Re: 3D Macro & Panasonic FT-012 3D lens

robert mcafee

I have designed and fabricated a slip on adapter that fits securely over the FT-012 3D lens and allows close up lenses to be attached (or if desired a colored or polarizer filter for example). Results are much better with multi-element achromatic close up lenses (though these are much more expensive than simple diopter close up lenses  usually purchased in a set).

I provide adapter with 49 or 52mm thread, +4 or +5 achromatic 49mm close up lens or 52mm +10 non-achromatic multi-element, front lens cap and rear slip in cap for adapter.

If interested please contact me off list and I can provide pictures, non-dimensioned 3D drawing, and pricing. I have only 2 pieces to sell.  If there was enough interest to sell 20 pieces I would purchase a 3D printer to make more of these and possibly develop other items for 3D. I had investigated having these produced as 3D printed by Protolabs but their cost was too high. It may be more economical to produce my design with drill and lathe. My lathe is currently not under power

David Schwimmer has also produced a similar design. As I understand his is produced in a SLS 3D printing process in Nylon.  SLS produces a better surface but is more expensive than SLA. David was selling just the adapter with filter thread.  David has also designed and is/was selling the 3D Duo mount for a pair of Samsung NX1000 or NX1100 cameras. His 3D Duo allows the lens spacing to be increased (as with a z-bar). I purchased one of these 3D Duo mounts second hand (apparently unused) but I have not tried it out yet (still using the Werner mount).  It is a SLS Nylon part.

Bob in Central NY

On Sunday, September 6, 2020, 02:05:02 PM EDT, Depthcam via groups.io <depthcam@...> wrote:

> I believe Timo has successfully used the Panasonic FT-012 3D lens on a Samsung NX with a lens mount adapter

He mounts his FT-012 3D lens on a Sony A5100 using an adapter available on eBay.

> but in any event he has successfully used it on a camera other than Panasonic.

Yes but in cases where the lens is used on other cameras, the picture fills the entire frame and records as a regular JPG, while when it is used with a compatible Lumix camera, the camera reframes the shot and saves the reframed image as an MPO.  Also, it displays a single image of the pair on the preview screen.

> In a day or 2 I will post an image of my adapter for the Panasonic 3D lens on the sell 3D group. I designed and fabricated this for myself and made a few spares

I am not clear if you are referring to an adpater to mount the lens on other cameras or the adapter you designed to mount CU lenses on the front of the 3D lens.  Which is it ?