The future of 3D: VR, AR, Automultiscopic & Lightfield Displays and Images #futureOf3D

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

François: "The bottom line here is that 200,000 W3s are in the hands of people"
Sorry but I have visited many touristic places since the W3 was released (Paris, Loire chateaux, Venice, Saint-Petersburg, and many other places) and I NEVER saw a single W3. If 200.000 W3 were travelling I would have seen one or two in use at least.
"Fuji said they sold 200,000"
Fuji sold them to their distributors who sell them to the shops. This does NOT mean that the shops sold 200.000 W3s to the end customer.
For example Amazon destroys tons of unsold products every months.

My distributor has 1500 copies of my book "Toulouse en 3D", but he has sold only 416 copies to customers in 6 years.
--
Laurent

Depthcam

> If 200.000 W3 were traveling I would have seen one or two in use at least.

Just how many Canon Ixus 75's do you see on your trips ?  Yet Canon manufactured hundreds of thousands of these... And that goes for just about every compact camera manufactured.  Have you seen every model in use ?

Your arguments fall flat.  If the shops hadn't sold them, they would still have them.  So just try to find a new W3 in ANY store...  You won't find them simply because they all got sold one way or another.

Sure they were discounted at some point and they got sold that way.  But it still remains that they sold.

> For example Amazon destroys tons of unsold products every months.

Low-cost items maybe.  But they won't start destroying five-hundred dollar cameras !  They'll return them to distributors or manufacturers.

Francois

Oktay

>>Sorry but I have visited many touristic places since the W3 was released (Paris, Loire chateaux, Venice, Saint-Petersburg, and many other places) and I NEVER saw a single W3. If 200.000 W3 were travelling I would have seen one or two in use at least.<<

Considering the world population, the number of museums in the world,  millions people visiting these museums or cities at the time you are visiting; the probability of seeing one of the 200.000 cameras is very very low.

Oktay

John Clement

An alternative idea is that the W3 went the same way as the Realist camera.  People took a few pictures and decided it was too inconvenient so it ended up in the attic.  Considering the number of Realist cameras sold, I never saw one in action other than mine.  There is also a huge gap in 3D education.  Everyone I show my 3D phone is amazed that this sort of thing exists.

It is interesting how quickly knowledge of how to do things can decay.  A colleague saw a youngster trying to dial a number on an old rotary phone by pushing in the holes.  Youngsters don’t know how to drive a manual, so I know of one case where the thieves couldn’t steal one.

My Rokit phone has a very bright display and wide sweet-spot compared to my other phones, but the sharp cutoff between pseudo and real stereo may contribute to the dimming and brightening at various angles.  The Pat Whitehouse pictures that I just scanned from VM make a wonderful introduction to 3D phones because of the great depth and familiar, but hard to capture scenes.  The baby birds waiting for dinner really wow people.  Now if I could take a good 3D picture on my phone, that would be even more wow.

John M. Clement