Topics

Oh the irony... #macOS #mpo

So here is a little tale that sounds like an O. Henry story come to life.

I found on the Apple Store for the Mac an program that sounded
interesting:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photostatistica/id1515350929?ls=1

I like the idea of being able to visualize EXIF data across large
libraries. Of course the first thing I wondered if this app would
recognize MPO files. Not finding that format explicitly listed, I
sent an email to the developer if it was.

The developer wrote back, wanting more information about MPO files and
asking for a sample. So I sent a sample image straight from the W3 as
well as the CIPA specification.

Today I got an email from the developer:

We released PhotoStatistica v1.2 today, and I wanted to let you know
that it correctly imported the MPO file sample you sent us.
Hot damn! So I sent to the Apple Store, clicked the buy button and...

We could not complete your purchase.
PhotoStatistica can’t be installed on “Mink” because macOS
version 10.15 or later is required.

Argh!!!

Right now I'm stuck on 10.14 of macOS (Mojave) because of Wine and
SPM. In latest version of macOS, 10.15 (Catalina), 16-bit apps will
no longer run. I have not had a chance to do any testing to see if I
will still be able to run Wine/SPM in Catalina.

If anybody is running Wine/SPM in 10.15 macOS -- please let me
know!

It is just so sad and ironic that I influenced a developer to add a
feature to support a digital 3D format, and I can't use it.

...BC

turbguy

Why just part with the $90 for a used Windoz box, and be done with that hassle?

Wayne

Why just part with the $90 for a used Windoz box, and be done with that hassle?
That's a fair question. As it turns out I have a Windows laptop with
a passive 3D screen and should be using that. But given the decades
of muscle memory working in the Unix command line (macOS is built on
Unix) and the macOS GUI, every time I spend any time on a Windows box,
it is an exercise in frustration. A long time Windows user would feel
the same about trying to use a Mac I'm sure.

But given the direction that Apple appears to be taking the Mac, with
the planned future abandonment of Intel chips, perhaps the time has
come to use Windows and Linux for doing 3D image work. On the bright
side it is now easy to install and use a Unix command line shell
natively on the latest Windows, and quite frankly Windows PowerShell
is pretty damn cool.

...BC

Dan Vint

Windows 10 does support a unix shell that you can use just like powershell. It is a separate installation but once done you are good to go
 I seem to remember there was a choice of distributions as well.