From: main@Photo-3d.groups.io <main@Photo-3d.groups.io> On Behalf Of Linda N
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2020 2:48 PM
To: main@photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] Lume Pad Evaluation: SERIOUS LIMITATION

My two initial gripes with the Lume (pronounced "Loom") Pad which I received a few days ago are 1) the lack of a microSD slot (which is present on every other Android device I own). I was initially unable to access external content with a usb A thumb drive and the supplied adapter, but was able to do so later from a card reader with usb C connector. But having a drive sticking out of the tablet is much more clumsy than an internal slot. And total built in storage is only 128 gb.

2) the low resolution of the ST (stereo) and 4V modes on the device. Others have mentioned the pixel grid or window screen appearance seen in these modes but they apparently are not bothered by this. I find it quite noticeable, in part because I tend to view at about 14" (which is a comfortable focusing distance for me without glasses) rather than the recommended distance of 16-20".  I do not see this "window screen" effect at all when viewing on any of my other glasses-free 3D displays including the much older 10.1" Freevi/Commander 3D, with overall resolution of 1920 x 1200.  It all looks sharp and smooth to my eye in 3D. Different technology.

When viewing the supplied images in ST then 4V on the Lume Pad, I noticed that the "window screen" appearance seemed milder with ST display and more pronounced with 4V, presumably because resolution was half in ST and one fourth in 4V mode, of the basic 2560X1600 resolution? Of course the window screen effect is also more noticeable on certain plainer backgrounds, and on the playing card image there was a pronounced jaggedness on the card edges, especially diagonal edges.

In general, I personally thought that most images (theirs and mine) looked better in ST mode than 4V. Full depth, and no artifacts from the creation of the extra views, which were sometimes a problem. I would prefer a sharper full depth image rather than the ability to move my head around to different viewing angles, with less overall depth. One exception among my own images was one with way too much depth (foreground too close) , that looked better in 4V.

I noticed that the most recent upgrade of Leia Player on my Red Hydrogen One allows one to stay in ST (stereo) mode, and/or to choose from 2D ST and 4V with a single click without having to scroll through all the choices everytime you advance to another image or want to make a comparison. I hope that the Lume Pad version will have this ability soon, rather than reverting to 4V each time and requiring one to scroll through the 3 options when making a change.

I am glad that there is a new "3D" tablet option out there now, compatible with stereo viewing, even though "we " are not their main target  market. Linda N

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 12:15 AM Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Thanks, Etienne. If I get a chance, I will give this a try, but as you indicate, I am not optimistic.

Herb

On Nov 28, 2020, at 10:04 PM, Etienne Monneret (Perso) <emonneret@...> wrote:

Android being a Linux based system, you may give a try to ext2 or ext4 formatting.. without too much hope.

:)

Le 29/11/2020 à 06:26, Herb Weiner a écrit :

I was able to convert a 3D Side by Side Half Width movie to 2x2 format using LightfieldStudio. It took about 2 days to complete on my 2018 Mac Mini. I couldn't wait to watch it on my new Lume Pad.

I loaded the converted movie onto a 64 GB USB C Flash Drives, inserted the drive in the Lume Pad, and ... nothing. I was unable to access the Flash Drive, and there were no error messages.

I therefore downloaded File Manager + from the Google Play Store, and this did allow me to see the Flash Drive. But SURPRISE... When I clicked on the Flash Drive, a pop up message informed me that the Lume Pad does not support NTFS or EXFAT file formats. My only option was to format the Flash Drive in the ancient FAT-32 format. Of course, this ancient format does not support files larger than 4 GB, and my converted movie is a bit under 6 GB.

This is a SERIOUS LIMITATION. Why would anyone design a tablet with a USB C connector, and not support either NTFS or EXFAT?

I sure hope someone fixes this ASAP in the next software update.

Herb