Date   

Re: YouTube 3D viewing on Android Tablet

Depthcam
 

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:16 AM, John Clement wrote:
I is possible to view all 3D videos on Rokit 3D, but it may require a lot of fiddling

No fiddling.  All you need to do is activate 3D services and any SBS or O/U clip will play in 3D directly in the YouTube app when you activate the 3D icon from the left tab.

Francois


Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

John Rupkalvis
 

If all languages were absolute, real time translations would actually work.  In the real world, however, most languages have different meanings depending upon the context.  The same word may mean several different things depending upon how it is used, including other words used in the same sentence or paragraph or entire text.  Direct, literal translations must be based upon a specific definition for each word, that may or may not apply to the specific application.  It may even indicate the opposite of the meaning intended. I have seen some "machine translations" that were absolutely hilarious as to how they read out as compared to the original writer's intent.   

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 5:27 AM robert mcafee via groups.io <geargod2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I believe Skype and some translator apps are supposed to work in (near) real time to translate audio. 

Anyone tried this?

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:52:42 AM EDT, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:


International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


Re: May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: NEW SHUTTERS

Bill G
 

I modified the subject so it reflected shutters, as once again, we are all seeking the same holy grails, but now with sync.

Large focal plane shutters are just too mechanical from my experience, and based on John R post as well... they will create shake.  We don't want perfect sync with added blurred images.

If you want the taking rig to be hand-holdable, that is one solution.  If you only use a tripod, you can isolate a mechanical shutter on another tripod with a bellows or cover between them.  talk about cumbersome, feels like the 1800's.    You can do like they did in the old days, use a slit shutter, just pull from top to bottom... smaller slits equal faster shutter speeds.

About 10 yrs ago, when I worked diligently on this, I felt the only sensible solution was a single LED shutter...they were expensive back then.  But they had issues as well...fastest shutter speed back then was only 1/60th, maybe they are faster today... it would make a universal fix for all cameras, as they are lightweight.  Anyone following that field lately?



On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 7:46 AM timo@... <timo@...> wrote:
There must be some other way to control the shutter speed of a gravity shutter. All objects fall with the same acceleration regardless of weight. You could adjust the height from which it falls, since dropping it from higher up will get you a faster shutter speed.  I am trying to think of wether the exposure would be different fpr the top and bottom of the frame.

Timo

Sent from BlueMail
On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:27 AM, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:
The Sinar Norma shutter for 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras would be good to look at.  If you prefer focal plane shutters, some of the earlier sheet film cameras, like the 4x5 Speed Graphic and Graphlex cameras were fitted with these.  The problem with those was that you had to reset the shutter speed after every exposure.  Also, they were rather noisy, with a rather loud "Galump" sound every time they were fired.  Some people actually made their own, including the rather interesting double-curtain "gravity shutter" design.  The edge of the curtain was fitted with a lead weight, so triggering the shutter just allowed it to drop, the shutter speed being determined by the size and weight.  Most manufactured versions were spring-loaded.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM DaveJes1979 via groups.io <davejes1979=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I realize we have discussed this before, but for newcomers it should be noted that  "perfect synch" is achievable by the use of a common external shutter.  While there are stand-alone shutter devices on the market, I doubt that any of them would be large enough to cover the lenses of two mirrorless cameras (although I might be wrong on that).

So that means one would likely be looking at a DIY project.  While I am a man of many mechanical talents, my expertise ends where the electronic hardware and software begin.  So I was never able to get the concept off of the drawing board.

On the mechanical side, the important trick is getting a fast-acting shutter mechanism that doesn't induce vibration to the camera.  That's a little tricky since an external shutter will have to move ~1.5" across the front of the lenses, on the order of 10 milliseconds or better.  The best candidate would be either a roller blind type shutter or a rotary shutter.  These are old-timey shutter types that aren't in use anymore, but they work.  For maximum flexibility in interaxial, one really needs to go with the roller blind design.  And it ought to be a double roller blind, so that there is a first and second curtain.


