Re: Another formerly popular 3D system discontinued. Why?

John Rupkalvis

Stereoscopic 3-D is important for all distances.  Something at a distance will appear at a distance in 3-D.  A star field will appear to be near infinity in 3-D, but at the screen plane in 2-D, even when the screen is close, which is another example of the 2-D distortion.  Only with 3-D can the proportions for all distances be correct, while with 2-D they are distorted.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:13 AM John Rupkalvis via groups.io <stereoscope3d=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It is true that hyperstereo is a distortion, but it is a very minor distortion as compared to 2D where there is no depth at all.  2D is the greatest possible distortion in imaging.  In 3D, even with a normal interaxial, there are still normal depth proportions out for several hundred feet.  Some have claimed that 3D is limited to close-ups, which is very false.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM <bglick97@...> wrote:
>  Since the result shows depth where our eyes cannot perceive depth, needless to say, such stereo images of distant scene are clearly distortions of reality as perceived by humans.  Only a 2D image can show an accurate depiction of subjects beyond the stereoscopic field.

             BINGO... this discussion has gone full circle.  Yes, it is amazing to me how much 3d I view which is a distortion vs. our unaided vision, mainly Hypers as u suggest, but also macros.  And quite often the case, with just normal 3d photography when the taking base is typically wider than avg. human eye spacing due to inability to get lens centers closer.  It is also a fair statement, that a distant scene can only be represented fairly (non distorted) with 2d image(s).

I much rather view a 2d scene vs. a 3d scene which is miniaturized (distorted) due to excessive taking interoc.   Assuming I want a realistic representation of the scene.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:06 PM Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Bil makes a good point when he brings up subject matter located beyond the stereoscopic field.  As he points out, at these distances, the left and right views are identical.  They are FLAT.  Therefore, whether one takes a single picture or two pictures spaced 65mm apart, the two images will look virtually identical...

However, we stereoscopic nuts have a trick up our sleeve.  We call it "hyperstereo".  So we widen the interaxial much beyond the distance between our human eyes and create a stereo image which contradicts what our eyes see.   Since the result shows depth where our eyes cannot perceive depth, needless to say, such stereo images of distant scene are clearly distortions of reality as perceived by humans.  Only a 2D image can show an accurate depiction of subjects beyond the stereoscopic field.