Linux and stereo #linux

Matej Bohac

I was surprised that several people got seriously involved in the Geeqie discussion. For a long time I thought I was the only one in the stereo community using Linux:-)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create some kind of resource (web page) about the possibilities for stereographers on Linux? It seems there might be some experience and knowledge here that can be useful to the others...

I am not a programmer and I am really grateful to anyone who is willing to contribute to open-source projects or share free software! This is greatly appreciated.

Luckily, my brother is a kernel developer and he is kind enough to help me from time to time with various primitive scripts and hacks. For example a script which monitors what geeqie is currently displaying, automatically launching audio or video files during a projection session when I come to a particular photo. I would be happy to share those small things.

Regards,

Matěj

For a long time I thought I was the only one in the stereo community
using Linux:-)
Well I use Linux for my work, on Linux servers. But for a desktop and
laptop I prefer Apple Macs. But the macOS is built on top of BSD Unix
and as such can run many Linux/Unix programs thanks to MacPorts and
Homebrew.

https://www.slant.co/versus/1588/1674/~macports_vs_homebrew

I use both but tend to prefer MacPorts.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create some kind of resource (web
page) about the possibilities for stereographers on Linux? It seems
there might be some experience and knowledge here that can be useful
to the others...
We could do that by using the new hashtag #linux in the subject when
discussing Linux 3D software people are aware of. (I just updated
your original message to include that hashtag.) Of course thanks to
Wine it is possible to also run at least some Windows 3D programs,
like StereoPhoto Maker, under Linux.

Luckily, my brother is a kernel developer...
Ah, a programmer into the dark and mysterious arts. Not your average
hacker to be sure.

I would be happy to share those small things.
Sharing useful knowledge, tips, and code is always welcomed. The
problem is collecting the information, organizing it, finding a place
to make it available, and the really tough one, maintaining it. The
Photo3D list at least has the advantage of having a searchable archive
and the hashtag feature to help organize the information. I think
that would be a fairly pain free way to at least get started.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create some kind of resource (web page)
about the possibilities for stereographers on Linux? It seems there
might be some experience and knowledge here that can be useful to the
others...

I am an exclusive Linux user for more than a decade and half (and amateur stereographer for a few years).
It is true that there were very sparse information for stereo on this system to begin, which on the other hand forced me to deeply understand wat I did.

How do you see this project?
As a collaborative editing, I would suggest to use a system already proven to work for writing software documentation such as ReadTheDocs. This particular service is working with sphinx: the setup is the hardest part. Afterwards, we just edit text files and commit them to a shared repository (for example with git) and the hooks generate the pages and publish on their servers transparently. We can check the result of our changes locally before sending the files of course.

The tools I use for stereo are:
- Geeqie: to preview my pairs (with the split mode, which has sync panes in the current dev version)
- Darktable: to develop the RAWs (not really stereo-centred)
- Hugin: to align the pairs (and match their exposure and their white balance if needed) ; I want to try STMANI as well but I only read half of the manual for the moment
- Inkscape & TheGimp: to post-process (mainly add text and drawings on top of the pairs, for draw stereo windows)
- sView: to display the images or videos (and sometimes quick check/measure them)
- PhereoRoll3D: to explore phereo images, although I do not use it much since the partial blackout of the platform

Tools that I very occasionally use:
- opencv: Library to help to code computer vision programs
- ffmpeg: Library and utility that can help with creating stereoscopic videos (especially in conjunction with ffmpeg-python library which helps to assemble filters in a more readable way)

JackDesBwa

I don't know if you would find it suitable, but this group has wiki capability.
Linda

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 8:26 AM Stereopix Net <contact@...> wrote:
[...]

Group settings are now set so that the wiki is viewable by the public (as are the message archives), and members can edit as well as view the wiki. Linda