Topics

Nice viewer spoiled by dreadful lenses... #viewing #review

In a different thread (Free Viewing Article in NY Times Magazine)
I mentioned ordering from China a collapsible silicone smartphone
viewer that looked promising. Find my review here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSP9V7N

Bottom line, very nice design and material quality -- except for
the lenses which are not just mediocre, but outright bad. *sigh*

Not mentioned in my review are some specs about the lenses, as
best as I can measure...

Diameter: 33.3 mm
Thickness: 0.19 mm
Mount Edge: 0.06 mm
Focal Length: 60.30 mm

The focal length is an estimate. I do not have an optical bench.
What I did was measure from the lens board to the phone surface.

If I could at least decent lenses that fit for not a lot of
money, I would consider trying to install them.

...BC

turbguy

Great and honest Amazon review!

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:24 PM Bill Costa <Bill.Costa@...> wrote:
[...]

depthcam

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 06:24 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
I mentioned ordering from China a collapsible silicone smartphone
viewer that looked promising
I have the same one, which I bought at a local museum last year. Paid CAN$4.95 for it.

> Bottom line, very nice design and material quality

Agreed !

> except for
the lenses which are not just mediocre, but outright bad. "But the lenses themselves are unbelievably distorted with a circular distortion ring in the center of each lens."

You must have gotten a bad batch because, after reading your review, I took mine out and checked the lenses with a grill and there is no such distortion apart from the usual slight pincushioning at the edges, which is meant to be corrected using VR apps. So, no, the lenses on mine are fine.

> One shortcoming of this particular design to be aware of is that you cannot touch the screen while the phone is mounted. So any control of an app has to be done using buttons on the edge of the phone itself.

What most people do including myself is just use an external BT controller.  One can find them for five bucks on eBay.

In conclusion, my own experience of this viewer is a very positive one - contrary to yours.  Indeed it looks like yours came from a defective batch but mine cost even less than yours and works fine.

Francois

George Themelis

I got one of these viewers too.

OMG, I have never seen anything that bad! Can these lenses get any worse??? The distortion is unbelievable.

Just as Bill said in his review: “he lenses themselves are unbelievably distorted with a circular distortion ring in the center of each lens. (See the photo.) It is hard to understand how anyone would sell such an obviously defective device”

But, as Bill said, it is easy to take the lenses apart and maybe replace them with something better. I put the pieces away for further study / modification.

George

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:24 PM Bill Costa <Bill.Costa@...> wrote:
In a different thread (Free Viewing Article in NY Times Magazine)
I mentioned ordering from China a collapsible silicone smartphone
viewer that looked promising.  Find my review here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSP9V7N

Bottom line, very nice design and material quality -- except for
the lenses which are not just mediocre, but outright bad.  *sigh*

Not mentioned in my review are some specs about the lenses, as
best as I can measure...

        Diameter:  33.3 mm
       Thickness:  0.19 mm
      Mount Edge:  0.06 mm
    Focal Length: 60.30 mm

The focal length is an estimate.  I do not have an optical bench.
What I did was measure from the lens board to the phone surface.

If I could at least decent lenses that fit for not a lot of
money, I would consider trying to install them.

...BC

depthcam

> I got one of these viewers too.
> OMG, I have never seen anything that bad

Interesting because as I wrote, the one I got has fine lenses that do not distort in the center.  However they were bought from a Canadian museum so are most likely a different batch.

Francois

... bought from a Canadian museum ...
Which museum? Any particular reason they were selling a 3D viewer?

...BC

Boris Starosta

I just got mine, which I had ordered just before I noticed this thread.  Yup, mine are terrible also in the center of lenses.  I'd advise people to not bother taking the risk.  Seems the odds are in favor of getting the bad lenses.  Maybe I can subsitute some other lenses in due time... it looks like the lens board comes apart with little screws.  (Haven't had time to tinker with it yet).
--
––––
Contemporary work in the Stereoscopic Arts:  www.patreon.com/retroformat

... it looks like the lens board comes apart with little
screws.
You can see a photo of the disassembled lens board in my review.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSP9V7N

...BC

depthcam

> Which museum?

It was a small museum in a rural village in Quebec

> Any particular reason they were selling a 3D viewer?

Nope.  It was just among the many techno toys in the gift shop.

Francois

timo@guildwood.net

Can you give us the diameter of the lenses, just in case I have something suitable in stock?

Timo

Sent from BlueMail

On Jan 26, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Bill Costa <bill.costa@...> wrote:
... it looks like the lens board comes apart with little
screws.

You can see a photo of the disassembled lens board in my review.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSP9V7N

...BC

Can you give us the diameter of the lenses, just in case I have
something suitable in stock?
Please see the first message in this thread.

https://photo-3d.groups.io/g/main/message/123390

...BC