Confusion about email address to post to #meta

Popout3D

Your new subject page https://photo-3d.groups.io/g/main/post has main@photo3d.groups.io as the recipient address, but the confirmation of membership email I have just received has photo-3d@groups.io. Which should I use?
Chris

Use the "main" address for posting to the Photo-3D group at large. The reason for having the "main" address is because this group has sub-groups.

...BC

Popout3D

Thanks! I'll just ignore the one in the email.
Chris

What I like about receiving postings in my email from Groups.IO is the footer that gets appended to each message.

That footer is your friend.

There is a lot of good stuff there. I find that using the Reply To Group and Reply To Sender links are helpful in keeping me mindful of where exactly my post is going. It is all too easy to send a reply back to the entire group that you meant to send privately. Using the links to reply adds a wee bit of friction that helps prevent that from happening.

If you use the web interface to make your replies, it works just a bit differently. There is a single <- Reply button. But after you type in your message you press either the <- Reply to Group or the Private button. Again, a clear reminder before you commit where your message is going.

...BC

Either posting address will work. After the subgroups (for archives of various small 3D groups) were created, the "official" email posting address of photo-3d became the longer one with "main" in it. But using the original  photo-3d@groups.io  still works and I find it easier to to do that. Our subgroups are archives only and do not allow posting, so you do not need to worry about the subgroups' posting addresses .

Likewise for the group web address. You can still use  https://groups.io/g/photo-3d to get to the main photo-3d group (comparable to other groups without any subgroups). Although the official address became https://photo-3d.groups.io/g/main when we created the subgroups. And if you want to visit the various archive subgroups their site addresses are in this format, substituting "fuji3d-archive" etc  for "main" in the web address.

These changes that come with creating subgroups are the most confusing aspect of the new GIO platform, IMO. But because the "old" posting and web addresses still work for the main group, it becomes less of an issue. Linda N, co-moderator