Topics

3D Vision Monitor

robert mcafee

I am looking at an Acer XB241H NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible monitor (requires external emitter which I have).  This is a TN display (twisted nematic?) display type. I believe in this forum some individuals had recommended against TN displays suggesting to get an ips monitor instead.

The XB241H is current production, new and I found on sale. I was looking for a monitor to use with one of 2 laptops I have with NVIDIA 3D (GEForce) graphics cards but without integrated emitter (I have an external NVIDIA emitter now - though it is used and untested).

I understand TN monitors may be darker than ips.

Does anyone here have any experience to recommend this monitor or advise against this model (or against TN monitors in general)?

Thanks
Bob in Central NY

3DBob

I think you will have to be happy just to get a 3D monitor these days regardless of type. Aren't many around anymore and Nvidia doesn't support 3D vision on it's newer graphics cards and software. What competition are you comparing this to??

On Thursday, September 10, 2020, 05:46:14 PM EDT, robert mcafee via groups.io <geargod2@...> wrote:

I am looking at an Acer XB241H NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible monitor (requires external emitter which I have).  This is a TN display (twisted nematic?) display type. I believe in this forum some individuals had recommended against TN displays suggesting to get an ips monitor instead.

The XB241H is current production, new and I found on sale. I was looking for a monitor to use with one of 2 laptops I have with NVIDIA 3D (GEForce) graphics cards but without integrated emitter (I have an external NVIDIA emitter now - though it is used and untested).

I understand TN monitors may be darker than ips.

Does anyone here have any experience to recommend this monitor or advise against this model (or against TN monitors in general)?

Thanks
Bob in Central NY

Cameron Kaiser

I am looking at an Acer XB241H NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible monitor (requires
external emitter which I have). This is a TN display (twisted nematic?)
display type. I believe in this forum some individuals had recommended
against TN displays suggesting to get an ips monitor instead.
My only thought here is that besides TN's disadvantages -- which aren't major,
mostly problems with viewing angles -- you're locked into Nvidia gear.

I have a Mitsubishi Diamondcrysta RDT233WX-3D which I imported from Japan. It
is a passive 3D IPS display and quite flexible (and has an English-language
mode). I find the viewing angles and colour gamut compelling, and although it
is a passive screen, 3D is intrinsic to the display and isn't dependent on the
video card driving it. Especially important to me, since my daily driver
computer is a Raptor Talos II running Linux, so AMD GPUs are pretty much my
only practical choice.

-- Our way is peace. -- Septimus, Son worshipper, Star Trek "Bread & Circuses"

robert mcafee

For anyone interested PC Richardson in NY City area has the Acer XB241H NVIDIA 3D Vision ready (requires emitter) for $299.99 with free shipping.  (Shows as on sale for $309 with lower price in cart).  Price on Acer's site is $399

For those in Texas or Nebraska or Iowa the Nebraska Furniture Mart has this monitor for $279.99.  They had this for a lower price a while ago but they have a limited area to which they are allowed to ship and they could not ship to NY

jetozour

I have been using an Asus VG236H 3D Vision ready monitor for a long time and I love it. It is TN. This thread prompted me to look for a spare 3D monitor in case I outlive my Asus. I just received  a "new in box"  Planar SA2311W 3D Ready Monitor from ebay for $106 with tax and shipping. Of coarse, it was made long ago, but it is "new in box" and works great. The manual is from 2010.  It is also TN. The stand is shorter than the one on the Asus, but a book or two would correct that. I think that there are more available.

Jim Tozour

robert mcafee

Nice deal. What glasses are needed for this?

Did the monitor come with glasses?

If you have received yours, have you been able to make it work for 3D display?

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 01:31:23 PM EDT, jetozour <jtozour@...> wrote:

I have been using an Asus VG236H 3D Vision ready monitor for a long time and I love it. It is TN. This thread prompted me to look for a spare 3D monitor in case I outlive my Asus. I just received  a "new in box"  Planar SA2311W 3D Ready Monitor from ebay for $106 with tax and shipping. Of coarse, it was made long ago, but it is "new in box" and works great. The manual is from 2010.  It is also TN. The stand is shorter than the one on the Asus, but a book or two would correct that. I think that there are more available.

