May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: Sony multi-terminal era #sony3drigs - new multiport cable #sony3drigs

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

François : "Can you find out that information, Laurent ?"
Sorry I cannot. And the other plug without PC board is better.
VP-systems has designed this multiport cable for me. It will be available soon on their online shop for 59 Euros in theory.The 15cm wire enables to vary the base. For larger bases (1 m or more) we can use regular multiport cables with bug plugs.

--
Laurent

DaveJes1979

Interesting.  It appears that this would trigger the Sony cameras *in parallel*.  But haven't most of the people using Sony mirrorless rigs triggering the cameras in series (using the physical shutter button on one of the cameras).

There might be a difference in synch performance between in series arrangement vs. parallel.

timo@guildwood.net

Electrically there is no difference. To get to the 1/8” plug, the wires are connected the same as a direct cable. It will work from the camera shutter, just like a direct cable. The only current in the system is signal current from the particular pin to ground. The cameras see it the same whether you are grounding the pin from an external switch or from one of the camera's shutter switches.

Timo

On Feb 10, 2020, at 12:39 PM, DaveJes1979 via Groups.Io <davejes1979@...> wrote:

Interesting.  It appears that this would trigger the Sony cameras *in parallel*.  But haven't most of the people using Sony mirrorless rigs triggering the cameras in series (using the physical shutter button on one of the cameras).

There might be a difference in synch performance between in series arrangement vs. parallel.

Depthcam

Nice plug but they are still too big to allow the two cameras to touch as they do with Timo's solution.

I estimate no less than 80mm.

Francois

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

François: "Nice plug but they are still too big to allow the two cameras to touch as they do with Timo's solution."
I estimate no less than 80mm.
Sure, but 80 mm instead of 75 mm (W3) is not the end of the world.
80 mm is only 15 mm over the 65 mm separation most adult's eyes, so (with many simplifications) instead of having the foreground at 30X65mm = 1.95 m you will have to move at 30X80mm = 2.4 m from it (to get the same stereo disparity). So you just have to go back 45 cm = 1.5 foot.
For me it is OK (although I would prefer 60 mm but it is impossible with Sony A6*00 or A5*00 cameras).
Timo solution is excellent but I do not want to spend so much time trying to do like him, and the cable sold by VP-systems is less prone to failures.

BTW for the moment I keep using my NX1000 rig as a pair of Sony A6*00 + lenses are expensive (I do not want the cheaper A5000 or A5100 because I prefer a viewfinder).
--
Laurent

Depthcam

> Sure, but 80 mm instead of 75 mm (W3) is not the end of the world.

You won't get an argument from me as my current main 3D rig has an 85mm interaxial and I am happy with it.  I am merely reflecting the thoughts of others that absolutely wish to get as close to the 62mm ideal as possible.

With the Sony's, clearly, Timo has gone all the way in eliminating the gap between the cameras and also has shown how difficult it is to achieve this.

My opinion however is that, short of going all he way, it may be cheaper to just get a set of cables with angle plugs that sell for a couple of bucks on eBay, and connect two together.  The difference between that and the 60 euros solution is again just a few millimeters.

> as a pair of Sony A6*00 + lenses are expensive

Keep in mind that the Sony A6000 series cameras are substantially bigger than A5000 series so you will end up with an even wider interaxial as, even when two A6000 are touching in Z configuration, the interaxial is substantially wider than normal.

Francois

timo@guildwood.net

I have thought about portrait mounting a6*00s with a simple 1/4-20 threaded rod, bottom to bottom. This eliminates the worries about plug size, adds a flash shoe (although nobody has commented on whether flash synchronizes with the Sonys), and allows a very narrow lens spacing. It does, however cause, an issue with alignment. If you are always shooting portraits, at a fixed distance, this would be the optimum solution. As a daily shooter it may be problematic because of differing alignment for distant objects. I could be wrong about this.
Any thoughts?

Timo

On Feb 11, 2020, at 2:39 PM, depthcam via Groups.Io <depthcam@...> wrote:

> Sure, but 80 mm instead of 75 mm (W3) is not the end of the world.

