Re: Human Eye as Image Sensor

robert mcafee

Regrettably this was a document in a newsletter without further attribution than the author’s name. Moreover the newsletter was available to subscribers only so not generally accessible

On Saturday, September 26, 2020, 10:05:23 AM EDT, Linda N <ljnygren@...> wrote:

Bob, thanks for the info that started this thread, but please also give the source of the text when you post content from others, not just the author.

I found a couple of other interesting sites (when trying to find your original reference).
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm This also compares the human eye to a camera. I find it odd that such a comparison hardly brings up binocular vision at all, except regarding field of view. But they do slip in this comment: "even though our eyes capture a distorted wide angle image, we reconstruct this to form a 3D mental image that is seemingly distortion-free".

Another article the same site addresses stereoscopic photography but only regarding "animated 3D stereo photography" aka "wobbles" or "wiggles" (many/most of us would agree with calling them "3D wobbles" but would disagree that these are "stereoscopic" per se, as in the title.)
They did acknowledge other 3D display methods but implied that these were too complicated or specialized for a general photographer to be interested, at least not as a beginner.  I did find it interesting that they suggested taking image pairs intended for this type of display with convergence at a mid-distance rather than parallel, for better rotation around a mid-distance point. -Linda

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM robert mcafee via groups.io <geargod2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Article stated shutter speed of human eye of 1/100 sec (0.01) not 1/1000 (0.001).

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:18:51 PM EDT, bglick97@... <bglick97@...> wrote:

AND, the SHARP FOV of the eye, in which the rays hit the FOVEA, the ONLY section of the eye which has sharp resolution is a total of 2 deg. of center vision.   If you try to read written text while focusing on one word from 15"+, and stay fixated on that word, and try to read the adjacent word or two, u will see how poor all of our vision is, other than the Foveal 2%.   The fact the eyes focus range is 55 deg is useless, as the resolution is so low to start with, nothing is resolvable.  Our peripheral vision is primarily for sensing movement and the existence of objects.
Video is at 24-60fps, eyelids don't blink at this speed.  The only real useful information was the eyes shutter speed is estimated at 1/1000s.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 8:57 AM timo@... <timo@...> wrote:
Also, the eye is a motion picture camera, not a still camera.

Timo