YouTube 3D viewing on Android Tablet

John Clement
 

 

Chrome on the Freevi/Flightdeck/Commander tablet displays YouTube 3D properly.  There are 2 conditions.

  1. The 3D video must be formatted according to YouTube standards which means it must have the 3D tag set.
  2. It works only in full screen.

 

The video is fuzzy, so I suspect it is only displaying standard resolution, not HD.  I could not bring up the Chrome options to put it into HD.  Chrome simply would not display the “gear” for selecting options.  In windowed mode a 3D video is displayed as just a raw SBS frame, which means that anamorphic 3D will have squished pictures.  Both Magix Movie Edit Pro and PowerDirector automatically produce 3D MP4 videos with the necessary tag.  You have to specify 3D output of course.

 

Curiouser and churioser.  I have 2 FlightDeck tablets.  Both have identical old versions of chrome 42.0…  One is completely American, while the other has some folders with “Chinese” characters.  The American one works with YouTube, but the other one does not!  On my Rokit Pro 3D the version of Chrome is 84.0…  Perhaps others can dig  into this to see what they have?  The “Chinese” version has the standard adjustments in Chrome for resolution.  Neither is upgradeable.  Both tablets have the same menus and come up with the same FlightDeck logo.  It is only when looking at folders that I came across the Chinese characters.  I assume they are Chinese, but Japanese characters according to a Chinese friend are almost the same but simplified.

 

Now can the Chrome developers be convinced to support other glasses free phone/tablet displays.  The vast majority are now lenticular, so the code already exists, and there is no requirement to turn on a barrier.  FlightDeck has both vertical and horizontal barriers that Chrome automatically turns on.  I did not test the barriers in portrait mode.  Go figure!  Just a simple option to format full screen for 3D would be OK.  My videos are always parallel view and work perfectly without any fiddling on FlightDeck.

 

I tried viewing the same video on my Rokit Pro with Chrome.  It came up SBS anamorphic, unlike my Windows browsers which automatically produced anaglyph.  With a lot of fiddling with the built in Rokit 3D display option I was able to coerce it into correct display.  However it was a battle.  I first had to select full screen in Chrome, and then HD resolution.  However along the way I tried various adjustments and some combinations moved the play/pause buttons into different locations which made using them impossible.  I think the correct sequence is play, then use the Rokit 3D display option.

 

Here is a sample of one of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UdQLfy5NR4

 

So it is possible to view 3D formatted YouTube videos on FlightDeck, as long as they have the YouTube tag.  I is possible to view all 3D videos on Rokit 3D, but it may require a lot of fiddling.  If someone could come up with an Android app to properly format 3D for any lenticular screen, we might be a lot happier.  However, this may require a rooted phone, UGH!

 

I could do it, but it would require more digging into Android than I wish to pursue.  I now confine my programming to other types of things such as VirtualDub plugins.

 

No wonder with this sort of geeky incompatibility that 3D could not make it.  You have to be both a Geek and a 3D fanatic!

 

John M. Clement

 

 


Re: May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: Sony multi-terminal era

timo@guildwood.net
 

There must be some other way to control the shutter speed of a gravity shutter. All objects fall with the same acceleration regardless of weight. You could adjust the height from which it falls, since dropping it from higher up will get you a faster shutter speed.  I am trying to think of wether the exposure would be different fpr the top and bottom of the frame.

Timo

Sent from BlueMail

On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:27 AM, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:
The Sinar Norma shutter for 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras would be good to look at.  If you prefer focal plane shutters, some of the earlier sheet film cameras, like the 4x5 Speed Graphic and Graphlex cameras were fitted with these.  The problem with those was that you had to reset the shutter speed after every exposure.  Also, they were rather noisy, with a rather loud "Galump" sound every time they were fired.  Some people actually made their own, including the rather interesting double-curtain "gravity shutter" design.  The edge of the curtain was fitted with a lead weight, so triggering the shutter just allowed it to drop, the shutter speed being determined by the size and weight.  Most manufactured versions were spring-loaded.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM DaveJes1979 via groups.io <davejes1979=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I realize we have discussed this before, but for newcomers it should be noted that  "perfect synch" is achievable by the use of a common external shutter.  While there are stand-alone shutter devices on the market, I doubt that any of them would be large enough to cover the lenses of two mirrorless cameras (although I might be wrong on that).