You won't get an argument from me as my current main 3D rig has an 85mm interaxial and I am happy with it.  I am merely reflecting the thoughts of others that absolutely wish to get as close to the 62mm ideal as possible.

With the Sony's, clearly, Timo has gone all the way in eliminating the gap between the cameras and also has shown how difficult it is to achieve this.

My opinion however is that, short of going all he way, it may be cheaper to just get a set of cables with angle plugs that sell for a couple of bucks on eBay, and connect two together.  The difference between that and the 60 euros solution is again just a few millimeters.

> as a pair of Sony A6*00 + lenses are expensive

Keep in mind that the Sony A6000 series cameras are substantially bigger than A5000 series so you will end up with an even wider interaxial as, even when two A6000 are touching in Z configuration, the interaxial is substantially wider than normal.

Francois

Rich Dubnow <rich@...>

Hello all,
Regarding a homemade link vs a factory build cord is to me a simple matter, which will last longer carrying around a camera setup for days and weeks in the field.  Since I closed my studio shooting location 15 years I have travelled with my W3 camera setup and my Pentax dual K110 setup.  Both are time tested in the field and can take punishments in the field and never failed except for my forgetting to charge batteries

To me the best solution is factory made right angle plugs with a remote between the two ends.  Light weight, portable and high quality photos.  The 5mm added separation is insignificant compared to being on a trip and the wiring fails.

 The photo of the two right angle plugs with an RCA mini jack looks very solid.  What is the thought for firing the two cameras?

Sent from Rich Dubnow

On Feb 11, 2020, at 4:50 AM, doldi.doldi via Groups.Io <doldi.doldi@...> wrote:

[...]

François: "eep in mind that the Sony A6000 series cameras are substantially bigger than A5000 series so you will end up with an even wider interaxial"
Ouch, I did not notice that.
--
Laurent

DaveJes1979

I don't see that plug for sale yet on the VP-systems website.  What is the time-frame for that?

15cm is a little bit on the short side.  The Sony cameras are 11-12 cm wide as it is.

Depthcam

> Timo: I have thought about portrait mounting a6*00s with a simple 1/4-20 threaded rod, bottom to bottom.

In your case, I can understand that, given you told me you prefer a square format.  But for others who want a wide image up to 16:9, a lot of the image area will be lost. But true that, generally speaking, those who shoot portrait don't have much of a problem achieving a normal interaxial with cameras in vertical position.

> Rich: Regarding a homemade link vs a factory build cord is to me a simple matter, which will last longer carrying around a camera setup for days and weeks in the field.

Don't confuse "homemade" with "fragile".  Homemade solutions when they are done correctly can be as solid as factory plugs.  And anyhow, those plugs that Laurent showed are not factory-made but custom-built.

> Rich: The 5mm added separation is insignificant compared to being on a trip and the wiring fails

If you are using a pair of A6*00 series cameras, it's much more than 5mm over a normal base.  Anyhow, keep in mind this discussion is all about how to achieve a close to normal interaxial with Sony Alpha cameras.  If a wider base is OK with you (as it is with me), then it won't matter to you. But the goal for Dave, Timo, Laurent, George and others is to get as close as possible to a normal base.

> Dave: I don't see that plug for sale yet on the VP-systems website.

Yes, they are there now.  There are two versions:

a) left to right camera
https://camremotes.com/shop/crc/sony/cable-3d-connection-multi270-sony/

b) left to right camera with provision for an external trigger

https://camremotes.com/shop/crc/sony/sony-multi-cable-for-stereo-photography-25mm-jack/

> Rich: What is the thought for firing the two cameras?

With version A, just press the shutter release button on one camera and the other one will trigger in sync.  With version B, you can do the same but also connect an external cable release and probably use a wireless release also.

By the way, Rich, in another thread, you mentioned you had a custom rig built for your A6400 cameras and that you would show pictures of it.  I am sure everyone would be curious to see it.  So feel free to post pictures here.

Francois