ALA Adapter / Focusing Aid for Panasonic Lumix 3d Lens #macro

Chuck

Edited

I’m listing this today on the Sell3d forum. Pricing will be provided there. I sold several over the last couple of years, but never really advertised it for sale. Since then I’ve been able reduce the price along with incorporating a better aid for focusing distance. Considering that it can be used to attach other threaded accessory lenses such as filters besides close-up/macro lenses and it has a focus distance aid, I’ll refer to it as an Accessory Lens Adapter (ALA) / Focusing Aid.

A focusing aid is important because as you start using higher magnification with close-up lenses or via modifying the lens with washers, the focus distance gets more and more critical. I found that the sharpest in-focus range with a +5 close-up lens is within about +/- 0.5”, and with a +10 it is only +/- .25”! Considering various methods, I settled on incorporating a telescoping antenna. Thanks to Francois for prompting me towards that direction, and I understand that Oktay uses a similar solution for his macro lens.

The antenna extends out to 12” and collapses down to 3.5”. When the antenna is extended out perpendicular to the camera, only the very tip of the antenna peeks into the bottom of photos, and if you tilt it just 5 degrees downward, it’s totally out of the image frame. The antenna pivots and rotates, so when not in use, it can be pivoted out of the way up against the camera body to the left or right side, or any other direction. I carry a tiny tape measure with me to set appropriate extension distances. Lots of tiny ones with both inches and/or centimeters are available on Amazon1 and eBay.

The adapter is contoured to fit the Lumix 3D lens and pushes snugly onto it. It is retained with a strong friction fit from built-in rubber grips. It has a 52mm thread which is a commonly available size. Accessory lenses of sizes other than 52mm can be adapted to it using low cost adapter rings.2

Using the Lumix 3D lens with spacers is another great way to go, and this ALA can be used with that to utilize its extendable focusing aid. It then also provides the option to increase the magnification of a washer modified lens by adding a close-up lens as well, or a filter can be utilized with it.

I use a +5 Kenko Achromat (currently $19.90 on Amazon3), and a +10 Opteka Achromat (currently $24.95 on Amazon4), as well as Vivitar single element close-up lenses ($9.99 for set on Amazon that includes: +1, +2, +4, & +10). The Opteka has a 58mm thread but comes with a 58 to 52mm adapter ring. My Kenko has a 49mm thread, so I use a 49 to 52 adapter ring5 with it. Per tests that I posted earlier this week, the achromatic lenses are superior to the single element lenses like the Vivitar’s, but I still find the smaller diopter Vivitar’s very useful.

If preferred, the antenna can be easily removed. As an alternative focus aid method, pre-cut rods can be used. The bottom of the antenna socket has a smaller 1/8” socket to accommodate pre-cut rods. They can be made using 1/8” wood dowels which are easily cut to desired focusing lengths with an X-Acto or razor blade.

See photos below. - Chuck

Reference Links:

1) Amazon - Mini Tape Measure  Another...

2) Amazon - Adapter Rings

3) Amazon - Kenko Achromatic +5 Close-up Lens     (with 58mm to 52mm adapter)

4) Amazon - Opteka Achromatic +10 Close-up Lens (49mm)

5) 49mm to 52mm step-up ring

Below: On camera with antenna collapsed and folded in (you can fold it in any direction)

Below: Antenna Positioned Outward, Collapsed

Below: Antenna Partially Extended (10.5" length, 12" from sensor)

Depthcam

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM, Chuck wrote:
Thanks to Francois for prompting me towards that direction, and I understand that Oktay uses a similar solution for his macro lens.

Yes, Oktay uses a similar approach on his macro lens, but I only found out about it after I had thought of a similar idea and found a small antenna on eBay.  When I discussed it with Chuck and showed him the eBay link, we both ordered one to check it out but for some unknown reason, his order was cancelled while mine was not.  The antenna I had found is for cellphones and has a 3.5mm angle plug which would have fit nicely on such an adapter.  In the meantime, Chuck found another model which is multi-directional.  The one thing I liked about mine was that it was easy to mount and dismount.  I'll be curious to see how the current one is mounted.

Anyway, great to see the version with antenna is finally completed !

Francois

Ronald Schalekamp <info@...>

Where to acquire these?

Check sell-3d for the listing.  https://groups.io/g/sell-3d  -Linda

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:20 PM Ronald Schalekamp <info@...> wrote:
Where to acquire these?

Ronald Schalekamp <info@...>

I did Linda, and its the same story there, without info where to get them. And Chuck cant be contacted directly also. Hence, the question.

Depthcam

Funny that Chuck completely forgot to put any contact information.

Simplest way to contact him is via his website.  The item isn't listed there yet but that's his site...

https://3d-2.com/contact/

Francois

If you reply to an email message from sell-3d, it should automatically reply to him individually due to the sell-3d settings. If it does not, due to the vagaries of individuals' email systems, there is also a "reply to sender" link at the bottom of each message. (Photo-3d should default to "reply to group"; sell-3d to "reply to sender", as in the past.)

If you are replying on a group website, just reply, then look near the bottom for the word "Private" , that will send an offlist message.

Hope this helps. Linda

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:49 PM Ronald Schalekamp <info@...> wrote:
I did Linda, and its the same story there, without info where to get them. And Chuck cant be contacted directly also. Hence, the question.

Oktay

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:42 PM, Chuck wrote:

""Thanks to Francois for prompting me towards that direction, and I understand that Oktay uses a similar solution for his macro lens"".

To give an idea about how my pointer works I am attaching three photos.

Check the two files ,pointer 1 and pointer 2.
See the adjustable arrow that points to some dots. The two photos show the arrow pointing to different dots which indicate  two different inclinations.

Photo named  pointer with marks.
No need to carry a tiny tape measure to set the distance.
The pointer has nail polish marks of different colors to match several magnification ratios.

Oktay

Depthcam

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:55 AM, akdens2 wrote:
No need to carry a tiny tape measure to set the distance.
The pointer has nail polish marks of different colors to match several magnification ratios.

When Chuck and I were discussing the antenna option, we did bring up the possibility of putting indentations in the antenna to show distances.  However the problem is these would change depending on whether washers were used with the lens or not and which close-up lenses were used.  Therefore it is left to the buyers to do their own experimenting and make the markings that match their own set-up.

Francois