I've joined the club - Oculus Quest 2

Mike Brown

My family surprised me with a gift of an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset. Over the past few years, I've read posts about such devices but never planned on getting one myself. Now that I have one, I'm thrilled. Reading past posts from this group & the NSA Facebook group, I was able to learn what apps were recommended for use with the Quest 2. Very quickly, I was viewing my side-by-side pairs and MPOs. I also had some spherical 360s that I had taken with my drone and was amazed how great everything looked. I was also delighted to see how much free 3D content, both VR 180 & 3D 360 is on YouTube VR. This will help the winter go faster.

Now I'm considering getting a VR180 camera. Any recommendations?

I've posted a couple of videos:

Oculus Quest 2 Unboxing

Demonstration of some apps of interest to 3D photographers

Any other recommended apps I should know about?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Depthcam

My recommendation is to sit back and wait as new 3D 180 cameras will be introduced in 2021 that solve many of the problems of the current ones.  Right now most of the 3D 180 cameras out there are compromises as their designers sought to make these cameras record in two formats: 3D 180 and 2D 360.  This results in cameras or lenses that are in two parts or must swivel in some way but do not have any displays or any means for adjusting settings without a phone.

Some of the coming cameras will take a different approach and feature displays.  So at this point, it is best to wait and see what the new products offer in terms of design and resolution..

Francois

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:57 AM, Mike Brown wrote:
Any other recommended apps I should know about?
I just bought Red Matter (and the graphics are killer) so I can practice using my handy-dandy Boy Scout percentage ruler. It's half price on Steam, but you gotta use Oculus Link for that, otherwise it's full price via the Oculus store.

Here's my first 3D screenshot. How 'bout that 3.33% positive parallax?
Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3340570769388133
Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/rogermaddy/status/1344396788447395840/photo/1

Here's a few minutes of Red Matter with a global setting of 3.3% (1/30) positive parallax:
https://youtu.be/ubbZ20xljrM

You can watch it with an Oculus Quest via the YouTube VR app.
Captured with Oculus Link, Oculus Compositor Mirror and OBS.
Composited, edited and rendered with Vegas Pro.

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 30/12/2020 à 22:56, Roger Maddy a écrit :
Here's my first 3D screenshot. How 'bout that 3.33% positive parallax?
Via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3340570769388133 <https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3340570769388133>
Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/rogermaddy/status/1344396788447395840/photo/1 <https://twitter.com/rogermaddy/status/1344396788447395840/photo/1>
There is something very strange with this stereo:
- nearly no parallax in the whole scene, it's nearly like a wallpaper
- far too strong parallax on the hands, very uncomfortable
- the lights in the sky seem have moved between shots. They are supposed to be far away, but with a parallax putting them in front (like the hands).

Nearly impossible to see properly for me.

See attached animated GIF.

Nicolas

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the club ! ;)
Because nobody knows when the new 3d cameras will be released, if you can afford it I advise you not to wait and buy an Insta360 Evo !
The camera is not perfect (no screen, very heavy files, unprotected lenses,...) but you can take it with you and record everyday life very very easily (in 3d 180 or 2d 360).
I like it so much that I bought a second one (and a hard case) when I discovered scratches on the lenses of the first one...
I know that some of my French fellows, very experienced stereo photographers, have tried this camera a few months ago... and use it intensively now.
Nicolas

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:40 PM, Etienne Monneret (Perso) wrote:
Nearly impossible to see properly for me.
My suggestion is you should join the club and get an Oculus Quest 2. :)))

Depthcam

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 07:52 AM, Nicolas wrote:

Because nobody knows when the new 3d cameras will be released, if you can afford it I advise you not to wait and buy an Insta360 Evo !

The reason why I don't recommend purchasing any of the available cameras right now is that I know what the coming cameras will offer and they will make any of the available ones close to obsolete.  But sure, if you can't wait and really absolutely need to shoot content right now, the Evo is a good choice.

Francois

DaveJes1979

I assume you are referring to the forthcoming 3D module for the Insta360 with the 1" sensors.

Or are there other secrets you are keeping from is? 😃

Mr peter homer

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the club ! ;)
Because nobody knows when the new 3d cameras will be released, if you can afford it I advise you not to wait and buy an Insta360 Evo !
The camera is not perfect (no screen, very heavy files, unprotected lenses,...) but you can take it with you and record

The Vuze would seem to be a better companion for a vr viewer with its 360 3d but that also has the inconvenience of no screen and it seems quite difficult to get to talk to your phone requiring aditional firmware, I  still have not managed to do it. But in this case there is plenty of room on top of the camera for a screen, a square one being the best fit. This may be because there is a concave depression instead which a ball could be placed in to level it in two dimensions but there is no mention of this in the manual or online.  Peter Homer

Ted Whitten

I too, have a Quest 2, and a Go, and an Insta360 EVO.  I love the EVO, but sadly I ruined mine by scratching up the lenses badly.  It's worthless now.  I'd love to buy another.  Just a lot of money to spend again, after only getting a couple uses out of the camera.  Also, it is disappointing that they don't have an app for the Quest 2, and no plans to make one either, from what I understand.  If you have an Oculus Go, there's an app that lets you connect the camera and Go wirelessly, and stream your newly shot VR videos straight to the headset immediately.

