Re: Panasonic Lumix 3d lens with Close-up Lenses vs Spacers Test

Hi, John. I would want it just for the 3D lens, since the GH2 gives  slightly higher resolution images from the "automatic mpo" function compared to standard sensor models, and the theory is that it might do the same in other models if they had this type of sensor. Even the 20 mp sensor of the gx8 returns only 1824 x 1368 per side mpo images (for unknown reasons), while the multi aspect sensor on the 16+ mp GH2 results in 1920 x 1440 images. Somehow the GH2 seems to be unique in this regard, presumably due to the multi-aspect sensor. Some of us are "lazy" and prefer to get usable images right out of the camera. But 1920 wide would be nice rather than 1824.

It sounds as if you routinely use your  3D lens with contacts covered or otherwise inactivated so that you can use video? And you also get stills of  2000+ on each side with the 20mp GH5, after editing? Have you tried the camera for stills with an unmodified (contacts) 3D lens? Perhaps it will capture a wider pixel resolution image even though the 20 mp gx8 does not do any better than the gx1 & gx7. I am curious what the "automatic mpos" would show for pixel dimensions in 4:3 and also in 1:1 aspect ratio with your GH5. Linda

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 3:30 PM John Hart <hart3d@...> wrote:
Why would you want such a "multi aspect sensor"?  I would prefer to use full width of a 4:3 sensor for all aspect ratios higher (like 16:9, 3:2) => better resolution.
This is what GH5 does:  4:3 is 5184x3888, 16:9 is 5184x2920, 3:2 is 5184x3456 but 1:1 is 3888x3888 (as constrained by height of sensor).
For video the full sensor is used but the output is resized to the mode (HD, UHD, C4K, 6K).

With just 3D-lens on washers, and no toe in prism effect, I typically get almost HD (~1850wide per side) video for my subjects AFTER registration using C4K mode.  Stills are easily above 2000 wide for most subjects not too close.  Real close requires toe in to get above HD.  If you had perfect toe in, the LR resolution would be about 2400 x1350 or 2400 x 1800 for 16:9 (my standard use) and 4:3, after cropping out the septum effect.

HTH,  John