Re: Phereo - revival and community support

robert mcafee

I would subscribe to Phereo as I have in the past. Others may as well. The problem is the site has gone down many times in the past few years and more recent images still show thumbnails but the images themselves are for some reason unviewable after a few months. The longer this goes on people will view the site as unreliable and move to other venues.

As for image ownership and changes to the site. I think a message on the site informing of the change asking image owners to delete any images before some date they don’t want to be transferred might be sufficient. Alternatively you could ask members to opt in to have images transferred and if they don’t then those images don’t move over

I think Flashplayer was in use for some aspects but this is discontinued. So there may be other issues why the site cannot be viable longer term (since it would need too much code to be re-written).

I very much like the StereoPix site also. I assume a team developed Phereo so it is amazing that StereoPix is developed by a single programmer. I have also contributed financially to StereoPix and encourage others to do as well. Keep in mind the developer of StereoPix has also given us PhereoRoll3D for easy viewing of Phereo images on PC, phone or tablet and he has also created StereoPix rooms used by clubs for online sharing of images for Zoom (or similar) meetings

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 6:24 AM, Alex Savin <karismafilms@...> wrote:

Hello! I though I could provide a bit of an update on Phereo current situation.

I've had a catch up with the original founder of Phereo last year with some goal of transferring it to community support and checking on the costs. As of right now I have access to the AWS S3 buckets containing all the images currently hosted on Phereo. There are also EC2 instances running the site and db to which I also have access.

The question is what can we do with this?

From what I can see there are a few challenges:

1. The photos still belong to their authors and we (probably) cannot freely do whatever we want with them. This is especially true since the "processor" is sort of changing - we'd probably have to establish a new entity and ask everyone on the service to agree for their data to be processed by new owners.
2. The project itself is basically abandoned at this stage. There is no funding too. With funding you could hire some devs to keep it going as is - or even keep improving it. Without budget this is pretty much dead in the water since a project of such scale needs some dev capacity almost daily just to keep it afloat.

Right now the site is maintained by an occasional developer hired by the original founder to solve the random issues arising from time to time. This cost some $$$ which is paid by the founder, and this will stop eventually.

I'm 100% open for suggestions - I'm also a web developer myself, however with a very limited amount of free time I can invest into this project. If there are more engineers in the crowd who are happy to spend some time figuring out this legacy project, let's have a catch up.