3D Image Creation Software

Edited

You may be interested in my FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) application. Popout3D is designed to be very easy to use, it automatically aligns images vertically and in rotation. You can take several images of the same subject and it will produce an image for every possible pairing in that set and can batch process a folder of pairs of images. It is available:

I have only just discovered 3Denlive through this site, so I'm not able to make a comparison with that.

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Added to this list:

I think you need to add some installation/launch instructions on your source version. I didn't succeed to make it running from the sources. It returns with an error trying to locate a non-existent file (launched from "home" sub folder):
/usr/share/popout3d/popout3d.glade

I will give a try to your deb version soon.

;-)

Le 09/02/2021 à 04:02, Etienne Monneret (Perso) a écrit :
I will give a try to your deb version soon.
Very first try...

I reported you about a small bug on the GitHub issues.

The obligation to properly name each file is a big constraint, I think. You should offer the possibility to manually select file pairs in a list (or two displayed lists), and/or having other kinds of file organisation (like 2 folders containing identical file names).

The processing seems good. But, I do not find the difference between "Level" and "Popout" style. Possibly I need to test with more images.

There is a problem with your JPG compression for anaglyphs: it merges red/green/blue layers together, thus created artificial compression ghostings. Especially, the red layer is marked with a print of the green/blue layers. To avoid this, you need to use a JPG compression without chroma sub-sampling. In Gimp, for example, this is obtained using the advanced JPG sub-sampling option "4:4:4". You may also save as PNG, but with larger file sizes.

Remark: using the "=" sign in the output file is not a good idea. It is often considered as a special char having a special effect in many situations (like in a Linux shell).

Hope you will get a lot of fun developing your software!

;-)

Etienne

Edited

@Etienne Monneret (Perso)  "I think you need to add some installation/launch instructions on your source version. I didn't succeed to make it running from the sources. It returns with an error"
As I said in my OP - "An expert might be able to install it". It needs to code editing to make it work like that. I've added a comment to that effect.

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 11:39, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
As I said in my OP - "An expert might be able to install it". It needs to code editing to make it work like that. It's probably best if I remove that line.

Ok, but even an expert enjoy to get minimal information about how to install and run your app. It's usually included in a README or an INSTALL file. I've been a developer for about 30 years. I may do a lot of things. But, I'm not an expert in all development languages, nor all kinds of installation systems or ways to launch an app. I may tune a bit an installation procedure, but usually, I give up very soon when I need to enter in the code itself. I really need a very strong motivation to try to understand how a code is working, why it is failing, and how to fix a running bug.

Edited

The obligation to properly name each file is a big constraint, I think. You should offer the possibility to manually select file pairs in a list (or two displayed lists), and/or having other kinds of file organisation (like 2 folders containing identical file names).
I take a few images, moving the camera from left to right between each one, so I have a choice of pairs. Removing the '-' would be dodgy since pairs are matched automatically. I thought it was safest to be strict with that – to avoid the situation where it matches all possible pairs from 9 (IMAG001.JPG ... IMAG009.JPG), so processing 36 3D images.
No of 2D images    No of 3D images
2                             1
3                             3
4                             6
5                            10
6                            15
7                            21
8                            28
9                            36
I suppose that having to press the button to Queue gives the opportunity of seeing how many will be created and fixing it before pressing Process though. I could add a switch to make this optional or just remove it and leave it up to the user to be sensible...
The processing seems good. But, I do not find the difference between "Level" and "Popout" style. Possibly I need to test with more images.
The image alignment is from Hugin's align-image-stack and is very sophisticated. "Popout" is provided by that, it rarely makes a difference but can be good when it does. I will change the Help from 'In some cases the effect is startling, in others there is not much difference from "Level"' to In some cases the effect is startling, in most there is not much difference from "Level".

There is a problem with your JPG compression for anaglyphs: it merges red/green/blue layers together, thus created artificial compression ghostings. Especially, the red layer is marked with a print of the green/blue layers. To avoid this, you need to use a JPG compression without chroma sub-sampling. In Gimp, for example, this is obtained using the advanced JPG sub-sampling option "4:4:4". You may also save as PNG, but with larger file sizes.

Does that mean that if the originals are JPG this will never work, or because of the way they are merged after alignment?

Remark: using the "=" sign in the output file is not a good idea. It is often considered as a special char having a special effect in many situations (like in a Linux shell).
I could make that optional.