So that means one would likely be looking at a DIY project.  While I am a man of many mechanical talents, my expertise ends where the electronic hardware and software begin.  So I was never able to get the concept off of the drawing board.

On the mechanical side, the important trick is getting a fast-acting shutter mechanism that doesn't induce vibration to the camera.  That's a little tricky since an external shutter will have to move ~1.5" across the front of the lenses, on the order of 10 milliseconds or better.  The best candidate would be either a roller blind type shutter or a rotary shutter.  These are old-timey shutter types that aren't in use anymore, but they work.  For maximum flexibility in interaxial, one really needs to go with the roller blind design.  And it ought to be a double roller blind, so that there is a first and second curtain.


Re: Platform Smartphone versus VR glasses #viewing #android #vrheadset

Bill G
 

Interesting history on VMagic, thx for sharing John.
What is Stereo Vision, Moviola, and editing viewer such as flatbed?

I thought the under/over premise held some promise as a viewer...but I could not get the HFOV enough to create the wow factor I wanted.  To print tranny film, such as Fuji Trans would bypass the film route of viewing, i.e. you could scan, then edit the images, (so many captures need editing!) then reprint at any commercial lab with an LED printer for the same look as film, without the hassle of writing back to film on a film writer..... you could also then print on a roll, like a paper towel concept, which would remove the annoying, ONE IN, ONE OUT process of traditional film mounts.   However, the resolution of the LED printers is very limited, IIRC, about 6 lp/mm, so to match the look of film, the prints would have to be waaaaay too large for the Under / Over concept to achieve, as the print placement (size) with Under / Over design is limited to IPD spacing.  Demonstrating once again, the remarkable benefits of the Wheatstone design.  But other than these two issues, it's an interesting premise.

The real deal breaker for me was the HFOV.   When we ray traced Under/Over for max FOV, the mirrors / prisms were too limiting on the Horizontal.  This is when you maximize each axis.  So u would end up with taller vs. wider images.  As you can see from the design and prototypes I settled on, I cropped the image size to squares.  As within the square you can see cropped horizontal images.  But the more cropping the more lost image area.  The VMagic simply crops down to view horizontal images of standardized sizes.  As from the Berezin link, it mentions 4x6, which was standard 35mm aspect ratio.  
             I fully agree this would be useful on a 8K tablet ;)   But I doubt an 8k tablet is in the marketing plans of any Giant maker yet.  It must be feasible, as it would be the size of FOUR, 4k phone screen areas.  But the processing power, battery drain, would overwhelm the premise of a tablet..hoping technology overcomes some of these shortcomings.   Graphics drivers and processing power are often the weak link in these small devices vs. larger displays like PC and TVs.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:31 PM John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:
I have one of the earlier ViewMagic viewers, which was designed for viewing over-and-under images on a 1.33:1 aspect ratio screen, such that each eye-view would then be a 2.66:1 aspect ratio (like the original 2.66:1 CinemaScope images).  These were preceded by the KMQ viewers which achieved the same 2.66:1 aspect ratio using two wedge prisms instead of four mirrors.  Sometimes there was a very slight cropping with either of these viewers when a septum was part of the image area.  When this cropping existed, it was compensated for by changing the viewing distance, again applicable to both viewer designs.  Both viewing systems were used for viewing 3-D over-and-under films, like StereoVision, on a Moviola or other editing viewer (such as a flatbed), and could also be used for viewing them on a CRT television screen of that era, as well as on a videotap monitor showing the viewfinder image of the film camera. A videotap was the output of a small video camera mounted in the viewfinder tube of the film camera. For example, I used a KMQ for viewing StereoVision 3-D on a Steadicam monitor, as well as on a split-screen videotap viewfinding monitor on a helicopter with an Arriflex 35mm film camera fitted with a StereoVision lens.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM <bglick97@...> wrote:
regarding the view Magic... as I mentioned, maybe we have different versions?  Maybe I am confusing it with  Over  / Unders I have designed and built, which the best I could do was create square images, see the attached pictures...

