The future of 3D: VR, AR, Automultiscopic & Lightfield Displays and Images #futureOf3D #viewing W3 #viewing #futureOf3D

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

Nima: "FujiFilm W3 succeeded"
No, the W3 did not succeed. Most of the 200.000 W3 were sold because they were bundled with LG 3D TVs (most TVs were 3D in 2013).
Several years ago I purchased my three W3 on Leboncoin (a kind of eBay) new in box to people who got them with their LG TV.
The only W3 really sold were maybe 5.000 units worldwide to 3D maniacs like us.
--
Laurent DOLDI
Toulouse, France

Michael Cosentino

Frankly, I'm surprised they sold even that many.
Mike Cosentino

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 5:23 AM <doldi.doldi@...> wrote:
Nima: "FujiFilm W3 succeeded"
No, the W3 did not succeed. Most of the 200.000 W3 were sold because they were bundled with LG 3D TVs (most TVs were 3D in 2013).
Several years ago I purchased my three W3 on Leboncoin (a kind of eBay) new in box to people who got them with their LG TV.
The only W3 really sold were maybe 5.000 units worldwide to 3D maniacs like us.
--
Laurent DOLDI
Toulouse, France
My 3D book (amazon.com)
Mon livre en 3D (amazon.fr)

Depthcam

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 05:23 AM, <doldi.doldi@...> wrote:
No, the W3 did not succeed.

It succeeded in selling 200,000.  In other words, it put 200,000 on the market. But that was not enough for Fuji.

> Most of the 200.000 W3 were sold because they were bundled with LG 3D TVs

Sorry, but... no !  Only very few W3's were bundled with an LG TV and that was for a single short promotion - a few thousand at most - and only a few of those ever showed up on eBay and similar online markets.

> Several years ago I purchased my three W3 on Leboncoin (a kind of eBay) new in box to people who got them with their LG TV.

Yes, of course.  Many people who bought their TVs with a free camera wanted a TV - not a camera - and sold the camera as a way to get a cash discount on the TV.  But that's only a few cameras - certainly no more than two hundred.

But the point is that other people did buy those cameras on eBay (and other venues) specifically because they were 3D cameras. So even those "free" cameras did get sold.

> The only W3 really sold were maybe 5.000 units worldwide to 3D maniacs like us.

You really do draw your numbers out of thin air.  Fuji said they sold 200,000 - short of the minimum 300,000.  Therefore in their estimate, 200,000 is actually a small number.  If they had sold only 5000, the camera would have been immediately discontinued.

The bottom line here is that 200,000 are in the hands of people who may be looking for a proper way to view their images and glasses-free 3D is one of the simplest ways to do it as it mirrors what owners already have on their W3's but in a much larger format. And that's just speaking of the W3.  There is also the 3D1, a myriad of Panasonic and Sony cameras, etc - all using MPO as an output format.

Francois