Twinning the Sony RX0 II "premium tiny tough camera"

I see the RX0 as a replacement for the Fuji and Lumix 3D1, not
a substitute for the GoPro.
OK, that makes sense. I know that I very rarely zoom in with
either the W3 or the 3D1, so I certainly would not miss that.
But how to link? Are you thinking of hacking the VCT-SGR1
Shooting Grip?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras-tripods-remotes/vct-sgr1

...BC

timo@guildwood.net

No need to hack, other than to splice a remote shutter cable. The RX0 is equipped with a rear facing Multiport. This is an awesome camera for making very compact stereo rig. 59mm spacing on a simple bar, perfect synchronization (yet to be tested?), synchronized camera settings (at least that is what is implied), and a very compact design. Steep price though. I will wait for cheaper used cameras.

Timo

On Monday, September 23, 2019, 9:57:53 AM EDT, BC Bill.Costa@... [photo-3d] wrote:

> I see the RX0 as a replacement for the Fuji and Lumix 3D1, not
> a substitute for the GoPro.

OK, that makes sense. I know that I very rarely zoom in with
either the W3 or the 3D1, so I certainly would not miss that.
But how to link? Are you thinking of hacking the VCT-SGR1
Shooting Grip?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras-tripods-remotes/vct-sgr1

....BC

George Themelis

Yes, to what TImo said.

59 mm lens spacing (shorter in bottom-to-bottom). Fixed FL Zeiss Tessar T lens... Plus waterproof, tilting screen, larger sensor than the Fuji & 3D1... Sounds like a prefect stereo camera offering variable stereo base and other features. I hope I won’t be disappointed, but this is very promising.

My other hobby is running. I was excited when digital came along and I was able to run races with the Fuji on my hands (previously, in the film era, I took the RBT S1 with me, had to be very careful and had to change film every 19 exposures).

Then the Panasonic 3D1 came and it was even better, smaller, giving better pictures at lower light, close-ups, etc. But that camera does not last long if you don’t baby it. I must have gone through 5-6 of them. In all of them, the screen died. After losing the one in Germany, I am back to using a “blind” 3D1, one that the screen is not working.

I am hoping that the RX0II will be the compact alternative that I can take with me running. Being an underwater camera, it will be resistant to water, moisture, etc., so it seems perfect to take running and in other sports. Maybe I can find a way to somehow waterproof the cable connection in the back, not for underwater use, just water / moisture resistance.

I am already thinking of trail running with these cameras and capturing the fall colors, water fall reflections, creeks, bridges, and everything I see during my runs.

The instructions mention that you can connect a number of them via wifi, not sure how well this works.

As Timo says, the connection is a joke, you only have to connect three wires if you want to create your own cables. No resistors to worry about. Synchronization seems to be unaffected by the construction of the cable. I have created my own little box using a very nice two stage switch that Bill Costa discussed earlier. You can have a variety of custom cables, fire, the cameras remotely, etc.

The thing about Sony it that it improves the cameras in every new version and considers all versions as valid, i.e. does not discontinue the previous version when a new one comes along. So the RX0 is now in version ii. You can bet that version iii will come eventually and will be better than ii. The prices of previous versions drop as some people rush to get the latest version.

The RX100 is now at version vii. I just got two RX100 version ii cameras used for about $200 each. (The latest version is about $1200 new). The RX100 has the advantage that the plugs are in the “correct” side for the z-orientation. I tired the cameras. Even though they have different firmware, synchronization is nearly perfect. Sorry, I don’t have any data, but shooting cars speeding down the highway, I got no missyncronization. I am really impressed.

I don’t want to sound like Jose, but I think we are into something good here.

George

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [photo-3d] Twinning the Sony RX0 II "premium tiny tough camera"

No need to hack, other than to splice a remote shutter cable. The RX0 is equipped with a rear facing Multiport. This is an awesome camera for making very compact stereo rig. 59mm spacing on a simple bar, perfect synchronization (yet to be tested?), synchronized camera settings (at least that is what is implied), and a very compact design. Steep price though. I will wait for cheaper used cameras.

Timo

On Monday, September 23, 2019, 9:57:53 AM EDT, BC Bill.Costa@... [photo-3d] wrote:

> I see the RX0 as a replacement for the Fuji and Lumix 3D1, not
> a substitute for the GoPro.

OK, that makes sense. I know that I very rarely zoom in with
either the W3 or the 3D1, so I certainly would not miss that.
But how to link? Are you thinking of hacking the VCT-SGR1
Shooting Grip?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras-tripods-remotes/vct-sgr1

....BC

The instructions mention that you can connect a number of them
via wifi, not sure how well this works.
Given the nature of WiFi, I would not expect usable sub-second
timing for any camera.

...BC

Michael Levine

George said "As Timo says, the connection is a joke, you only have to connect three wires if you want to create your own cables. No resistors to worry about. Synchronization seems to be unaffected by the construction of the cable. I have created my own little box using a very nice two stage switch that Bill Costa discussed earlier. You can have a variety of custom cables, fire, the cameras remotely, etc."

