Apple’s First Headset to Be Niche Precursor to Eventual AR Glasses #vrheadset

"Apple Inc.’s first crack at a headset is designed to be a pricey,
niche precursor to a more ambitious augmented reality product
that will take longer to develop, according to people with
knowledge of the matter. ... As a mostly virtual reality device,
it will display an all-encompassing 3-D digital environment for
gaming, watching video and communicating. AR functionality, the
ability to overlay images and information over a view of the real
world, will be more limited. Apple has planned to launch the
product as soon as 2022, going up against Facebook Inc.’s Oculus,
Sony Corp.’s PlayStation VR and headsets from HTC Corp. ..."

The complete detailed and lengthy article can be found here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-21/apple-s-first-vr-headset-to-be-niche-precursor-to-eventual-ar-glasses

Depthcam

Many companies make big promises.

Let's wait and see.. for an actual, affordable, and practical product !

Francois

Many companies make big promises. Let's wait and see.. for an
actual, affordable, and practical product !
Well this isn't a promise from Apple. I believe this is some
unauthorized information leaking out. This is something they
definitely do *not* want to have happen.

https://financialpost.com/technology/apple-warns-employees-to-stop-leaking-information-to-media

With the return of Steve Jobs, Apple has had a history of *not*
releasing information about future products in development, but rather
introducing the product in a big splash when they are ready to start
shipping. The most famous example of a 'surprise' Apple product would
be the iPhone.

Apple also has a history of not inventing, but in reinventing. Again,
the iPhone was not the first mobile phone, but it reinvented the idea
of what a mobile phone could be.

So it will be interesting to see what the Apple approach to VR/AR will
be, if they do indeed decide to get into that market.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:08 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
So it will be interesting to see what the Apple approach to VR/AR will
be, if they do indeed decide to get into that market.

And that's what I mean.  Let's wait and see.

We already have a plethora of promising products announced or already on the market but not accessible except via the "buy before you try" method.

Francois