lot of money for a camera with no EVF when shooting in 3D.

Sigh.

...BC

--
Bill.Costa@...
+1.603.435.8526

timo@guildwood.net

A quick measure from the pictures suggests a minimum lens separation of about 74mm. Pretty good, if you can make, or they offer, a flush plug to electronically join the shutters. If there is a flush plug (and that’s a big IF) it wouldn’t be that bad spacing. If you have to jump through hoops to make a flush plug of your own, then you may as well link a pair of Sony a5100s. At least you know you get exceptional synchronization.

Timo

On Mar 26, 2021, at 8:39 AM, Bill Costa as just a member <costa.wm.f@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Blum

I looked at the prior version of this camera when it came out and, in addition to noting the problem of the attachments being made to the narrow side, I determined that it lacked genlock video capability. This model is the same in both respects. The lack of genlock does not affect stills synchronization in any way, as they are completely unrelated, but it is a lost opportunity for Sigma to offer what would be a groundbreaking feature at this price point.

Mark