Re: Rokit 3D phones

John Clement

But if you take a 3D picture, turn it into a Holmes card, and then view it is a Holmes viewer there is NO ghosting. I have never seen ghosting when I freeview SBS images.  So yes, all of the items in the list are true, and all are related to the method of viewing.  I pointed out the characteristics of images that are prone to look ghosted.   Some methods of SBS viewers such as Holmes viewers, View-Master, Realist format…. VR viewers have no ghosting, so it is in the presentation method that allows one side to bleed slightly into the other.  Supposedly the Dolby system that splits each color into R/L bands has much less ghosting.  Also the linear polarization method has been claimed to have less ghosting than the circular polarization.  The Shutter methods have ghosting if the screen has some persistence, or if the shutter does not perfectly overlap with the screen.  Even when black the shutter may will let some light through which also causes ghosting.  The diddling with the image just makes ghosting less obvious, but some bleed is still there.  And then there are the 3D presentation devices that are poorly designed such as the Rembrandt that I tried and returned.  Some people are much more sensitive to ghosting, which is also in the viewing and not the original image.

Of course the non-ghosting viewing methods have their problems such as poor lighting, reflections on the prints, or inability to converge free-views.  Digital copies of film never look exactly the same.  Printed SBS 3D viewed using lorgnette viewers will have distortion and color fringing, but no ghosting.

The author of the original article seemed to think the ghosting was in the image, while it really was in the presentation system that allows bleeding between the R/L images.  At present it is not physically possible to have a screen viewing system either with glasses or glasses free without some bleed through, but the pro movie producers have done a fairly good job of flattening the brightness range when it makes the ghosting obvious, or by changing the depth so the object of interest is near to the plane of the screen.  The images always have to be compromised.  A little light in your viewing room can also make ghosting less obvious.

John M. Clement

From: main@Photo-3d.groups.io <main@Photo-3d.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dariush Radpour via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 12:58 PM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] Rokit 3D phones

"Ghosting is caused by the viewing system, not the photograph.  The author complains of ghosting, but I would submit that viewing an SBS print in a Holmes viewer or in a good VR headset would get rid of the ghosting.  The Mickey photo would pose problems if it were displayed on a large screen, so the solution is to have the horizontal alignment adjusted to prevent wide separation of the background.  Mickey might then pop out.  Ghosting is obvious when you have images with very high contrast between light and dark areas with wide horizontal separation between L&R.  That is why the author saw ghosting in the car and Mickey images."

The ghosting problem is a very complex issue and depends on the endless factors!

It depends on your screen color set-up 

it depends if your ana-glasses are matched with your screen set-up

it depends if your printer's set-up is matched with your glasses

it depends on your experience to avoid too much strong light and shade contrast zones in your image close to each other and..

it depends that you kow how to use the de-ghosting method with photoshop.

cheers to all,

Dariush

Join main@Photo-3d.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.