Re: 3d-printed stereoscope update

robert mcafee

1) you may find you can reduce your costs and have other material options and 3D printing methods available using a company like Protolabs or Xomety - free online quotes. Better pricing in small volumes compared to only a couple pieces at a time
2) many of these materials shrink overtime or their dimensions and mechanical properties are (at least temporarily) affected by high humidity
3) protolabs also does plastic molding. An aluminum die good for up to 2,000 pieces could be around $3,000 (or more) but with low piece price costs. In quantities of 150 to 250 pieces this may be worthwhile.

I like to use an ABS like PLA - very dimensionally stable but higher temperature required to print. I will leave a piece in my hot car to see if it permanently deforms

On Monday, June 14, 2021, 3:37 PM, Matej Bohac <matej@...> wrote:

> Are you printing these yourself?  If yes, May I ask what printer you are
> using?

Yes, I have the Prusa MK3S

> What material are you using for the 3D printing?

I prefer PLA for these projects. I like the mechanical characteristics
and the way it looks. A little bit problematic is the low resistance to
higher temperatures - the viewer can warp when left in a car etc.

M.