Thumnail handling Was:My viewer for 3DTV #software #viewing

John Clement

There might be a way of creating an indicator on the type of file.  When a file type is assigned to open a particular program there used be an indicator of the program.  However this seems to have vanished.  There might be a setting for this, but a cursory look did not find it.  If you assign MPO to open SPM then it used to have a little indicator in lower R corner of the shumbnail.

Examining the registry file that displays thumbnails di not enlighten me as to a fix.

Two workarounds could be done.

1. Put something in the file name or title that indicates what it is.  But DO NO diddle the title or any other metadata in an MPO unless you have a metadata editor that understands the MPO format.  Diddling the metadata using Explorer will kill the second image, which destroys the 3D.
  2. Hovering over the file in question will tell you the file type JPG or MPO

This is one of the cases where SBS is an advantage because you can see it is 3D.

John M. Clement

From: main@Photo-3d.groups.io <main@Photo-3d.groups.io> On Behalf Of robert mcafee via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 8:07 AM
To: main@Photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] My viewer for 3DTV #software #viewing

Does Linux natively show thumbnails for mpo files, or do you save you images as side by side jpg or some other format.

Windows does not show thumbnails for mpo files. Someone had created an add on or registry modification that does show a thumbnail for an mpo and I have installed this on one of my computers. The problem I have with this is that some of my folders have both a 2D jpg and 3D mpo of the same image (Fuji W3 option to save both) and from just a thumbnail I can't tell which is which.

Bob from Central NY

Peter S

Thank you to all with mpo thumbnail advice.
I'll try one of the methods without registry changes first.

I only need a small jpg 2D picture as a thumbnail.

Cheers.....Peter

Depthcam

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:39 PM, Peter S wrote:
I only need a small jpg 2D picture as a thumbnail.

Well, that's exactly what Don Munsil's MPO registry hack does.  I have been using it for ten years and it has worked flawlessly.  I remember telling David Starkman about it and he too was a scaredy cat about it... until he actually tried it.  He's been using it ever since.

Also, if that can reassure you, Don Munsil works at Microsoft.

Francois

robert mcafee

I have also modified the registry to show mpo thumbnails on a Win 7 computer without any issues. 

Again I recommend creating a registry back up before making any registry changes. Capability for this is within Windows already. Keep a copy on an external drive (USB drive for example). If you mis-type a registry edit and then have a problem you can restore from the backup copy of the registry.  

I also routinely make an image of my entire HDD using Acronis TrueImage (there are other programs). If you delete some important files you can restore individual files from the Acronis image. If you get some malware, virus or operating system update causes an issue you can replace the entire drive contents with the image (formerly saved to an external drive) and everything will be as it was. No need to reinstall Windows and updates and all your programs. 

jetozour

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack also works to supply thumbnails for mpo and many other file types. I have used it for many years.

https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Jim Tozour

robert mcafee

Seems interesting and on sale 1/2 price at $9.99. 

Now any advice on an EXIF editor that works with mpo files without messing them up?  John Clement cautions modification of mpo exif data can result in loss of one of image pair

gl

On 15/01/2021 15:57, jetozour wrote:
FastPictureViewer Codec Pack also works to supply thumbnails for mpo and many other file types. I have used it for many years.
https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

The free alternatives I use:

Download SageThumbs from SourceForge.net
(may want to disable PNG for Win10, not confirmed but mine is)

videos: Icaros (based on ffmpeg, decodes everything, you can add any missing file types in the settings)
Icaros 3.1.0 / 3.2.0 Beta 1 Free Download - VideoHelp
--
gl