Re: Virtual 3D Club gatherings?

John Rupkalvis

If all languages were absolute, real time translations would actually work.  In the real world, however, most languages have different meanings depending upon the context.  The same word may mean several different things depending upon how it is used, including other words used in the same sentence or paragraph or entire text.  Direct, literal translations must be based upon a specific definition for each word, that may or may not apply to the specific application.  It may even indicate the opposite of the meaning intended. I have seen some "machine translations" that were absolutely hilarious as to how they read out as compared to the original writer's intent.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 5:27 AM robert mcafee via groups.io <geargod2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I believe Skype and some translator apps are supposed to work in (near) real time to translate audio.

Anyone tried this?

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:52:42 AM EDT, John Rupkalvis <stereoscope3d@...> wrote:

International stereo club meetings and stereo conferences can be streamed, with the caveats not only of different times, but also in some cases of different languages.   One possible workaround would be to introduce an intentional delay such that each meeting would be recorded and seen later, with questions and comments answered at the following meeting in several translated languages at times that would be convenient for the receiving locations.  I am reasonably certain that Zoom and the other virtual meeting systems could accommodate such a system.

John A. Rupkalvis
stereoscope3d@...

Picture