The future of 3D: VR, AR, Automultiscopic & Lightfield Displays and Images #futureOf3D

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

François: "The bottom line here is that 200,000 W3s are in the hands of people"
Sorry but I have visited many touristic places since the W3 was released (Paris, Loire chateaux, Venice, Saint-Petersburg, and many other places) and I NEVER saw a single W3. If 200.000 W3 were travelling I would have seen one or two in use at least.
"Fuji said they sold 200,000"
Fuji sold them to their distributors who sell them to the shops. This does NOT mean that the shops sold 200.000 W3s to the end customer.
For example Amazon destroys tons of unsold products every months.

My distributor has 1500 copies of my book "Toulouse en 3D", but he has sold only 416 copies to customers in 6 years.
--
Laurent

Depthcam

> If 200.000 W3 were traveling I would have seen one or two in use at least.

Just how many Canon Ixus 75's do you see on your trips ?  Yet Canon manufactured hundreds of thousands of these... And that goes for just about every compact camera manufactured.  Have you seen every model in use ?

Your arguments fall flat.  If the shops hadn't sold them, they would still have them.  So just try to find a new W3 in ANY store...  You won't find them simply because they all got sold one way or another.

Sure they were discounted at some point and they got sold that way.  But it still remains that they sold.

> For example Amazon destroys tons of unsold products every months.

Low-cost items maybe.  But they won't start destroying five-hundred dollar cameras !  They'll return them to distributors or manufacturers.

Francois

Oktay

>>Sorry but I have visited many touristic places since the W3 was released (Paris, Loire chateaux, Venice, Saint-Petersburg, and many other places) and I NEVER saw a single W3. If 200.000 W3 were travelling I would have seen one or two in use at least.<<

Considering the world population, the number of museums in the world,  millions people visiting these museums or cities at the time you are visiting; the probability of seeing one of the 200.000 cameras is very very low.

Oktay

John Clement

An alternative idea is that the W3 went the same way as the Realist camera.  People took a few pictures and decided it was too inconvenient so it ended up in the attic.  Considering the number of Realist cameras sold, I never saw one in action other than mine.  There is also a huge gap in 3D education.  Everyone I show my 3D phone is amazed that this sort of thing exists.

It is interesting how quickly knowledge of how to do things can decay.  A colleague saw a youngster trying to dial a number on an old rotary phone by pushing in the holes.  Youngsters don’t know how to drive a manual, so I know of one case where the thieves couldn’t steal one.

My Rokit phone has a very bright display and wide sweet-spot compared to my other phones, but the sharp cutoff between pseudo and real stereo may contribute to the dimming and brightening at various angles.  The Pat Whitehouse pictures that I just scanned from VM make a wonderful introduction to 3D phones because of the great depth and familiar, but hard to capture scenes.  The baby birds waiting for dinner really wow people.  Now if I could take a good 3D picture on my phone, that would be even more wow.

John M. Clement

From: main@Photo-3d.groups.io <main@Photo-3d.groups.io> On Behalf Of akdens2 via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 5:22 AM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] The future of 3D: VR, AR, Automultiscopic & Lightfield Displays and Images

>>Sorry but I have visited many touristic places since the W3 was released (Paris, Loire chateaux, Venice, Saint-Petersburg, and many other places) and I NEVER saw a single W3. If 200.000 W3 were travelling I would have seen one or two in use at least.<<

Considering the world population, the number of museums in the world,  millions people visiting these museums or cities at the time you are visiting; the probability of seeing one of the 200.000 cameras is very very low.

Oktay

dinoDDD

I know that building stereo camera rigs is for an even smaller number of 3D enthusiasts, but I have been doing that for several years now and I can recommend it to those who are good at handcrafting things and are willing to take on the challenge. Here are pics of the newest one that I built for a friend.
It is a folding rig that will fit in your pocket made from two smartphones.

Sent on my Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S9.

Oktay

How do you synchronize the phones?
Oktay

dinoDDD

I have used multiple methods including voice command (saying "cheese" or "smile")(available on some LG phones).  Using a shutter release cable and a splitter might be the best way for most:  
https://tinyurl.com/wgdnyst
Phone shutter release
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302956912988.  TRRS Adapter-splitter

mrthreed

Google "30cm 3.5mm stereo female to 2x 3.5mm 4 pole male plug audio cable y adapter cord" for info on the splitter cable that I recommended in my previous post.

Depthcam

> An alternative idea is that the W3 went the same way as the Realist camera.

There is no doubt that a lot of W3's have ended up in drawers primarily because people didn't know how to show the pictures in 3D.  The problem was that when the W3 was introduced, Fuji was expecting that people would want lenticular prints and Fuji was ready to set up processing stations in various countries.  Needless to say, they downplayed any other 3D viewing method.

That might have worked up to a point if their 3D prints had been stunning.  However, from what I heard, they looked pretty flat. Nowadays, people can make anaglyphs, wiggles, SBS prints and of course can view their MPOs directly on glasses-free phones.

> Considering the number of Realist cameras sold, I never saw one in action other than mine.

Over my forty years in stereo photography, I saw two Realists, one Revere, one Kodak, one View-Master Personal and two W3's being used in my region.

> Everyone I show my 3D phone is amazed that this sort of thing exists

Not only your 3D phone but your W3 as well and just about ANY 3D camera ever.  Most people have no idea these have ever existed.

Francois

Depthcam

> It is a folding rig that will fit in your pocket made from two smartphones

About five years ago, an enterprise called "Stesco" came up with a very elegant holder to mount two phones similarly.  The base of the holder was fitted with a tripod socket.  The catch with such modules is they need to be designed for specific phone models.  See below.

Francois