Ted

Depthcam

> I assume you are referring to the forthcoming 3D module for the Insta360 with the 1" sensors.

Not specifically.  Although that is an option, what I am talking about is something else.

> Or are there other secrets you are keeping from us?

There are - due to NDAs.

Francois

Gordon Au

Edited

Nice videos, Michael! That Pigasus app looks most convenient.

And Roger, nice 3D capture from Red Matter. The foreground–background difference in depth is pretty extreme, but fine for me free-viewing. Etienne, those aren't lights in the sky, but falling snow, I believe.

More on the latter topic of *capturing* 3D from the Quest, there are some active feature requests on the official Oculus forums related to capturing screenshots from *both* eyes, and also capturing 360º panoramas. If yall have interest, I encourage you to log in and 'vote' for these features!

http://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/38112418-make-it-easier-to-create-a-facebook-3d-screensho

http://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest-2-and-quest/suggestions/40147135-3d-cast-screenshots

Per my comments there, I think such capture capabilities would be a boost to Oculus promoting new content. Quest users could experience immersive previews/ads of new games, and reviewers could post 3D videos to YouTube, where folks with anaglyph glasses or 3D TVs could watch in 3D. Of course, I don't think Oculus will pay attention to these requests without a lot more upvotes…

In the meantime, I'll be attempting in-game cha-chas like Roger. Anyone have other 3D capture methods? It's too bad that Oculus Mirror Compositor doesn't appear to work with Quest. [Edit: OMC *does* work with Quest 2, Link cable, and VR-ready PC, as Roger has subsequently stated.]

- Gordon

JackDesBwa|3D

In the meantime, I'll be attempting in-game cha-chas like Roger. Anyone have other 3D capture methods? It's too bad that Oculus Mirror Compositor doesn't appear to work with Quest.

Since Quest2 is based on Android, you could possibly use the native recorder of this OS in console through the developer tools.

In this link, they say how to stream video (you need to record the sound separately if you want it) with the USB link, but you could probably switch to wireless or record a file in the headset by adapting the command (see docs of "adb tcpip" & "adb connect" for the first, doc of "screenrecord" for the second). See also the doc of "screencap" for a simple screenshot.

My guess is that the captured surface will be after the shader that compensate for lenses distortions is applied, so that you might need to correct the barrel if you want a classical stereophotograph. A bit of work, but perfectly synced.

JackDesBwa

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 07:26 PM, Gordon Au wrote:
In the meantime, I'll be attempting in-game cha-chas like Roger. Anyone have other 3D capture methods? It's too bad that Oculus Mirror Compositor doesn't appear to work with Quest.
I'm not doing cha-chas, I'm using the Oculus Mirror Compositor with the Quest 2 and OBS. You have to use a Link cable and a VR-capable PC. Right now I'm playing around with 20 feet of USB cable (via an active USB extension cable), so get ready for some whacky captures. I'm hoping to walk completely off the map without dropping into eternal darkness. :)

Right now I'm playing around with 20 feet of USB cable (via an active USB extension cable), so get ready for some whacky captures.
Make that 25 feet, total. just measured it. That should be plenty to get me in or out of trouble. :)

Gordon Au

Jack, thanks for the ADB info! Great for stereovideo, and I just found the info about the ADB screencap function (http://developer.oculus.com/blog/developer-perspective-ue4-logging-and-console-commands-for-mobile-vr/). I think that's what I was looking for.

Roger, if you would share, what settings have you used for converting the mirrored views for stereopairs? Are you just cropping to a rectangle, or applying some lens correction / barrel undistortion? I would be using ADB and not the Mirror Compositor (have Mac only and not a Link cable yet), but it sounds like the captures should be the same.

- Gordon

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 12:10 PM, Gordon Au wrote:
Roger, if you would share, what settings have you used for converting the mirrored views for stereopairs? Are you just cropping to a rectangle, or applying some lens correction / barrel undistortion? I would be using ADB and not the Mirror Compositor (have Mac only and not a Link cable yet), but it sounds like the captures should be the same.
The Oculus Mirror has a rectilinear option, which gets rid of the barrel distortion, and a Crop To Symmetric Fov setting, which gets rid of most of the non-stereo overlap.
My additional tweaks and alignments are done in Vegas Pro.

Gordon Au

Edited

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 03:57 PM, Roger Maddy wrote:
The Oculus Mirror has a rectilinear option
The ADB route does not offer that, which would've been nice, but I've found after some experimentation (for anyone else who needs it): Imagemagick with barrel distortion settings of 0.1, -0.21, -0.4 converts the raw screencaps pretty well.

I got the ADB screencap function working wirelessly on my Oculus Quest 2 after a LOT of troubleshooting. It only works if you save to JPG format [edit: PNG and JPG both work] in the headset directory /sdcard/, it takes 5–10s, and the guardian must NOT be triggered at all. Again, for anyone curious:

TAKING 3D SCREENCAPS WITH OCULUS QUEST

Device setup: turn on Developer Mode
http://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/android/mobile-device-setup/

Install SDK Platform-Tools (just command-line tools are fine)
http://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Connect wirelessly with ADB
http://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/android/mobile-adb/

Screencaps with ADB