What I am confident of, the mirrors surely can be longer (taller) vs. wider due to restrictions of IPD, we have that other eye in the way ;)   There is not much restricting the mirror height, the taller part of the image.   My VMagic is in storage...

Try this simple test..... take your VMagic, look at a large white paper close, mark the areas on the paper the VMagic can see withOUT moving the VMagic, advise of the aspect ratio, tall, vs. wide.  It's possible the VMagic restricts the tall part by restricting the window you look into,  to make it view wider vs taller, i.e. an intentional vignette. 
report back... I have not used it in 10 years, I could have easily forgotten! 
I noticed they did make two versions of the VMagic as well, report which one you have?  When the description says to veiew wider images, is this by sliding the VMagic L/R, or slide the Images L/R.  I do see the horizontal window you look into, so you might all be right, I am thinking they intentionally provided a vignette to keep the aspect ratio in landscape format.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM Bill Costa <Bill.Costa@...> wrote:
> [Another Bill has] written that the View Magic viewer will use tall
> images which are not ideal for 3D capture.
>
> As far as I know and I owe one View Magic under over viewer, the
> prints I am viewing are horizontally 6" wide and 4" tall. Even wider
> images can be viewed. The FOV is restricted because there are no
> lenses and the prints are far away.

I was also surprised at Bill's assertion.  The reason I got the
ViewMagic was for viewing panoramic 3D prints, for which it works
well.

...BC



Attachments:


Re: List and Info about various 3D groups on GIO

Laurent DOLDI (Toulouse, France)
 

Thank you François, I have subscribed to  Digital3Dviewers.

BTW I have uploaded a new image to Stereopix.
--
Laurent
https://stereopix.net/user:5vT19/


Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

robert mcafee
 

I believe Skype and some translator apps are supposed to work in (near) real time to translate audio. 

Anyone tried this?

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:52:42 AM EDT, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:


International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


Re: May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: Sony multi-terminal era

Antonio F.G.
 

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 09:59 AM, George Themelis wrote:
... synchronization via the use of flash...
Even though this method is very specialized (you cannot go around shooting like that)
It is not that specialized. You can get extremely good sync with most photos taken with flash, if you only care the camera does not pick up much ambient light. Or at least avoid the camera to pick ambient light where the fast action is.

Regards
   Antonio


Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

John Rupkalvis
 

An additional consideration.  The dual problems of differing time zones and differing languages are not new.  They both were addressed many years ago by ham radio operators (sometimes called amateur radio operators).  The solution was similar to what I had suggested.  That is, one person or group would make comments and raise questions, and these would be discussed and/or answered in a later transmission, in the often translated language of the intended receiving person(s), who then would continue the discussion in a manner not unlike that of email threads today.  We could do something similar now, with the added advantage of being able to transmit (stream) stereoscopic images and/or videos as well.  Correctly designed and planned out, this could be made convenient for virtual communications just about anywhere in the world.  And now, bandwidth considerations can be alleviated with modern codecs, which considering the time delay, can be lossy without severe audible or visual degradation, since time delay means packet transmission/reception becomes practical.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:52 PM John Rupkalvis via groups.io <stereoscope3d=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

