Need help with screen resolution settings on Sony Experia XZ #viewing #android

Paul Gillis

(I considered posting this question in the "4K phone stereoscope" thread, but thought it had been dormant too long.)

I finally received my viewer from Matej, 7 weeks after he mailed it.  I must say, it's a beauty!  He did a wonderful job on the design & manufacturing, and got some really nice lenses from Hugo deWijs.

I bought a Sony Experia XZ Premium phone, which the viewer is specifically designed for.  It has a very high resolution screen, but its Android operating system is set up to only use full resolution for a few specific apps.  Matej published instructions to change this setting, so that the phone would display full resolution at all times.  But they did not work for me.  Apparently the change needs to be made through a program on a computer connected to the phone.  I think my problem is that I need to use a Windows computer (all I have) while Matej tells me he has only done this procedure using Linux.

Can anyone help me do this, in particular someone who has been successful using a Windows computer to do it?

--Paul Gillis

Bill G

Paul... I got my Sony XZ premium to convert full time to 4K.
When its accomplished successfully, you will see on phone boot up, the the Sony square move up to left top corner.   Interestingly enough, when I was displaying pix before I did the fix, it was displaying in 4K.
Now, the sad news...
I followed Matej instructions, but it did not work, so like everyone, we hit Google... I downloaded so many Android to PC programs to accomplish this task, and it took me a good 5 hrs of experimenting before it finally worked (on phone boot up)... to get it too work, as always, it was nothing but Syntax issues, like most programming... I will re check to see if I ever saved any of the info...
Bill

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:16 PM Paul Gillis <pgillis@...> wrote:
[...]

Remarkably, I found my notes.... try this.... cant remember how thorough my notes are... I think some of the android programs needed to be downloaded, but not possitive...fingers crossed it works for you and others....

With usb cable connected phone to PC...

On PC, got to cmd prompt
at cmd prompt type > adb devices
phone ID num should appear

then type > abd shell
a new prompt should appear now, you can enter commands.

type wm size 2160x3840 press enter
the change should be visible immediately on the phone screen)

type wm density 820 on the command line, press enter (This is from Matej, but I dont think this step is required, but I did it anyway)
  1. (the change should be visible immediately on the phone screen)

You are done - phone should stay in full 4K rez

To switch the phone back to FullHD, use wm size 1080x1920 and wm density 410

location of my adb file
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\abd.exe

[...]

Thank you so much for the advice.  I finally managed to get my phone display switched to high resolution.

Telling me where to actually find my adb.exe file was a great help.  (I had previously installed Android Studio, which Matej said would include adb.exe.)  Calling up a command prompt from Start>Run, I couldn't get it to recognize adb as an executable program.  But when I Shift+Right-clicked in the folder you mentioned & selected "Open PowerShell window here" it would run adb.  (For some reason, it told me I had to type the command as ".\adb shell")  Then I had to get adb to recognize the phone; after many trips into the phone's own Settings menu to "Allow USB Debugging", adb finally identified the phone.  Then I just typed the 2 commands you listed, and it was all done.  (Except that Windows didn't want to eject the phone when I asked it to; I had to use Task Manager to shut down adb before Windows allowed me to disconnect.)

--Paul Gillis

bglick97 wrote:

location of my adb file
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\abd.exe

Matej Bohac

Paul, I am glad you finally managed to get it working. Thanks Bill for help!

If you had any idea how to change the wording of the instructions just let me know, please. I got the hints for the Windows system from Andy Modla, it does mention that the path to the tool needs to be set in the Windows system. But this can be possibly described more accurately.

http://klub.stereofotograf.eu/xz_premium_to_4K.php

Thank you,

Matěj

bglick97 wrote:
location of my adb file
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\abd.exe

Bill G

Paul, so glad you fought through it and got your Sony locked on 4K.
Hopefully you can document what you did while its fresh in your mind for the benefit of the others who will go through this shortly, as it is quite frustrating.
I tried to document it, but did mine over a few day period and started to forget of the 50 steps I tried, which ones yielded fruit ;)   As always, its often something VERY simple, such as finding a file, or using EXACT syntax while in cmd prompt mode.   Maybe Matej web page is the best place to store this info.   Now, we await your comments of the viewer!
Bill G

bglick97 wrote:

location of my adb file
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools\abd.exe

