Stereoscopic 3D game photography enthusiasts? #videogames

Nima

I was wondering if anyone else here is a game photography enthusiast who captures 3D images in games?  Of course a lot of Nintendo 3DS software had 3D photo export options(though they came out the same resolution as the display, which was suboptimal) but my favorite experiences in the past were using Tridef 3D to do single button captures of 3D photos in games.  I ended up spending a lot of my time playing Final Fantasy 14 role-playing as a photographer in Eorzea, running around and taking the most breath-taking 3D photos I could.

lMy process involves using a game that expressly has a photo mode(those that don't make it near-impossible to get clean shots that don't need additional editing after the fact), taking a series of lateral photos in a row, and then stitching them together in i3DSteroid and seeing which disparity looks the best.  Then I export the SBS so I can post it to LeiaPix, or make a Lightfield animation out of it.

Here's a 3D photo from Spider-Man: Miles Morales on the PlayStation 5.

Parallel View:

Crosseye View:

I was wondering if anyone else here is a game photography enthusiast
who captures 3D images in games?
That's something that did not even occur to me, but it certain makes a
lot of sense, especially given all the effort that goes into the
artwork for some of these games. On my long list of things to do some
day is spend some time capturing some 3D stills from some of my
favorite 3D movies. Thanks for sharing your captured image.

...BC

Bill G

Damn, that has some serious potential, what an interesting premise.  I am not a gamer, but like previously mentioned, when you consider the cost involved in getting this animation scenes accurate, I bet there would be some amazing captures!  Of course, even more so with 3d movies!
Bill

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 2:53 AM Nima <contactnimaz@...> wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else here is a game photography enthusiast who captures 3D images in games?  Of course a lot of Nintendo 3DS software had 3D photo export options(though they came out the same resolution as the display, which was suboptimal) but my favorite experiences in the past were using Tridef 3D to do single button captures of 3D photos in games.  I ended up spending a lot of my time playing Final Fantasy 14 role-playing as a photographer in Eorzea, running around and taking the most breath-taking 3D photos I could.

lMy process involves using a game that expressly has a photo mode(those that don't make it near-impossible to get clean shots that don't need additional editing after the fact), taking a series of lateral photos in a row, and then stitching them together in i3DSteroid and seeing which disparity looks the best.  Then I export the SBS so I can post it to LeiaPix, or make a Lightfield animation out of it.

Parallel View:

Crosseye View:

Attachments:

Depthcam

There was a guy on Phereo that often posted sets of stereo pairs shot within video games.

Francois

Pierre MEINDRE

I've downloaded 12 images extracted from the game Metro Exodus by "Froggerdog".
They are 3D-360° and viewed in my Oculus Quest they are nothing less than astonishing!

Post on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/as015i/metro_exodus_360_stereo3d_screenshot_album/

Dropbow where are the images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/adis34iyyqzxmlb/AAAkHs5O46RhN_OsGlUkG7j8a?dl=0

Pierre.

----- Mail original -----
De: "Depthcam via groups.io" <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io>
À: main@Photo-3d.groups.io
Envoyé: Mardi 24 Novembre 2020 18:19:09
Objet: Re: [Photo-3d] Stereoscopic 3D game photography enthusiasts? #videogames

There was a guy on Phereo that often posted sets of stereo pairs shot within video games.

Francois

JackDesBwa|3D

Several people published such captures in Phereo.
They are still there, and you can find a lot of them with the tag 'game' (using PhereoRoll3D or an old browser).

You did not move your camera perpendicular to the direction of shooting, and the alignment software did not correct the induced deformation, so that there are severe misaligned (and thus deformed) parts in your image (the head, left foot and left hand).
I attached a corrected one, using STMANI3, although I forced some minor misalignment to not crop too much of the image. I also tried to align with 3De, but the deformation is far too large for its algorithm.

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 24/11/2020 à 19:00, Stereopix Net a écrit :
I also tried to align with 3De, but the deformation is far too large for its algorithm.

Excellent !

In fact not. The problem isn't that the deformation is too large. It's because 3De is paying to much attention to the surrounding background, and align on it rather than Spider-Man.

