Re: 3Discover

robert mcafee

Can you share some images?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 02:46:55 PM EDT, Barry Aldous <barry@...> wrote:

Rather than a large achromatic lens in it’s entirety, I have made a panel that carries two 35mm x 35mm square prismatic lenses that I recovered from an old Brewster viewer.  This panel is attached by Velcro to the front of the View Magic viewer bringing the viewing distance of my iPad to 150mm.  From this, I reckon that the hole assembly of viewer based on two Xperia phones would be about 160 mm cube.  At the moment I use my iPad mounted at 150mm distance and it works fine with no synchronisation issues to worry about and the bonus of having a player app that provides automatic panoramic viewing of very wide images.

During my local club meetings, my table top mounted viewer is left running in slideshow mode, throughout the meeting – Happy Days!

If I was to get a second Xperia phone, I would use the View Magic viewer I have as the basis of the new cubic assembly and mount this  onto a heavy desktop mike stand;  I use such a mounting for my current Xperia and Cycloptal3D viewer.

What would really be good is an 8K tablet!

Barry Aldous

From: timo@...
Sent: 08 September 2020 19:00
To: main@Photo-3d.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] 3Discover

Seems it could be done with large achromat lenses, instead of the simple prisms on the KMQ, like with the Keystone Telebinocular (which does it horizontally offset instead of vertically in this case). It would be a smaller simpler design, which could compensate for the expensive lenses.

Timo

On Sep 8, 2020, at 1:26 PM, bglick97@... wrote:

I love the premise of the KMQ...but as always, the limiting factor is FOV...

from Wiki..

In general, the prisms achieve a 19° viewing angle.

it would be interesting if the fov can be increased in a product like this...

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:54 AM John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:

I have a View-Magic mirror viewer and a KMQ prismatic viewer.  I find the KMQ more convenient and easier to use for most over-and-under subject matter.  The KMQ is also easier to clean with less likelihood of getting scratches on the optical surfaces.

John A. Rupkalvis

stereoscope3d@...

Picture

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:29 AM akdens2 via groups.io <akdens2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 05:38 PM, Barry Aldous wrote:

I wonder if you have considered using a ViewMagic (above below) viewer

I have considered and even have suggested using a View Magic viewer in another thread (Platform for smartphone versus VR)
The angle of view of the View Magic is narrow which diminishes the depth effect. If you want to use lenses to bring the displays closer, the horizontal dimensions of mirrors(related to facial dimensions) will not permit the widening of the angle.

After exchanges of ideas I am convinced that a Wheatstone type viewer with minimum viewing distance like the one as shown in my latest plan is a better solution.

Oktay