Sorting the images of the latest Mars Rover #extraterrestrial

Antonio F.G.

I am trying to sort the Mars Perseverance images in order to make it easier to group them into panoramas, and find a way to match these L and R panoramas into stereo pairs.

I have uploaded to Google Spreadsheets a list of some Mastcam-Z images that can be ordered and filtered in many ways:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/151gMSeNs4SxV2FGV8P09mG9xJylyGnWMkATgVzxriQQ/edit?usp=sharing

A good way to order the images is by "Drive", "Azimuth" (in this order of priority). It places close to each other those images that point to the same place approximately, and of course, are taken from the same place (apparently the "Drive" key changes with the position of the rover ).
Then you can filter to show only the ones that share the same HFV (note the L & R lenses have slightly different HFV's). And finally you can filter out those pointing too low (filter with Altitude > -20°), because these images show just the rover itself. Hopefully you should get a list of images with several L and R keys, and also several altitudes that show the possibility to build panoramas stacking the images in vertical and horizontal.

But I have problems to extend this more. For one thing I could not find the way to access the the JSON data from the NASA site. I built the spreadsheet from metadata provided in this site: https://rkinnett.github.io/roverpics/?mars2020

How can the JSON metadata be read from the NASA site directly?

I signed in the NASA site, and got an "API-Key", but could not get anything useful. They provide an example that is totally useless: https://api.nasa.gov/planetary/apod?api_key=9A49xbxgN67rnhfVeXf2rsXyWTWkpCtPFPAr2bjW

Regards
    Antonio

JackDesBwa|3D

How can the JSON metadata be read from the NASA site directly?

If you check network traffic generated by the site you linked, it calls https://mars.nasa.gov/rss/api/?feed=raw_images&feedtype=json&category=mars2020 like is done in mars-stereo. No key is needed (but there might be a rate limitation per IP internally).
Or reverse-engineer https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/ for more arguments.

JackDesBwa

Antonio F.G.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 07:38 AM, Stereopix Net wrote:
If you check network traffic generated by the site you linked, it calls https://mars.nasa.gov/rss/api/?feed=raw_images&feedtype=json&category=mars2020 like is done in mars-stereo. No key is needed (but there might be a rate limitation per IP internally).
This only shows the images of sol 26 (I guess this is the last "day" in Mars)

But thank you for the ideas, just trying a little more, I got it!
I could download the JSON of the images of a day by adding "&sol=00004" to the url (for sol 4). It was a quite large file, so it looks like it includes all the images of the day.
The full url for sol 4: https://mars.nasa.gov/rss/api/?feed=raw_images&feedtype=json&category=mars2020&sol=00004

By the way, I am now discovering the JSON format of which I knew nothing before Perseverance landing. It looks almost identical to a Python dictionary, so I wonder whether STMANI3 would better use JSON instead of the pretty-printed dictionaries it uses now.

Regards
    Antonio

Antonio F.G.

I made an update of the spreadsheet that includes (I hope) every MastCam image up to now. A little annoyance is Google does not let to update it keeping the same url. This is the new url:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WtMVIyTyAjSW11wvUii77BNp5dPK3pnl7wBTg-62RF8/edit?usp=sharing

Regards
    Antonio

Antonio F.G.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 05:38 PM, Antonio F.G. wrote:
I made an update of the spreadsheet that includes (I hope) every MastCam image up to now. A little annoyance is Google does not let to update it keeping the same url.
To avoid the issue of different url's at every Google Spreadsheet update, I made a common url that redirects to the latest Spreadsheet version:
   http://afgalaz.es/nasa/perseverance.html

Today it includes up to Sol 29, and the NavCam and MastCam cameras (both of them are stereo)

I had told this before in another thread, but it looks better to show it also under the title "Sorting the images of the Mars Rover"

Regards
     Antonio

Antonio F.G.

I made an update of the spreadsheet with the images provided by the Perseverance Mars rover:

http://afgalaz.es/nasa/perseverance.html

They include all the available images from the MastCam and the NavCam up to Sol 37 (last spreadsheet reached up to Sol 29)

   Regards
       Antonio