unable to find/download video files from Panasonic Lumix dmc-3d1 camera #cameras-issues #3d-cameras

Boris Starosta

I've shot some 3-d video with my Panasonic Lumix 3d camera, but cannot find the files on the SD card.  I don't recall having had this problem in the past, but I also have not used the camera all that much, and my (wet) memory is aging.
I can find and review the videos when the SD card is in the camera, but taking the card out and putting it in my PC, the files are nowhere to be found.  Has anyone experienced this before?
Any help/tips greatly appreciated!

--
––––
Contemporary work in the Stereoscopic Arts:  www.patreon.com/retroformat
––––

George Themelis

If the video is indeed in the SD card, it should be located here:

PRIVATE

AVCHD

BDMV

STREAM

It is a file with .MTS extension.

If it is not there, then there is a possibility that it is recorded in the camera’s internal memory (this will happen if you use the camera without an SD card, it has a bit of internal memory to record a small amount of shots/video). To access the internal memory you need to connect the camera to the computer.

George

Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:55 AM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: [Photo-3d] unable to find/download video files from Panasonic Lumix dmc-3d1 camera #cameras-issues #3d-cameras

I've shot some 3-d video with my Panasonic Lumix 3d camera, but cannot find the files on the SD card.  I don't recall having had this problem in the past, but I also have not used the camera all that much, and my (wet) memory is aging.
I can find and review the videos when the SD card is in the camera, but taking the card out and putting it in my PC, the files are nowhere to be found.  Has anyone experienced this before?

--
––––

––––

Jeff Ewen

there is approximately 70mb of internal memory available for use.  The attached image shows how to transfer this to the card. This is from page 127 of the advanced users guide

Jeff

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 7:45 PM George Themelis <gathemelis@...> wrote:

If the video is indeed in the SD card, it should be located here:

PRIVATE

AVCHD

BDMV

STREAM

If it is not there, then there is a possibility that it is recorded in the camera’s internal memory (this will happen if you use the camera without an SD card, it has a bit of internal memory to record a small amount of shots/video). To access the internal memory you need to connect the camera to the computer.

George

Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:55 AM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: [Photo-3d] unable to find/download video files from Panasonic Lumix dmc-3d1 camera #cameras-issues #3d-cameras

--
––––

––––

Boris Starosta

Thanks for the quick replies thus far.
Video length is over 2 minutes, I'm sure that's several hundred megabytes.  No way that's on the internal memory - but I had wondered about that.  (A specs page for this camera, that I found online, did not mention any onboard memory).
I don't think that I set the video to private.  Also, several stills that I took in the same "session" are found on the card, right where you would expect in the DCIM>102_PANA> directory.
I used the terminal (command line) to look at the SD card (I'm on an iMac running Mac OS).  Here's what I see:

Macs-iMac-7:~ macuser$ cd /Volumes/LUMIX3D

Macs-iMac-7:LUMIX3D macuser$ ls
DCIM PRIVATE
MISC System Volume Information

Macs-iMac-7:LUMIX3D macuser$ cd /PRIVATE

Macs-iMac-7:PRIVATE macuser$ ls
etc tftpboot tmp var

Macs-iMac-7:PRIVATE macuser$ ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@  6 root  wheel   204 Nov 19  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x  31 root  wheel  1122 Jul 17  2019 ..
drwxr-xr-x  88 root  wheel  2992 Mar  9 13:28 etc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    68 Aug  1  2015 tftpboot
drwxrwxrwt   8 root  wheel   272 May  8 04:52 tmp
drwxr-xr-x  24 root  wheel   816 Jan  3  2017 var
Macs-iMac-7:PRIVATE macuser$ 

The "ls" command got me "visible" files and directories, and the "ls -al" command gets me all files and directories.
I don't see any directory or file named AVCHD.  What's odd is that in the OSX finder there is a directory shown "MODELINF" and a 5GB file called AVCHD - but these do not appear in the (presumably more comprehensive) terminal listing.

I also used Terminal to look into the  DCIM>102_PANA> directory, and no dice.

And I just put the card back into the camera, and can play the video just fine.  Actually, there are two videos!
So now I'm totally stumped!

Boris

PS
Next I guess I'll try with a cable from camera to iMac, but I've never done that before.

