Measure Your Pupillary Distance #viewing #theory #howto

In the "First true 3D camera announced for 2020", DaveJes1979
mentioned in passing...

Wow, at 65mm that makes this the first 3D camera I can purchase
with precisely my interpupillary distance.
For folks who have never measured their "PD" and would like tips
on how to do so, here is an article on the subject...

5 Ways to Measure Your Pupillary Distance (PD) at Home

https://www.eyeweargenius.com/measure-your-pupillary-distance-at-home/

Way, way back when, when I got my first Realist Red Button
viewer, I thought the lens separation adjustment was for
accommodating the particular PD of the person viewing the image.
Paul Wing (see refs below) quickly disabused me of this notion.
For a correctly mounted slide the lens spacing needs to be
centered on the left and right chips respectively. The
adjustment on the viewer allowed you to compensate (to some
extent) for poorly mounted slides. From what I understand this
would often be the norm for Realist format slides mounted by a
commercial service like Kodak. (I've never got to experience
that luxury first hand.)

What I look forward to is a digital viewer with integrated
lens/display modules where the lens is always held centered on
the display, and changing the viewer's lens PD allows you to
center the lenses for each eye which will not change the image's
windowing.

...BC

Paul Wing:

https://www.stereoscopy.com/wing/

https://www.stereoscopy.com/3dlegends/wing.html

Jorge Westendarp

Here is another simple way to measure your IPD by yourself.

http://www.jorgewestendarp.com/How-to-measure-your-IPD.pdf

Jorge Westendarp

dale yingst

Eyemeasure is an iOS (IPhone) app which seems pretty accurate. It takes just a couple seconds to do with just your phone camera. I use it to set up vr goggles for guests.

Dale Yingst

On Jan 13, 2020, at 8:53 PM, Jorge Westendarp <redmoon@...> wrote:

Here is another simple way to measure your IPD by yourself.

http://www.jorgewestendarp.com/How-to-measure-your-IPD.pdf

Jorge Westendarp

Bill Burns

On 1/13/2020 9:19 PM, dale yingst wrote:
Eyemeasure is an iOS (IPhone) app which seems pretty accurate. It takes just a couple seconds to do with just your phone camera. I use it to set up vr goggles for guests.
Needs an iPhone X or newer. Won't work on my 8+.

--
Bill

Vlad

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 02:03 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
What I look forward to is a digital viewer with integrated
lens/display modules where the lens is always held centered on
the display, and changing the viewer's lens PD allows you to
center the lenses for each eye
Your waiting could be over if this Panasonic VR glasses concept/prototype gets into mass production:

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2020-panasonic-vr-hands-on/

Your waiting could be over if this Panasonic VR glasses
concept/prototype gets into mass production:
https://uploadvr.com/ces-2020-panasonic-vr-hands-on
Thanks for posting that. I saw this device described briefly in
a different venue, but there was little information so I didn't
bother to share it. This article has at least some details.

It certainly would be nice if Panasonic sells this. They have a
good track record of doing things right and building robust
products. I've owned countless Panasonic and Sony products over
the years. I like a lot of Sony stuff, but the Panasonic gear as
always been more reliable.

I hope if they make it, they go after the movie-viewer market
rather than the gaming market, which would keep the cost down.

...BC

Bill G

Very impressive...
Kudos to Panasonic, they got a lot of things right in this prototype.  Hopefully this will give this viewer a good chance for success.
The key is, two monocular viewers, which assures concentric eye lens, optical lens and display screen.  This eliminates a lot of distortion and rivalry problems.   Varying lens spacing alone is helpful, but not ideal vs. this design.
It appears they are using a high res screen.  I would love to know more about its rez.  My guess, at best it will be HD per eye,  or slightly above.  Even so, a good start.
My reservations are... the optics.  They are shooting for 100 deg diag. FOV.  This will require much wider diameter optics, it will also greatly limit the Eye Relief.  IMO, you have to compromise ER for this level of performance in a low cost compact optical product.   As you can see from the pix, your eye glasses will not be usable.  Diopter corrections will allow some spec wearers to use the viewer.   What %, depends on the range of diopter correction in each monocular.  IMO, this is a very sensible compromise to keep the optics small and relatively light weight.  This is the physical laws of optics, lens diameter scales with ER and FOV.
If the screen chases the imagery with head turning, (VR) then the optics can finally be both low cost and reasonable MTF as its only the center 20 deg of the optical viewing circle which must meet high visual requirements, which can be accomplished at relatively low cost.
We have all been teased before, but since its Panasonic, a very intelligent prototype and the advent of high resolution small screens, I am hopeful.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM <vlarexs@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 02:03 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
What I look forward to is a digital viewer with integrated
lens/display modules where the lens is always held centered on
the display, and changing the viewer's lens PD allows you to
center the lenses for each eye
Your waiting could be over if this Panasonic VR glasses concept/prototype gets into mass production:

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2020-panasonic-vr-hands-on/

Depthcam

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 02:51 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
Thanks for posting that. I saw this device described briefly in
a different venue, but there was little information so I didn't
bother to share it.
It's merely a prototype and a hands-on reviewer pointed out that it is somewhat front heavy and would constantly fall off his nose !!! ;-)

At the moment, I am more curious about the Huawei glasses (that I mentioned in a post on Fuji3D) since they are IMAX-certified and are currently available.  The catch is they can only be connected to a Huawei phone or to a Windows 10 computer.

I am just waiting for some of the "better-off" members of our community to get a pair and report back as they are somewhat on the expensive side !

Nima

I will second the recommendation for the iPhone IPD measurement application.

I actually went to Panasonic's booth at CES and asked a ton of questions about them!  Actually I even have 3D photos and videos of it from my Snapchat Spectacles.

They claim they'll be ~4K resolution per eye.  The current prototypes only have 3dof tracking, which is fine for 3D and media but not acceptable for games or serious VR applications.  They require a wired connection to either a processing pack, phone, or computer to work.  There's no processing on board, just displays and sensors.  That said, they said that they will try to make it 6dof before launching to consumers.  They said they should be releasing sometime in 2020 if all goes well!

Bill G

Thx for added panny info!
Will the display be 4k pixels...or 4k pixels after you turn your head to see all of the imagery?

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020, 6:16 PM Nima <contactnimaz@...> wrote:

I will second the recommendation for the iPhone IPD measurement application.

I actually went to Panasonic's booth at CES and asked a ton of questions about them!  Actually I even have 3D photos and videos of it from my Snapchat Spectacles.

They claim they'll be ~4K resolution per eye.  The current prototypes only have 3dof tracking, which is fine for 3D and media but not acceptable for games or serious VR applications.  They require a wired connection to either a processing pack, phone, or computer to work.  There's no processing on board, just displays and sensors.  That said, they said that they will try to make it 6dof before launching to consumers.  They said they should be releasing sometime in 2020 if all goes well!

Nima

Will the display be 4k pixels...or 4k pixels after you turn your head to see all of the imagery?

Ha!  No, almost every VR headset I can think of has always been able to decode and play back 4K 3D 360 video, as far back as the original Samsung GearVR in 2014.

According to Panasonic, it's dual 4K-equivalent panels.  Meaning the panels won't be 3840x2160 rectangular panels, but closer to 1:1 ratio panels that have about the same total pixel count.