Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

The recent  3D-con 2020 in virtual mode was a great success, IMO, even without the in-person hands-on component that we miss so much. (And hope to resume in 2021 in New Mexico, if possible). Much of the archived material from this year is available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzG_86_r4drw4k64ROenDgg

I am aware that several 3D clubs including LA3D and NYSA are having virtual meetings and seem to be making those open to the public. If leadership of these and hopefully other 3D clubs would welcome participation from non-local 3D folks, please consider posting invitations here on photo-3d. Time zones are often a challenge, but it would be a rare opportunity for many of us to connect with international clubs and their members during this time. Thanks. Linda N

Jay Kusnetz

Golden Gate Stereoscopic Society has open meetings, next one is Monday. I am trying to keep a calendar listing of all the meetings worldwide. Right now this is being done manually, so if your meeting is not listed or is inaccurate, please let me know. And if anyone knows of a free or inexpensive wordpress plug in that can aggregate (not overlay) google calendar feeds, please let me know.

Wright Carlton

The virtual zoom session for the Sydney Stereo Camera Club occurs at 7PM Australian Eastern Standard Time, on the third Tuesday of each month (not December).  We welcome all visitors online, or indeed in Sydney if travel restrictions end!  Please contact Carlton Wright, the facilitator and President of the club, for an invitation to the zoom session.  His email is crwright2003@...

Berezin Stereo <sbere@...>

LA3d club meets the third Thursday of every month at 7 PM Pacific time.  Anybody can join us.  Simply hit www.la3d.club to join the Zoom meeting.

--
Steve Berezin
President

--
Steve Berezin
Sbere@...

On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Linda N <ljnygren@...> wrote:

The recent  3D-con 2020 in virtual mode was a great success, IMO, even without the in-person hands-on component that we miss so much. (And hope to resume in 2021 in New Mexico, if possible). Much of the archived material from this year is available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzG_86_r4drw4k64ROenDgg

I am aware that several 3D clubs including LA3D and NYSA are having virtual meetings and seem to be making those open to the public. If leadership of these and hopefully other 3D clubs would welcome participation from non-local 3D folks, please consider posting invitations here on photo-3d. Time zones are often a challenge, but it would be a rare opportunity for many of us to connect with international clubs and their members during this time. Thanks. Linda N

John Rupkalvis

International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

John Rupkalvis

An additional consideration.  The dual problems of differing time zones and differing languages are not new.  They both were addressed many years ago by ham radio operators (sometimes called amateur radio operators).  The solution was similar to what I had suggested.  That is, one person or group would make comments and raise questions, and these would be discussed and/or answered in a later transmission, in the often translated language of the intended receiving person(s), who then would continue the discussion in a manner not unlike that of email threads today.  We could do something similar now, with the added advantage of being able to transmit (stream) stereoscopic images and/or videos as well.  Correctly designed and planned out, this could be made convenient for virtual communications just about anywhere in the world.  And now, bandwidth considerations can be alleviated with modern codecs, which considering the time delay, can be lossy without severe audible or visual degradation, since time delay means packet transmission/reception becomes practical.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM John Rupkalvis via groups.io <stereoscope3d=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

robert mcafee

I believe Skype and some translator apps are supposed to work in (near) real time to translate audio.

Anyone tried this?

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:52:42 AM EDT, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:

International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

John Rupkalvis

If all languages were absolute, real time translations would actually work.  In the real world, however, most languages have different meanings depending upon the context.  The same word may mean several different things depending upon how it is used, including other words used in the same sentence or paragraph or entire text.  Direct, literal translations must be based upon a specific definition for each word, that may or may not apply to the specific application.  It may even indicate the opposite of the meaning intended. I have seen some "machine translations" that were absolutely hilarious as to how they read out as compared to the original writer's intent.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture