Re: base-to-base mounting for Sony RX-100 #twinrig #sony3drigs

George Themelis

Yes, you are approaching this the correct way.

Here is an example from my own shooting: When I use my phone to take single camera stereos, I use an app that calculates the deviation. If I want to end up with stereo pairs with about 3% deviation, I aim for something smaller than that (2% or 2.5%) because I know that, after cropping, the deviation will increase.

George

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 11:03 PM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] base-to-base mounting for Sony RX-100 #sony3drigs #twinrig

Thank you, George.  That helps a lot.  See if this makes sense:  The "rule of 30" says that if the scene includes an infinity point, the nearest object should be (at least) 30 times the distance between my cameras.  But if I know that I am going to enlarge the stereo image, then I should increase the near-object distance (when I take the photo) to 30 times the new stereo base value as calculated from the formula (including the enlargement factor, or the equivalent increased focal length).  Alternatively, I can crop off the nearer objects until the distance to the nearest remaining object is 30 times the new stereo base.  Is that a valid use of the formula?

Join main@Photo-3d.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.