John Rupkalvis
 

International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


Re: Platform Smartphone versus VR glasses #viewing #android #vrheadset

John Rupkalvis
 

I have one of the earlier ViewMagic viewers, which was designed for viewing over-and-under images on a 1.33:1 aspect ratio screen, such that each eye-view would then be a 2.66:1 aspect ratio (like the original 2.66:1 CinemaScope images).  These were preceded by the KMQ viewers which achieved the same 2.66:1 aspect ratio using two wedge prisms instead of four mirrors.  Sometimes there was a very slight cropping with either of these viewers when a septum was part of the image area.  When this cropping existed, it was compensated for by changing the viewing distance, again applicable to both viewer designs.  Both viewing systems were used for viewing 3-D over-and-under films, like StereoVision, on a Moviola or other editing viewer (such as a flatbed), and could also be used for viewing them on a CRT television screen of that era, as well as on a videotap monitor showing the viewfinder image of the film camera. A videotap was the output of a small video camera mounted in the viewfinder tube of the film camera. For example, I used a KMQ for viewing StereoVision 3-D on a Steadicam monitor, as well as on a split-screen videotap viewfinding monitor on a helicopter with an Arriflex 35mm film camera fitted with a StereoVision lens.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM <bglick97@...> wrote:
regarding the view Magic... as I mentioned, maybe we have different versions?  Maybe I am confusing it with  Over  / Unders I have designed and built, which the best I could do was create square images, see the attached pictures...

What I am confident of, the mirrors surely can be longer (taller) vs. wider due to restrictions of IPD, we have that other eye in the way ;)   There is not much restricting the mirror height, the taller part of the image.   My VMagic is in storage...

Try this simple test..... take your VMagic, look at a large white paper close, mark the areas on the paper the VMagic can see withOUT moving the VMagic, advise of the aspect ratio, tall, vs. wide.  It's possible the VMagic restricts the tall part by restricting the window you look into,  to make it view wider vs taller, i.e. an intentional vignette. 
report back... I have not used it in 10 years, I could have easily forgotten! 
I noticed they did make two versions of the VMagic as well, report which one you have?  When the description says to veiew wider images, is this by sliding the VMagic L/R, or slide the Images L/R.  I do see the horizontal window you look into, so you might all be right, I am thinking they intentionally provided a vignette to keep the aspect ratio in landscape format.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM Bill Costa <Bill.Costa@...> wrote:
> [Another Bill has] written that the View Magic viewer will use tall
> images which are not ideal for 3D capture.
>
> As far as I know and I owe one View Magic under over viewer, the
> prints I am viewing are horizontally 6" wide and 4" tall. Even wider
> images can be viewed. The FOV is restricted because there are no
> lenses and the prints are far away.

I was also surprised at Bill's assertion.  The reason I got the
ViewMagic was for viewing panoramic 3D prints, for which it works
well.

...BC



Attachments:


Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

Berezin Stereo <sbere@...>
 

LA3d club meets the third Thursday of every month at 7 PM Pacific time.  Anybody can join us.  Simply hit www.la3d.club to join the Zoom meeting.  

--
Steve Berezin
President 
La3d Club
Steve@...




--
Steve Berezin
Sbere@...

On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Linda N <ljnygren@...> wrote:


The recent  3D-con 2020 in virtual mode was a great success, IMO, even without the in-person hands-on component that we miss so much. (And hope to resume in 2021 in New Mexico, if possible). Much of the archived material from this year is available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzG_86_r4drw4k64ROenDgg

I am aware that several 3D clubs including LA3D and NYSA are having virtual meetings and seem to be making those open to the public. If leadership of these and hopefully other 3D clubs would welcome participation from non-local 3D folks, please consider posting invitations here on photo-3d. Time zones are often a challenge, but it would be a rare opportunity for many of us to connect with international clubs and their members during this time. Thanks. Linda N



Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

Wright Carlton
 

The virtual zoom session for the Sydney Stereo Camera Club occurs at 7PM Australian Eastern Standard Time, on the third Tuesday of each month (not December).  We welcome all visitors online, or indeed in Sydney if travel restrictions end!  Please contact Carlton Wright, the facilitator and President of the club, for an invitation to the zoom session.  His email is crwright2003@...