--
––––
––––

Hi Boris. As George says, videos should be not in the DCIM folder with the stills, but rather in the PRIVATE folder > AVCHD > BDMV>STREAM which is the subfolder where the .MTS video files are stored. It has nothing to do with your setting something to Private, just the weird default setting for video location on the SD card. Do you see these folders when you look at the card with a card reader? If you are unable to see them on an iMAC, do you have access to a Windows computer that you could try it on? Linda

George wrote: If the video is indeed in the SD card, it should be located here:

PRIVATE

AVCHD

BDMV

STREAM

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:08 AM Boris Starosta <boris@...> wrote:
Video length is over 2 minutes, I'm sure that's several hundred megabytes.  No way that's on the internal memory - but I had wondered about that.  (A specs page for this camera, that I found online, did not mention any onboard memory).
I don't think that I set the video to private.  Also, several stills that I took in the same "session" are found on the card, right where you would expect in the DCIM>102_PANA> directory.
I used the terminal (command line) to look at the SD card (I'm on an iMac running Mac OS).  Here's what I see:

DCIM PRIVATE

etc tftpboot tmp var

total 0

The "ls" command got me "visible" files and directories, and the "ls -al" command gets me all files and directories.
I don't see any directory or file named AVCHD.  What's odd is that in the OSX finder there is a directory shown "MODELINF" and a 5GB file called AVCHD - but these do not appear in the (presumably more comprehensive) terminal listing.

And I just put the card back into the camera, and can play the video just fine.  Actually, there are two videos!

Boris

PS
Next I guess I'll try with a cable from camera to iMac, but I've never done that before.

--
––––
––––

Jeff Ewen

If the files have been recorded on the internal memory this can only be retrieved by connecting the camera to a computer using a USB cable AFTER the SD Card has been removed from the camera.

If you connect top the camera with the card inserted you will only see the files on the card

The folder structure on an SD Card is:

[Root]
- [DCIM]
- - [101_PANA]
- - - [Image Files *.jpg/*.mpo]
- [MISC]
- [PRIVATE]
- - [AVCHD]
- - - [ACHHDTN]
- - - - [THUMB Files *.tdt/tid]
- - - [BDMV]
- - - - [CLIPINF]
- - - - - [CPI Files]
- - - - [PLAYLIST]
- - - - - [MPL Files]
- - - - [STREAM]
- - - - - [Video Files *.mts]
- - - [MODELINF]
- - - - [DAT Files]

The same folder structure is used on the internal memory

Jeff

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 8:19 PM Linda N <ljnygren@...> wrote:
Hi Boris. As George says, videos should be not in the DCIM folder with the stills, but rather in the PRIVATE folder > AVCHD > BDMV>STREAM which is the subfolder where the .MTS video files are stored. It has nothing to do with your setting something to Private, just the weird default setting for video location on the SD card. Do you see these folders when you look at the card with a card reader? If you are unable to see them on an iMAC, do you have access to a Windows computer that you could try it on? Linda

PRIVATE

AVCHD

BDMV

STREAM

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:08 AM Boris Starosta <boris@...> wrote:

DCIM PRIVATE

etc tftpboot tmp var

total 0

Boris

PS

--
––––
––––

JackDesBwa|3D

Boris, you added a slash prefix!
I do not know MacOS much, but based on your results, it is likely that there exists a PRIVATE directory in the root of your file system, and you ended in this one instead of the one of the SD card.
Try without this slash.

Also, you can try the command find instead of ls which, without argument, will probably list the directories and files under your current directory.
Based on the answers of others, find /Volumes/LUMIX3D -iname '*.MTS' will probably list the files you search for.

JackDesBwa

robert mcafee

Does AVCHD work on Mac?  Maybe the Mac doesn’t find because it doesn’t recognize this file type?  

On Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:08:49 AM EDT, Boris Starosta <boris@...> wrote:

DCIM PRIVATE

etc tftpboot tmp var

total 0

Boris

PS

--
––––
––––

George Themelis

I am convinced that the files are in the SD card and Boris cannot find them. They are hiding and are not easy to locate, especially on a Mac I guess.

Here is a picture that shows how the directory looks on my windows computer.

There are three folders:
DCIM (the still pictures are here)
MISC
PRIVATE

You have to open the folder labeled PRIVATE

Under this folder you will find:
AVCHD
MODELINF

Open the AVCHD

You will find
AVCHDTN
BDVM

Open BDMV

You will find:
CLIPNF
PLAYLIST
STREAM

If you open STREAM you will see the video files with extension .MTS

Other than the

George

Sent: Friday, May 08, 2020 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] unable to find/download video files from Panasonic Lumix dmc-3d1 camera #cameras-issues #3d-cameras

PRIVATE

AVCHD

BDMV

STREAM

I am convinced that the files are in the SD card and Boris cannot
find them. They are hiding and are not easy to locate, especially
on a Mac I guess.
The card will be formatted in one as FAT32 format. While that is not
the native file format for the Mac, this format is fully supported on
any of the Mac OS-X systems. (ExFAT - A newer file format, supported
in Mac OS X 10.6.5 or later.) So there should be no difference
between the Mac, Windows, or for that matter Linux which also fully
support the FAT family of disk formats.

(NTFS, which is the file format for modern Windows systems is another
matter, but that file format is not used by this camera, nor any camera
I know of.)