Edited

Ok, but even an expert enjoy to get minimal information about how to install and run your app.
Were you attempting to run it on Windows or Mac?

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 12:29, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
Were you attempting to run it on Windows or Mac?
Linux XUbuntu

My test was made after having successfully installed it with your DEB package.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:30 AM, Etienne Monneret (Perso) wrote:
Linux XUbuntu
My OP said on "Windows or Mac" in which case it is obvious it would be necessary to install Gtk and probably do other work (I have added that it would be necessary to change the code). None of those 3 lines mentioned running it from source on Linux. I can't be responsible for what people try if I haven't even suggested it :).

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 12:26, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
There is a problem with your JPG compression for anaglyphs: it merges red/green/blue layers together, thus created artificial compression ghostings. Especially, the red layer is marked with a print of the green/blue layers. To avoid this, you need to use a JPG compression without chroma sub-sampling. In Gimp, for example, this is obtained using the advanced JPG sub-sampling option "4:4:4". You may also save as PNG, but with larger file sizes.

Does that mean that if the originals are JPG this will never work, or because of the way they are merged after alignment?

The problem is not with originals. It comes from the JPG compression on the resulting anaglyph.

In the analgyph file, the red layer is coding for the left image, while the green/blue layers are coding for the right image. Often, the default JPG compression is using a chroma sub-sampling that mix a bit the red/green/blue layers. This causes the left and right views to be mixed. Thus, the left eye is seeing the left image with a bit of the right image, and the right eye is seeing the right image with a bit of the left image = ghosting.

Find attached a short example, with the anaglyph produced with your software, its red layer alone, and its green/blue layers alone. Have a look at each.

You can reproduce like this:

  1. open the JPG anaglyph in Gimp
  2. open the layer panel, and uncheck all but red layer or green/blue layers

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Edited

Le 09/02/2021 à 12:38, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
My OP said on "Windows or Mac" in which case it is obvious it would be necessary to install Gtk and probably do other work (I have added that it would be necessary to change the code). None of those 3 lines mentioned running it from source on Linux. I can't be responsible for what people try if I haven't even suggested it :).

Sorry for that. I thought you were publishing an open-source code primarily targeted for Linux, since you also released a DEB package for it. In fact, since the DEB package is properly working, I will simply give up with the install-from-source attempt.

;-)

It's good that it's not from the originals because not being able to use JPGs would be a big disadvantage.
I'm not sure what these images represent, could you tell me what they are?

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 13:06, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
I'm not sure what these images represent, could you tell me what they are?
It was explained in my previous mail. Not sure to understand what kind of complementary explanation you need. Can you explain what is not clear for you?

So far as I'm aware all open-source means is that the source is open, it doesn't mean that the source file will run as-is. I have no intention of doing that as there is a Debian package and a Flatpak.

Is this what you mean?
"Find attached a short example, with the anaglyph produced with your software, its red layer alone, and its green/blue layers alone. Have a look at each."
Your list only has 3 - anaglyph, red, green/blue, there are five images. Are they red, cyan, anaglyph, original left, original right?

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 13:12, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
So far as I'm aware all open-source means is that the source is open, it doesn't mean that the source file will run as-is. I have no intention of doing that as there is a Debian package and a Flatpak.

Ok. I was just trying to help you. I find you are a bit rude with your answers.

This discussion is in fact due to the history of events:

  • when I tried to install your software, I didn't already receive your first mail on this list, certainly delayed because of the moderation following your registration. This is the reason why I tried to install it from sources, without success.
  • I then received you first mail, telling there is DEB file. This is the reason why I wrote "I didn't succeed to make it running from the sources... I will give a try to your deb version soon".
  • I then took the time to try your deb, and build a constructive report for you.

Hope you find some interest on my efforts...

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 13:31, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
Are they red, cyan, anaglyph, original left, original right?

Yes

I find you are a bit rude with your answers.
I find some of yours rude too, but I make allowances for other peoples' styles and the fact that we don't all have English as our first language.

I think this forum is more like a mailing list than a proper forum which may be why things get out of sequence.

I agree that the 3D image looks strange, but the 4th one looks to me like a right image and the 5th one like a left.

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 09/02/2021 à 13:47, ChrisOfBristol via groups.io a écrit :
I agree that the 3D image looks strange, but the 4th one looks to me like a right image and the 5th one like a left.

Don't you see how layers are merged, producing an echo (ghost) of all contents?