Phereo unofficial frontend

JackDesBwa|3D

As you know, Phereo is difficult to browse nowadays. The main reason is that it uses an old protocol that is now rejected by browsers for security reasons. Thanks to repl.it, I wrote a workaround that is not as satisfying as fixing phereo, but could help to access the big library nonetheless (read only of course).

The drawback is that each thumbnail/photo/avatar is first downloaded by the app accepting the old protocol (without cache) and then served to you with newer protocol, so that it travels twice. I do not like that, but it is the only way I found to make it possible. Also, it seems that the startup process of repl interfere with the page, so that you might have to refresh if you woke up the app.

I made an "alias" address, so that it can stay the same even if I had to change the hosting service: https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/

It is just a frontend, so it heavily depends on phereo itself for almost everything.

Wow thanks Jack!

I believe Phereo depends very much on Flash Player. Support for the product is ended 31 Dec 2020 AND Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning tomorrow 12 Jan 2021.

Does this mean Phereo will be no longer functional?

I read something about BlueMaxima Flashpoint for running older games requiring Flash Player. I don’t know if that would be useful for the Phereo issues.

I think I recently updated my Chrome browser. I will have to check if the update removed Flash Player or the ability to run it from Chrome

On Monday, January 11, 2021, 9:45 AM, Stereopix Net <contact@...> wrote:

[...]

JackDesBwa

Hi, Jack. I tried your link https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/ with Chrome and with Edge browsers on my windows 10 laptop. I cannot seem to open any images, although I do see large thumbnails (below a large black rectangle that fills most of the screen) after I click on a category such as "favorites".  And there are search options at the bottom. Your note suggested that images might load slowly, but I see nothing after several minutes. Am I missing something?  Linda N

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:45 AM Stereopix Net <contact@...> wrote:
[...]

Am I missing something?

I did not tested with a lot of browsers and apparently I forgot one line that made some browsers to crash in the scripts.
(old browsers will probably not work at all, but it would be too much trouble to handle them)

I added a "page code" in one of the boxes at the bottom of the page.
It allows to start with a particular collection, which could be useful to use in bookmarks or to share a link.

For example, the code "latestuploads" can be use like this: https://phereo-unofficial.stereopix.net/?latestuploads
You can also refer to a particular page with the hash part of the URL (by appending #5 for the 5th page)

Oh! Phereo moved to TLS1.3 and the main display problem should then be solved now.
However, the CORS headers are not set for all photos so that some images (apparently the old ones, but not sure) have still display errors. Phereo-unofficial might still be needed for viewing them.

JackDesBwa