Jim Tozour

jetozour

robert mcafee asked:
3:45pm

Nice deal. What glasses are needed for this?

Did the monitor come with glasses?

If you have received yours, have you been able to make it work for 3D display?

answers: I use nvidia 3D vision glasses.

The monitor did not come with glasses or emitter. I already had them.

I received the monitor, connected it in place of my asus monitor, and it worked very well with nvidia 3D, just like my asus monitor.

Jim Tozour

Art Clark

For some reason they wanted $80 shipping to NorCal. I said forget it.....

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Nice deal. What glasses are needed for this?

Did the monitor come with glasses?

If you have received yours, have you been able to make it work for 3D display?

answers: I use nvidia 3D vision glasses.

The monitor did not come with glasses or emitter. I already had them.

I received the monitor, connected it in place of my asus monitor, and it worked very well with nvidia 3D, just like my asus monitor.

Jim Tozour

robert mcafee

Some data on the auction listings suggests these may be refurbished. Is your impression these are new old stock or are they refurbished?  Was it in an original box with printed details for the monitor or in a brown box?

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 08:19:55 PM EDT, jetozour <jtozour@...> wrote:

robert mcafee asked:
3:45pm   #127109

Nice deal. What glasses are needed for this?

Did the monitor come with glasses?

If you have received yours, have you been able to make it work for 3D display?

answers: I use nvidia 3D vision glasses.

The monitor did not come with glasses or emitter. I already had them.

I received the monitor, connected it in place of my asus monitor, and it worked very well with nvidia 3D, just like my asus monitor.

Jim Tozour

jetozour

robert mcafee -
7:28am
Some data on the auction listings suggests these may be refurbished.

Some were listed as new in box, some as refurbished. Mine was listed as new in box and it is new in original box.

I think something is wrong with one of the two listings that are left, the shipping price shown is about twice what it was for mine to the same location.

Jim Tozour

robert mcafee

Finally are you connecting yours to a desktop or laptop and what type of video connection at the computer - hdmi? DisplayPort? DVI?

I have 2 laptops with 3D Nvidia GeForce video cards, an external Nvidia emitter and required glasses but these laptops have only HDMI output and for the 3D to work (to operate monitor above 60Hz) you must connect to the monitor’s DVI or DisplayPort. That’s fine of course except on the computer end I don’t have either type of port. I was hoping I could use an HDMI to display port or DVI (depending on available monitor inputs) active adapter but it is not clear to me if this will work.

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 09:35:01 AM EDT, jetozour <jtozour@...> wrote:

robert mcafee -
7:28am   #127114
Some data on the auction listings suggests these may be refurbished.

Some were listed as new in box, some as refurbished. Mine was listed as new in box and it is new in original box.

I think something is wrong with one of the two listings that are left, the shipping price shown is about twice what it was for mine to the same location.

Jim Tozour

jetozour

robert mcafee -
8:44am

Finally are you connecting yours to a desktop or laptop and what type of video connection at the computer - hdmi? DisplayPort? DVI?

answer - Desktop, Dual Link DVI  (DVI-D) at 120Hz.  I don't think that any other type of connection will work for Nvidia 3D Vision.

Jim Tozour

8:44am

robert mcafee

I just bought a new Acer XB241H which is Nvidia 3D Vision ready (no emitter in display). Best price I found for this current production monitor is P C Richard & Son in NYC area.  It has HDMI & DisplayPort inputs. To run above 60 Hz you must use the display port.

I have used this successfully with an Alienware laptop which has a Mini DisplayPort   output (in addition to HDMI)

I am trying to find a way if possible to use an adapter/converter with the HDMI output of my other laptops.

Thanks for the info.  Maybe I should be looking for a used desktop with suitable Nvidia card

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 09:58:09 AM EDT, jetozour <jtozour@...> wrote:

robert mcafee -
8:44am   #127116