...BC

Boris Starosta

Thank you all for your replies!
While it is not in evidence in the Terminal (a unix flavor command line), I do see a "file" named AVCHD in the PRIVATE directory using the MacOS "finder" (i.e. the graphical user interface).  That "file" is over 5GB so it would stand to reason that my videos are in there.  The trouble is that the OSX GUI does not see this "file" as a directory.  It sees it as a file that I can't open.  Has anyone got any experience with this sort of situation?  
It is odd that the command line (unix) does not see the directory.  I need to brush up more on unix commands - I might be doing something wrong there.
IT's not the end of the world, I guess.  I can rustle up a PC somewhere with a card reader and probably extract my videos that way. 
Boy what a pain!
cheers!
Boris

--
––––
––––

Tom Stremlau

When you were in terminal you typed   cd /PRIVATE
You should have typed    cd PRIVATE
So you are listing the files in the wrong folder.

You say that, in the Finder, you see a file called AVCHD.
That is not a file, it's a package.  If you control-click ( or right-click) on it you will see the option to Show Package Contents.
That will allow you to navigate inside the package, where you will see another package called BDMV.
Do a Show Package Contents on that, and you will see the STREAM folder that holds the .MTS video files.

TomS

While it is not in evidence in the Terminal (a unix flavor command
line),
Don't understand that at all (see below)... The terminal knows all,
sees all, if you know a few tricks. Only PowerShell on Windows
machines is as powerful.

I do see a "file" named AVCHD in the PRIVATE directory using the
MacOS "finder" ... The trouble is that the OSX GUI does not see
this "file" as a directory.  It sees it as a file that I can't open.
The AVCHD is a container file, a directory actually. Normally an AVCHD
aware app is suppose to recognize this as a special directory and
understand its structure.

Since the Finder (the GUI interface to your files) knows that that is
a special directory, the contents of which should only be accessed by
apps that understand AVCHD, it doesn't show it as the directory it
really is. It's trying to protect the end-user from treating it like
a normal directory and messing things up. (Mac apps are also packaged
in a similar fashion.)

BTW -- what version of the macOS are you running? I can just
double-click on these and see them in QuickTime Player.

So to see the contents of this container, using the finder, do a
right-click on the AVCHD icon and choose "Show Package Contents". Now
you will see a "BDMV" file. Do the same right-click on that as well.

You'll find your video files, "*.MTS" in the "STREAM" folder.

It is odd that the command line (unix) does not see the directory.
It sees it on my system:

[wfc@Mink 20121220]$ cd PRIVATE/
[wfc@Mink PRIVATE]$ ls -la
total 16
drwxrwxrwx 4 wfc staff 128 May 8 19:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 wfc staff 224 Oct 3 2019 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 wfc staff 6148 May 8 19:17 .DS_Store
drwxrwxrwx@ 4 wfc staff 128 Jan 13 2016 AVCHD
[wfc@Mink PRIVATE]$

To the command line interface, it just looks like a normal directory.
Here's the structure. (Sorry, "tree" is a custom command on my system.)

[wfc@Mink PRIVATE]$ tree
└── AVCHD
├── AVCHDTN
│ ├── THUMB.TDT
│ └── THUMB.TID
└── BDMV
├── CLIPINF
│ ├── 00000.CPI
│ ├── 00001.CPI
:
:
│ └── 00015.CPI
├── index.bdm
├── MOVIEOBJ.BDM
├── PLAYLIST
│ ├── 00000.MPL
│ ├── 00001.MPL
│ ├── 00002.MPL
│ └── 00003.MPL
└── STREAM
├── 00000.MTS
├── 00001.MTS
:
:
└── 00015.MTS
[wfc@Mink PRIVATE]$

I can rustle up a PC somewhere...
It should not come to that, if you still have questions just drop me a
line. Or start a new thread with #macOS and #AVCHD tags.

Up to this point I have not had much interest in 3D videos from my
little Panny and have not paid much attention to the AVCHD file
format. All that packaging in that directory is suppose to allow apps
to do smart things with these video clips. But I have not been
motivated to investigate further. But helping you would be enough
motivation to look into it in more depth, if you still have more
questions.

...BC

Bill Burns

On 08-May-20 6:23 PM, Boris Starosta wrote:
It is odd that the command line (unix) does not see the directory.  I need to brush up more on unix commands - I might be doing something wrong there.
Try ls -la at the command line (both characters are lower case L). This will list hidden files and folders.

--
Bill

Boris Starosta

THanks everyone for your replies!
With your help I have solved the problem.  Yes I made some errors in the command line, but also got some other great tips.  I've summarized the solution(s) in a new post under I think a better subject line:

photo-3d.groups.io/g/main/topic/pulling_avchd_video_off_panny/74112675

But in summary, I tried found three different ways to get at the video files:
1. using Photos application that comes up automatically whenever an SD card is inserted.
2. using the Terminal command line does show the files - once I corrected my erroneous commands issued yesterday
3. using the MacOS Finder to open the AVCHD "file" as a package

To answer a question: I am using MacOS El Capitan on a 2015 iMac with 27" Retina screen.

Good morning!

Boris

--
––––
––––