Flash delay for Sony a5100 and other rigs #sony3drigs

timo@guildwood.net

I have spent some time on line with Mark McAndrew over a number of months, and am happy to report the amazing success of Mark’s flash delay circuit. I am now using it regularly with my Sony a5100 rig, without failure.

My rig now has a new grip, which houses the latest low voltage circuit, a hot flash shoe and a tactile two stage shutter switch. It’s a dream to use.

This circuit is based on a circuit designed for an M-Sych film camera bulb flash. There is a delay on those shutters to allow the bulb to come up to full brightness. A similar flash delay lets the Sony a5100 shutters to open fully before triggering the flash. Mark did yeoman’s work to solve a number of problems with the original circuit. There are variations for high voltage and low voltage flashes and much more.

This circuit is brilliant for the Sony a5100 cameras, but could also be adapted to other rigs or shutter releases (like the one George is touting). It is not a simple thing. You have to build the circuit, and also program the ATtiny using the Arduino programming app.

You can find the very detailed circuit building and programming directions, and a description of the process of development, written by Mark, on my website on this page.

http://www.stereocamera.ca/CircuitBuilding.html

Timo

You can find the very detailed circuit building and programming
directions, and a description of the process of development, written
by Mark, on my website on this page.
http://www.stereocamera.ca/CircuitBuilding.html
This is both remarkable accomplishment and an invaluable resource.
Thanks so much for the summary of the project and sharing the hard won
lessons.

I can't believe all the time and effort he put into this.

What can I say ?

Mark is a genius !!! :-)

Francois

timo@guildwood.net

He was very thorough, and I am happy for his work. My first version was nothing but trouble. There were too many ways for the circuit to fail. Now it is very reliable, and thus, satisfying.

Timo