Topics

Phereo down again

robert mcafee

Tried accessing Phereo from the wonderful PhereoRoll3D app and from Phereo's own app but no images load in either app.

Hoping it may be fixed soon. I really enjoy viewing the many great images posted to Phereo and the flexibility to view any of those images either as anaglyph, on my 3d glasses free display phone or tablet, or on my NVidiav 3D Vision laptop.

timo@guildwood.net

I’m working on the assumption that it is down to allow for upgrades of the site and restoration of images that were not loading.

Positive thinking.

Timo

On Jan 16, 2020, at 6:16 AM, robert mcafee via Groups.Io <geargod2@...> wrote:

Tried accessing Phereo from the wonderful PhereoRoll3D app and from Phereo's own app but no images load in either app.

Hoping it may be fixed soon. I really enjoy viewing the many great images posted to Phereo and the flexibility to view any of those images either as anaglyph, on my 3d glasses free display phone or tablet, or on my NVidiav 3D Vision laptop.

ratkins5@...

I'm sure to be in the minority camp here, but I find Phereo to be tedious and uninteresting.  What I see are a lot of oversaturated vacation pics and game shots.  Great platform, but the content, not so much.

timo@guildwood.net

On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:01 AM, ratkins5 via Groups.Io <ratkins5@...> wrote:

I'm sure to be in the minority camp here, but I find Phereo to be tedious and uninteresting.  What I see are a lot of oversaturated vacation pics and game shots.  Great platform, but the content, not so much.

Too bad you chose not to raise the standard of Phereo with better images. That said, there is no need to discourage those of us who enjoy the site. Instead, we may be left with no place to share our stereo images with a proper selection of viewing means, anywhere on the web.

No wonder stereo photography is constantly in a state of “dying”.

Timo

Bob Karambelas

I find the overall quality is mostly weak, but that's true of any photo sharing site. There is definitely some great work there if you can find it. And I still find it a good place to

We have to remember that Phereo, from what I can gather, is one guy in Russia, running one server somewhere. There is no ongoing development, and he does only enough to keep the site running. He once said that the cost of the server isn't a problem, and turned down offers of help on their forum, although that was a few years ago.

Reminder that Phereo started with a contract with NVIDIA, and supplied the viewing apps for their site. When that contract ended, the entire staff left except the one person.

On a site like that, downtime might be something as simple as him doing a database backup. If it goes down and comes back up, that's a sign that somebody is paying attention. That's all you can expect. I'll speculate that web uploading was disabled because a security hole was found and he lacked the means or motive to fix it. Web uploading a common source of vulnerabilities.

With all that said, the Phereo web viewer is still my favorite. That's what makes it frustrating.

Mike Bittner

Jack DesBwa set up a website that could use more participation.

Ilicia

Damnit. Thats not good.
Ok guys for real i havent been posting up on here but like if phereo goes down thats a big hit in my eyes and i sent him an email, but maybe he didnt get it.
But if anyone knows him and can het in touch ill buy it off of him and try to pay my ex or something if he can transfer whatever or i dont know how it works.
But ive never seen a problem that somebody couldnt fix with money so ill step up first.
Like somebody seriously ask him how many grand ill see what i can do.

ratkins5@...

Well, there it is.  Looks like Jack DesBwa has designed a nice little 3d gallery.  I'm seeing at least nine viewing methods for each picture posted there, plus even more options.  Clear, crisp 3d pictures that load almost instantly, even on my old Windows 7.

Well done, Jack!

p_thoele

... and it works also on Windows XP! Hurra.

Depthcam

> What I see are a lot of oversaturated vacation pics and game shots.

It's true that the site is used a lot for dumping loads of snapshots and vacation pictures.  Indeed one would wish that "some" users at least made a selection of their best images before loading them.  But there are also some great shots in there too.

The trick I found was to visit the site on my computer and view thumbnails by page.  The thumbnails are large enough that one can immediately tell if those are a series of vacation snapshots or carefully composed ones.  Also one can readily see the author's name.  So when I see names like Timo, Tom Bentz, Randy Hester, Bob K, Mike Bittner or others whose work I enjoy, then of course I click the thumbnail because I know it will be worth it.

But as others have said, let's be thankful that the site still exists and also that it offers a venue for anyone to post their 3D pictures - even if some may not be to our liking. It at least encourages people to continue using the medium.

And I also agree with others here that laud Jack's new 3D gallery.  He's been working on it for several months and it's really gotten very elaborate and pleasant to view.  He also has some "unseen" functions in there that are specifically designed to prevent dumping !  In other words, if a member tries to upload what is considered too many pictures in one session, he may be blocked.

Francois

Ilicia

Whats the address for the new gallery

Depthcam

> Whats the address for the new gallery

https://stereopix.net/

Francois

ron labbe

Edited

> Whats the address for the new gallery

https://stereopix.net/
I don't see buttons for viewing options...?
https://www.screencast.com/t/esTIaAvFX

ratkins5@...

After you click on a picture it will show in P view.  Then, click it again and a pop-in menu will appear over the picture.

Harry Richards

Arrows are above ad elbow the image

Harry

I thought getting old would take longer
Harry Richards

On Jan 18, 2020, at 9:14 AM, ron labbe <ron@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

> Whats the address for the new gallery

https://stereopix.net/
I don't see buttons for viewing options...?
https://www.screencast.com/t/esTIaAvFX

timo@guildwood.net

Click on an image to get a choice of viewing method.

Timo

Sent from BlueMail

[Edited Message Follows]