On Thursday, August 20, 2020, 11:30:15 PM GMT+10, Linda N <ljnygren@...> wrote:


The recent  3D-con 2020 in virtual mode was a great success, IMO, even without the in-person hands-on component that we miss so much. (And hope to resume in 2021 in New Mexico, if possible). Much of the archived material from this year is available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzG_86_r4drw4k64ROenDgg

I am aware that several 3D clubs including LA3D and NYSA are having virtual meetings and seem to be making those open to the public. If leadership of these and hopefully other 3D clubs would welcome participation from non-local 3D folks, please consider posting invitations here on photo-3d. Time zones are often a challenge, but it would be a rare opportunity for many of us to connect with international clubs and their members during this time. Thanks. Linda N



Re: May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: Sony multi-terminal era

John Rupkalvis
 

Should a twinned Sony be called a "Tony"?

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
For those who may not be aware yet, Linda created a new group specifically for those using or considering Sony cameras for twinning:

https://groups.io/g/Sony3d


I invite you to join.

Francois


Re: May, 1: A new era in 3D photography?: Sony multi-terminal era

John Rupkalvis
 

The Sinar Norma shutter for 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras would be good to look at.  If you prefer focal plane shutters, some of the earlier sheet film cameras, like the 4x5 Speed Graphic and Graphlex cameras were fitted with these.  The problem with those was that you had to reset the shutter speed after every exposure.  Also, they were rather noisy, with a rather loud "Galump" sound every time they were fired.  Some people actually made their own, including the rather interesting double-curtain "gravity shutter" design.  The edge of the curtain was fitted with a lead weight, so triggering the shutter just allowed it to drop, the shutter speed being determined by the size and weight.  Most manufactured versions were spring-loaded.  

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM DaveJes1979 via groups.io <davejes1979=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I realize we have discussed this before, but for newcomers it should be noted that  "perfect synch" is achievable by the use of a common external shutter.  While there are stand-alone shutter devices on the market, I doubt that any of them would be large enough to cover the lenses of two mirrorless cameras (although I might be wrong on that).

So that means one would likely be looking at a DIY project.  While I am a man of many mechanical talents, my expertise ends where the electronic hardware and software begin.  So I was never able to get the concept off of the drawing board.

On the mechanical side, the important trick is getting a fast-acting shutter mechanism that doesn't induce vibration to the camera.  That's a little tricky since an external shutter will have to move ~1.5" across the front of the lenses, on the order of 10 milliseconds or better.  The best candidate would be either a roller blind type shutter or a rotary shutter.  These are old-timey shutter types that aren't in use anymore, but they work.  For maximum flexibility in interaxial, one really needs to go with the roller blind design.  And it ought to be a double roller blind, so that there is a first and second curtain.


Re: Platform Smartphone versus VR glasses #viewing #android #vrheadset

Bill G
 

regarding the view Magic... as I mentioned, maybe we have different versions?  Maybe I am confusing it with  Over  / Unders I have designed and built, which the best I could do was create square images, see the attached pictures...

What I am confident of, the mirrors surely can be longer (taller) vs. wider due to restrictions of IPD, we have that other eye in the way ;)   There is not much restricting the mirror height, the taller part of the image.   My VMagic is in storage...

Try this simple test..... take your VMagic, look at a large white paper close, mark the areas on the paper the VMagic can see withOUT moving the VMagic, advise of the aspect ratio, tall, vs. wide.  It's possible the VMagic restricts the tall part by restricting the window you look into,  to make it view wider vs taller, i.e. an intentional vignette. 
report back... I have not used it in 10 years, I could have easily forgotten! 
I noticed they did make two versions of the VMagic as well, report which one you have?  When the description says to veiew wider images, is this by sliding the VMagic L/R, or slide the Images L/R.  I do see the horizontal window you look into, so you might all be right, I am thinking they intentionally provided a vignette to keep the aspect ratio in landscape format.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM Bill Costa <Bill.Costa@...> wrote:
> [Another Bill has] written that the View Magic viewer will use tall
> images which are not ideal for 3D capture.
>
> As far as I know and I owe one View Magic under over viewer, the
> prints I am viewing are horizontally 6" wide and 4" tall. Even wider
> images can be viewed. The FOV is restricted because there are no
> lenses and the prints are far away.