For non tech people is there a diagram somewhere for a simple minimal soldering connection and mention of what plugs might be used?.

I do have the male and female after market cables for the Sony multi port in case I ever went with a big rig - but the RX0 appeals because of size.

Any references would be appreciated.

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)

> "I am hoping that the RX0II will be the compact alternative that I can take with me running"

The RX0 looks good to me also, but its aperture is fixed (f/4). With its 13X8mm sensor, larger than the W3 and 3D1 sensors, I am afraid that the depth of field would be too small.
Especially for landscape stereos, where we need to have for example both the foreground at 6 feet AND the mountains in the background in focus.

It would be interesting to know:
- the hyperfocal value of the RX0 (for beginners, not you George: distance setting where both the foreground and infinity are "sharp"),
- and then the value of the closest foreground when the distance is set at the hyperfocal (example: hyperfocal at 9 feet, the image is sharp from 6 feet to infinity).

Laurent Doldi
Toulouse, France.

George Themelis

If you have a male and a female cable, how about sticking the male inside the female? (sorry for the graphic description :))

There is not need for soldering if you have two cables that connect or you can connect them with a third cable. Or, you can use the Sony cable VMC-MM2 which is made to connect two cameras.

You only need soldering if you want to make your own custom cable or triggering box or whatever. In this case, you can cut two cables or buy cheap Sony multiport remotes (about $5, certainly less than $10 on Amazon). You will see that these cables have three wires inside, which are colored differently. You then solder the same colors, that’s all.

George

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 9:42 PM

George said "As Timo says, the connection is a joke, you only have to connect three wires if you want to create your own cables. No resistors to worry about. Synchronization seems to be unaffected by the construction of the cable. I have created my own little box using a very nice two stage switch that Bill Costa discussed earlier. You can have a variety of custom cables, fire, the cameras remotely, etc."

For non tech people is there a diagram somewhere for a simple minimal soldering connection and mention of what plugs might be used?.

I do have the male and female after market cables for the Sony multi port in case I ever went with a big rig - but the RX0 appeals because of size.

Any references would be appreciated.

Pierre MEINDRE

Well a 1" sensor is still a small sensor... We are not talking of medium format here!

If you believe what "Roger" is saying on this page (scroll down to the comments part):
https://www.provideocoalition.com/the-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx0-ii-digital-camera-review/
Sony could have used a fixed focus lens:
"Putting the 1″ sensor, 7.9mm focal length, and f/4 aperture into a DoF calculator, I get a hyperfocal distance of 1.73ft, with a hyperfocal nearlimit of 0.87ft (and by definition a hyperfocal far limit of infinity). So the engineers should have factory-fixed the focus at 1.73ft, giving us an in-focus image from 0.87ft to infinity."

I've used this online DoF calculator / simulator:
https://dofsimulator.net/en/
and get roughly the same results selecting 1" sensor, 9 mm focal length, f/4 --> focus from ~1m to infinity.

Pierre.

"I am hoping that the RX0II will be the compact alternative that I can take with me running"

The RX0 looks good to me also, but its aperture is fixed (f/4). With its 13X8mm sensor, larger than the W3 and 3D1 sensors, I am afraid that the depth of field would be too small.
Especially for landscape stereos, where we need to have for example both the foreground at 6 feet AND the mountains in the background in focus.

It would be interesting to know:
- the hyperfocal value of the RX0 (for beginners, not you George: distance setting where both the foreground and infinity are "sharp"),
- and then the value of the closest foreground when the distance is set at the hyperfocal (example: hyperfocal at 9 feet, the image is sharp from 6 feet to infinity).

Laurent Doldi
Toulouse, France.
http://phereo.com/58ba9288888428d37a000000

Interesting feature on the Sony RX0 ii that I wish more digital
cameras had. You can set a custom 3 letter prefix for the image
file name. So that means you could automatically label the files
as being from either the left or right camera.

...BC

George Themelis

Thank you for making us aware of this!

It is a feature of all later Sony cameras. So now I changed the 3 letters from DSC to something more meaningful, like RX0 (for the RX0), RX1 (for the RX100) and RX2 (for the RX10).

For me, it is important to change the left camera’s letters, because SPM uses the left image to name the pair. So now I don’t need to do any renaming and I will know which camera pair took the picture.

Thank you again!

George

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:23 PM

Interesting feature on the Sony RX0 ii that I wish more digital
cameras had. You can set a custom 3 letter prefix for the image
file name. So that means you could automatically label the files
as being from either the left or right camera.

....BC

robert mcafee

My first twin camera stereo rig was a pair of Nikon Coolpix e5000 5MP cameras. They allowed setting up different directories on the CF card and I very much missed this capability with the Samsungs.

On another note, I thought anyone interested in the Sony RX100 for pairing might find the website below of some interest
https://photographylife.com/sony-rx100-series-comparison

I was surprised most versions of this camera were still available to purchase new from major camera stores.

I am wondering if George or anyone else using these in twin camera rig have any suggestions for which versions they found best suited?