But, with 3De, you can do something quite magic :

1) combine 2 crops and a first manual horizontal shift to isolate the subject

2) auto-align on the cropped result

3) remove the crops

Here is the cropped view, attached is the final uncropped SBS render :

Depthcam

Here are some of the better albums on Phereo:

http://phereo.com/image/4f2d708a378501940800003d

http://phereo.com/59f29f1a888428ab27000000

http://phereo.com/album/50ff004ca3e0671676000000

Just a warning that several of these have extreme parallax !

Francois

Depthcam

Ooops !  That first link should have been this:

http://phereo.com/album/4f2af8aa378501d814000024

Francois

JackDesBwa|3D

But, with 3De, you can do something quite magic [...]

It is a big cheat in terms of geometry, but it works quite well.

JackDesBwa

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 24/11/2020 à 22:10, Stereopix Net a écrit :

Not sure to understand what is supposed to be a cheat in your sentence (I see several understanding possibilities). You mean that manually cropping is a cheat to align? It's not a cheat. If you ask the software to align the whole image, it aligns the whole image. But, in fact, it's not what you really want. What you want is to align Spider-Man, so, you need to tell it in some way. Cropping is one way.

;-)

JackDesBwa|3D

Not sure to understand what is supposed to be a cheat in your sentence (I see several understanding possibilities). You mean that manually cropping is a cheat to align? It's not a cheat. If you ask the software to align the whole image, it aligns the whole image. But, in fact, it's not what you really want. What you want is to align Spider-Man, so, you need to tell it in some way. Cropping is one way.

;-)

I misunderstood your procedure: I do not know why, I thought that you pasted the cropped version onto the original and that the merge worked surprisingly well. The cheat I talked about was on this wrong understanding that there were different projections depending on the part of the image. If I looked at it in stereo, I would have seen that I was wrong.

By reading again, I understand that you aligned the whole image considering only the data in your (temporary) crop area. The whole image having the same projection everywhere, computing it with a subpart could be valid, but the problem becomes a bit more ill-conditioned, therefore the possibility to get an acceptable alignment in the considered zone while having large errors in the rest of the image get higher. It is typically what you get here in your image: the subject is nice, but the background has large vertical disparities for example. I think that having less errors on the subject is better than the original. Having less error everywhere like I submitted is of course even better, however it requires less common projections due to the unusual relative position of the cameras having probably one closer to the subject in particular.

JackDesBwa

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 25/11/2020 à 10:57, Stereopix Net a écrit :
By reading again, I understand that you aligned the whole image considering only the data in your (temporary) crop area.
Yes.

The whole image having the same projection everywhere, computing it with a subpart could be valid, but the problem becomes a bit more ill-conditioned, therefore the possibility to get an acceptable alignment in the considered zone while having large errors in the rest of the image get higher. It is typically what you get here in your image: the subject is nice, but the background has large vertical disparities for example. I think that having less errors on the subject is better than the original. Having less error everywhere like I submitted is of course even better, however it requires less common projections due to the unusual relative position of the cameras having probably one closer to the subject in particular.
I think I can get the foreground/subject balancing you tell, by applying a transparency factor on the crop mask, rather than having it fully black. I will look to add this capability in 3De...

:D

JackDesBwa|3D

I think I can get the foreground/subject balancing you tell, by applying
a transparency factor on the crop mask, rather than having it fully
black. I will look to add this capability in 3De...

The good balancing in the image I submitted is there because STMANI3 found a good homography pair (even if I biased it) to apply to the entire images.

Independently, applying a fuzzy mask could be an interesting feature in 3De (and applying a custom-image/video mask could be interesting too by the way).

JackDesBwa

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 25/11/2020 à 11:42, Stereopix Net a écrit :
Independently, applying a fuzzy mask could be an interesting feature in 3De (and applying a custom-image/video mask could be interesting too by the way).
You can do that putting an image of that mask in a timeline above your image.

;-)

Etienne Monneret (Perso)

Le 25/11/2020 à 11:42, Stereopix Net a écrit :
Just a short play with the mask... having now a transparency parameter.

:D

Gordon Au

Nice shots in those Phereo albums! Thanks for sharing.

This IG account hasn't been active recently, but has some neat stereopair captures: http://www.instagram.com/stereoscopic_games/

Maybe a question for another thread, but have any Oculus Quest users had success with 3D screenshots?