Wright Carlton

Hi I have created my own wheatstone viewer with two Sony xpedia xz phones (thanks for the earlier thread ...works beautifully ...effectively 8K screen 3dusing Gallery in Sony).  However I need to lock the Sony's to 4k for other video apk but no luck so far.  Followed instructions for Developer Mode on the phone (although it says File Transfer not File Transfer (MTP)).  Then with the adb using Windows 7 on my PC with the prompt adb devices it does not return with any found devices described.  I guess as a result irt will not accept wm size 2160x3840 as a valid request.  Any thoughts?

Carlton

John Hart

Hi Carlton,
How are you going to sync video play with two phones?  If this can be done I might be tempted........
John

Bill G

Congrats on your 4K Wheatstone, we would love pix and your feedback!  I locked my Sony phone in 4k as follows... these are very finiky commands, so be careful, a few others tried it, and my instructions did work...  hope it works for you....

cant remember how thorough my notes are... I think some of the android programs needed to be downloaded, but not positive...  several different android > PC programs, it might work without... maybe if someone ever perfects these details, it should be posted here for everyones benefit, as it can take many hours figuring out how to lock these phones in 4K.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 2:45 AM Wright Carlton via groups.io <crwright2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi I have created my own wheatstone viewer with two Sony xpedia xz phones (thanks for the earlier thread ...works beautifully ...effectively 8K screen 3dusing Gallery in Sony).  However I need to lock the Sony's to 4k for other video apk but no luck so far.  Followed instructions for Developer Mode on the phone (although it says File Transfer not File Transfer (MTP)).  Then with the adb using Windows 7 on my PC with the prompt adb devices it does not return with any found devices described.  I guess as a result irt will not accept wm size 2160x3840 as a valid request.  Any thoughts?

Carlton

Wright Carlton

Thanks for the instructions but they were the same as I tried.  My problem lies I think is the Sony device not being recognised afterfrom the prompt 'abd devices'  ... just a blank line and not  'phone ID num should appear'.  Also as I understand the 'abd shell' is only required for Windows 10 (I am using Windows 7) ...nonetheless I did try with the statement and it is not recognised.

As for synchronous video playing, well that is the nub.  The long story is that using Sony Galley provides great 8k view, but I need to swipe the image forward manually on each phone.  This is because the slide show seems to have no settings I can control for speed or disolve.  So it has a random transition incluing zoom and pans, toataaly unuseable.  So I created a 4k each side video to play on their Video App (using PrShow).  This AVI is not recognised by the Sony applicaton unless it is converted first during transfer from PC to phone.  Of course then when I play it the resolution is back to 1920x1080 even though this was all done within the Sony Video app.  It will play with VLC for Android, but this is when the phone itself will not play it at the native 2160x3840.  SO AT EVERY STAGE A CHALLENGE IS SET UP!  If I can play it at 4K that will be great, even for synch.  As VLC on its display has a temporarary time elapsed.  so I can take both back to 0.00 and as long as I press play on each screen at the same time it plays pretty wekk with slide transition.  Of course a real video will need much better synch, so if anyone has an answer I'd love to know that as well.  Here is a photo of my initial construction. Note I have simply used a 3.0 set of spectacles to view through.  For me I also wear some 2.0 spectacles to get spot on focus (I a need to wear reading glasses norally).  Using spectacles allows me to have a wide enough FOV.

Inline image

Thanks,

Carlton

On Saturday, October 3, 2020, 12:06:45 AM GMT+10, <bglick97@...> wrote:

[...]

I think win 7 is throwing a big wrinkle in the process....
I am sure you googled it as best u can, sure hope you can resolve it...
so how is the view?   You are getting a glimpse of what we are all shooting for in an off-the-shelf product?  What other viewers would you compare this to?  MF film?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM Wright Carlton via groups.io <crwright2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I have a Co van Ekeren 35mm Drum Roll viewer which is great and a wow factor.  So I can compare it to that, though this Sony Xpedia is a much wide FOV.  So I think you are right that a medium format would be even a better comparison, but I have not seen this type of viewer myself.

Carlton