I was also surprised at Bill's assertion.  The reason I got the
ViewMagic was for viewing panoramic 3D prints, for which it works
well.

...BC




Encounters In The Third Dimension (3dMania) HSBS Depth Enhanced and AI Enhanced

Philip Heggie
 

Encounters In The Third Dimension (3dMania) HSBS Depth Enhanced and AI Enhanced yellow/blue Deanaglyphed

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ScjtjMeA6F6rMeKaT05uIkv2d509gj3w/view?usp=sharing

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: Another opinion on "why 3D died"

forum@trivision3d.com
 



Le 21/08/2020 à 15:25, ron labbe via groups.io a écrit :
Francois sez: For example, when I take a lenticular picture, I record eleven pictures so as to record more angles than a twin-lens camera could do.  And to really capture the whole three-dimensional subject, then we would need to move around it to pick up many other angles of view.
To say nothing of holography!

Perception of the world is different for each person.

ron labbe
studio 3D
_._,_._

JMH/trivision3d : Yes François, the perception of the world is different for each person...already those who wear corrective glasses .. they do not see the right place of things (look at the grey dice in the upper left corner, PDF)...look at a point with your glasses ... if you have (with only one eye will be more convincing), then without closing the eye remove your glasses... the object has moved. so imagine with 3D. François, you can also continue this discussion in French on the "Image-Stereo" list... the PDF in P-J in English, I also have it in French (publication of our article in a newspaper of film enthusiasts)

To take people with extreme binocular vision "Hypotelorism and hypertelorism", the distance of the eyes is and the elasticity or not of the oculomotors are important factors in the transformation of volumes, both in the "real" world and in the virtual world.

Hypothyroidism (eye distance 3 cm, for him the good 3D orthostereoscopic device is a LUMIX PANASONIC 3D orthostereoscopic device with a distance between lenses of 3 cm)... obviously, he doesn't have the same binocular vision (nor the same stereo image volume rendering) as a 5 year old child with an eye distance of 50 mm... and even less child of seven with 57mm an adult with minimum 58mm or 65mm or 73mm. See 3D volume transformation (PDF).

Hyperthyroidism... like this young girl have (77 mm)... for her an ortostereoscopic 3D cam will have too lenses space of 77mm (yes, the Fuji 3D W1).

Me with transforming stereoscopes to see the "real" world with different 3D volumes.

Ron : "To say nothing of holography!"...

If for a lenticular of 75 Lpi (and a good HD printer)... eleven frames is good, for a 100 Lpi (high 3D volume) and greater capacity of the number of frames Vs has 40 Lpi... and according to the resolution of the printer... I need to convert 2D/3D to realize 20 to 48 frames, but for a multiplex color hologram at 120°... it is 192 frames at different angles that I need to realize at least. And if you also want 3D in the vertical axis, you can add 45 up/dow stereo frames. But if you want a rendering (for the human eye) identical to a holographic laser shoot... it's 768 horizontal frames that you need and also a lot vertically... 768 frames too possible.... yes a total of 1536 frames at different angles H/V.



,_




Re: Platform Smartphone versus VR glasses #viewing #android #vrheadset

 

[Another Bill has] written that the View Magic viewer will use tall
images which are not ideal for 3D capture.
As far as I know and I owe one View Magic under over viewer, the
prints I am viewing are horizontally 6" wide and 4" tall. Even wider
images can be viewed. The FOV is restricted because there are no
lenses and the prints are far away.
I was also surprised at Bill's assertion. The reason I got the
ViewMagic was for viewing panoramic 3D prints, for which it works
well.

...BC

2801 - 2820 of 129371