Topics

YouTube 3D viewing on Android Tablet

John Clement

Chrome on the Freevi/Flightdeck/Commander tablet displays YouTube 3D properly.  There are 2 conditions.

  1. The 3D video must be formatted according to YouTube standards which means it must have the 3D tag set.
  2. It works only in full screen.

The video is fuzzy, so I suspect it is only displaying standard resolution, not HD.  I could not bring up the Chrome options to put it into HD.  Chrome simply would not display the “gear” for selecting options.  In windowed mode a 3D video is displayed as just a raw SBS frame, which means that anamorphic 3D will have squished pictures.  Both Magix Movie Edit Pro and PowerDirector automatically produce 3D MP4 videos with the necessary tag.  You have to specify 3D output of course.

Curiouser and churioser.  I have 2 FlightDeck tablets.  Both have identical old versions of chrome 42.0…  One is completely American, while the other has some folders with “Chinese” characters.  The American one works with YouTube, but the other one does not!  On my Rokit Pro 3D the version of Chrome is 84.0…  Perhaps others can dig  into this to see what they have?  The “Chinese” version has the standard adjustments in Chrome for resolution.  Neither is upgradeable.  Both tablets have the same menus and come up with the same FlightDeck logo.  It is only when looking at folders that I came across the Chinese characters.  I assume they are Chinese, but Japanese characters according to a Chinese friend are almost the same but simplified.

Now can the Chrome developers be convinced to support other glasses free phone/tablet displays.  The vast majority are now lenticular, so the code already exists, and there is no requirement to turn on a barrier.  FlightDeck has both vertical and horizontal barriers that Chrome automatically turns on.  I did not test the barriers in portrait mode.  Go figure!  Just a simple option to format full screen for 3D would be OK.  My videos are always parallel view and work perfectly without any fiddling on FlightDeck.

I tried viewing the same video on my Rokit Pro with Chrome.  It came up SBS anamorphic, unlike my Windows browsers which automatically produced anaglyph.  With a lot of fiddling with the built in Rokit 3D display option I was able to coerce it into correct display.  However it was a battle.  I first had to select full screen in Chrome, and then HD resolution.  However along the way I tried various adjustments and some combinations moved the play/pause buttons into different locations which made using them impossible.  I think the correct sequence is play, then use the Rokit 3D display option.

Here is a sample of one of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UdQLfy5NR4

So it is possible to view 3D formatted YouTube videos on FlightDeck, as long as they have the YouTube tag.  I is possible to view all 3D videos on Rokit 3D, but it may require a lot of fiddling.  If someone could come up with an Android app to properly format 3D for any lenticular screen, we might be a lot happier.  However, this may require a rooted phone, UGH!

I could do it, but it would require more digging into Android than I wish to pursue.  I now confine my programming to other types of things such as VirtualDub plugins.

No wonder with this sort of geeky incompatibility that 3D could not make it.  You have to be both a Geek and a 3D fanatic!

John M. Clement

Depthcam

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM, John Clement wrote:
I is possible to view all 3D videos on Rokit 3D, but it may require a lot of fiddling

No fiddling.  All you need to do is activate 3D services and any SBS or O/U clip will play in 3D directly in the YouTube app when you activate the 3D icon from the left tab.

After upgrade of Android OS either the 3DServices app is removed or no longer functions (I believe the latter). Rokit pushed a new app to fix the issue - 3DFV.

Since Rokit OS update was automatic if connected to wireless likey everyone needs to use the 3DFV app.  Open app and slide button to turn on

dinoDDD

This may be helpful:
How to tell written Chinese, Japanese and Korean apart
https://www.lingualift.com/blog/tell-chinese-japanese-korean-apart/

Depthcam

> This may be helpful:
> How to tell written Chinese, Japanese and Korean apart

I suspect you meant to post this here:

https://photo-3d.groups.io/g/main/topic/virtual_3d_club_gatherings/76307815

Francois

David Tiede

I'm having difficulty installing YouTube on my Freevi tablets.  There was already a YouTube app installed, but it says there is a new version.  When I try to install from the Play Store, the process just leads me back to the original "A new version of YouTube is available. Install it now from Google Play."  Any suggestions?

Depthcam

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 09:38 PM, David Tiede wrote:
I'm having difficulty installing YouTube on my Freevi tablets
I think the newer versions of the YouTube app require a more recent Android  OS than is installed on the Freevi.

Francois

I had the same problem recently on my Freevi. Quite possibly there is indeed a new YT version but it is not compatible with the older Android 4 OS? Maybe you could find a compatible YT version online as an apk file?

In general I think that youtube apps do not work anyway (i.e. will not play back 3D videos in native 3D) on most 3D tablets and phones, so I just gave up on the Freevi YT app upgrade. But at least one 3D phone is an exception, as the Rokit phone (IO Pro anyway) ,will indeed allow 3D youtube app viewing.

per Alison Scott who posted on the 3D-con FB page: "I used the youtube app, viewed the sbs version of the YT theater presentation, and the swipe-out tab on the left of the screen (held horizontally) gave me an option to 'select the right video format' which was 'half'."

I myself was pleased to find that I could indeed play back the sbs half width youtube videos in native 3D on the Rokit simply by swiping from the left to see the 2D/3D button and pressing on it to get 3D. I could not find the "select the right video format" choice, so even full width paired videos such as one version of the ISU 2021 video, played as if the device thought they were half width; i.e. images displayed as 3D but stretched horizontally. But since sbs half width is a pretty standard format, I can live with that.

Anyone else able to display the "3D TV" versions of the 3D-con archived videos on a 3D tablet/phone in native 3D? Linda

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 9:38 PM David Tiede <tiede3d@...> wrote:
I'm having difficulty installing YouTube on my Freevi tablets.  There was already a YouTube app installed, but it says there is a new version.  When I try to install from the Play Store, the process just leads me back to the original "A new version of YouTube is available. Install it now from Google Play."  Any suggestions?

Fabbian Dufoe

You man also find that you need to update Google Play before you can successfully update the YouTube app.  I have encountered this problem a number of times.
--
Fabbian Dufoe
Fuji W3

robert mcafee

I have the same issue for more than 1 year. I believe the older version is no longer supported by Yahoo and newer version is not compatible with this old version (4?) of Android

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 10:38:40 PM EDT, David Tiede <tiede3d@...> wrote:

I'm having difficulty installing YouTube on my Freevi tablets.  There was already a YouTube app installed, but it says there is a new version.  When I try to install from the Play Store, the process just leads me back to the original "A new version of YouTube is available. Install it now from Google Play."  Any suggestions?

KenK

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 10:25 PM, Linda N wrote:
Anyone else able to display the "3D TV" versions of the 3D-con archived videos on a 3D tablet/phone in native 3D? Linda
The Elephone P11 displays the SBS 3D-Con YouTube videos in 3D.

I sent myself the youtube link, clicked on it, the display opens with a SBS video playing and a small box with "2D" in it.
Click the box to change it to "3D" and the video plays in 3D.

KenK